Need help with a multi zone Apple audio set up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-27-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 192
My friend put this question to me and since I'm more of a Windows/htpc guy I wasn't sure of the best way to tackle it.

He has an ipad and an iphone. His goals are

-to keep the ipad docked near entertainment center
-to connect the ipad to a receiver he intends to purchase
-to get music from that ipad's internal storage to his patio
-to be able to control the playlists outside from his iphone

he intends to use the ipad almost like a server. can the ipad share it's audio files with an iphone, the way two networked computers could? in that case, I would think the easiest way to accomplish this would be to simply buy an iphone dock to keep outside and to connect to the ipad wirelessly to share it's audio files.

any other suggestions on how to best accomplish this set up? when we're looking at components, what airplay features do we want, or is it something else we should look for?

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-27-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

My friend put this question to me and since I'm more of a Windows/htpc guy I wasn't sure of the best way to tackle it.

He has an ipad and an iphone. His goals are

-to keep the ipad docked near entertainment center
-to connect the ipad to a receiver he intends to purchase
-to get music from that ipad's internal storage to his patio
-to be able to control the playlists outside from his iphone

he intends to use the ipad almost like a server. can the ipad share it's audio files with an iphone, the way two networked computers could? in that case, I would think the easiest way to accomplish this would be to simply buy an iphone dock to keep outside and to connect to the ipad wirelessly to share it's audio files.

any other suggestions on how to best accomplish this set up? when we're looking at components, what airplay features do we want, or is it something else we should look for?

airport express or appleTV will do the trick
post #3 of 15 Old 02-28-2012, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

im not sure those are the ticket. isnt an airport express a fancy router, and the apple tv I don't believe is what they want because this is to play music outside. unless the apple tv can broadcast the mp3s from the ipad to the iphone.

i think he's trying to make this too complex. if it were me I'd store the mp3s on a simple NAS and play them to the iphone on a dock outside or to the ipad docked at the home theater.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
post #4 of 15 Old 02-28-2012, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

OK I'm sorry your not sure but I am quite sure. so you can choose not listen but what I told you is correct and works well. do some reading.... Its pretty clear if you read the apple product pages...
post #5 of 15 Old 02-29-2012, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

OK I'm sorry your not sure but I am quite sure. so you can choose not listen but what I told you is correct and works well. do some reading.... Its pretty clear if you read the apple product pages...

attitude much?

My HTPC front end set up
post #6 of 15 Old 02-29-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

ideas
attitude much?

Hey Pitt. Although Sean's response might have been a bit aggressive, the point he was trying to make is that the Airport does exactly what your friend wants....and has soooo much flexibility to do even more. I set up my house with multiple zones using a combination of airports and ATVs. The ATV doesn't need to be connected to a tv except for initial setup but for audio only I think the airport is the better choice.....and no the airport isn't just a wireless router but a full function AirPlay audio access point wireless or wired. I have one in my garage that feeds an old Sony receiver connected to a set of speakers in the garage and another set in the backyard. I can stream content from my iPad or Touch directly to it, as well as other Airports in the house. I also use my IPad as a remote device for playing back all of my iTunes content on my PC which I can direct to any or all of the Airports or ATVs. Visiting friends and family can also stream from their iDevices to any of my Airports....pretty cool at parties when someone wants to play DJ or just share a song, pictures, videos, etc.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-29-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

i appreciate that response.

now im more confused by the airport.

you have it connected to your receiver via rca audio correct? at that point why not just plug your ipods headphone jack directly into the receiver? can you play different things to more than one location at a time?

can you access something stored on your ipad from your touch and send it through the airport? that could be the right track if he went with a two zone receiver.

how do you use the atv without seeing the menus? does the iphone control program allow the phone screen to see the menus and whatnot?

i suggested using his boxee box and attached hard drive as a nas and using that as his server instead of the ipad. with that he would have a lot of choices from sonos to an iphone dock.

My HTPC front end set up
post #8 of 15 Old 02-29-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i appreciate that response.

now im more confused by the airport.

you have it connected to your receiver via rca audio correct? at that point why not just plug your ipods headphone jack directly into the receiver? can you play different things to more than one location at a time?

can you access something stored on your ipad from your touch and send it through the airport? that could be the right track if he went with a two zone receiver.

how do you use the atv without seeing the menus? does the iphone control program allow the phone screen to see the menus and whatnot?

i suggested using his boxee box and attached hard drive as a nas and using that as his server instead of the ipad. with that he would have pict a lot of choices from sonos to an iphone dock.

I connect mine via mini optical for a all digital feed. You can connect via mini to RCA as well....digital sounds much better

Why lock the device to something with a cable? Makes a portable device kinda worthless no? I can surf the web or work in Apps while listening.......multitasking

You can listen to different material if the source is different meaning streaming from iPad or Touch and using remote app from iTunes PC content to another.

Yes, you can stream directly from iPads,Touches and Phones. Stored content or Internet radio,such as Pandora, LastFm, etc

ATV2 becomes a simple AirPlay client. Plays back whatever you direct at it as AirPlay overrides all functionality. Streams video,
post #9 of 15 Old 03-02-2012, 08:43 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

in that case, I would think the easiest way to accomplish this would be to simply buy an iphone dock to keep outside and to connect to the ipad wirelessly to share it's audio files.

For the patio I would go with a dock/speaker combo. However, instead of connecting to the iPad, if he turns on Home Sharing in iTunes and on the iPhone, he can access all of his music in iTunes from the iPhone without syncing.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-02-2012, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsona View Post

For the patio I would go with a dock/speaker combo. However, instead of connecting to the iPad, if he turns on Home Sharing in iTunes and on the iPhone, he can access all of his music in iTunes from the iPhone without syncing.

But that requires bringing a dock in and out for each use AND encumbering the iPad to it......why? A simple set of outdoor speakers and a cheap used or existin
post #11 of 15 Old 03-03-2012, 05:12 PM

Get an apple TV, connect via HDMI to the receiver, and connect via optical to this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Analog audio cables will connect to an input on the receiver. This will allow him to play Zone 2 through his Apple TV so he can hear it on his patio. Put the music on the iPhone or Ipad, take the iPad outside to the patio and control his music from the iPad. Or use the remote app to control an iTunes library pushed to the Apple TV.

This is the BEST solution for what he wants.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

been there and done that with the monoprice adapter.

That optical adapter has some glitches with the ATV2. I can't recommend it.

try another brand.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 05:51 AM

Liked: 32
The airmusic app works, if they keep the music in mp3 format, otherwise aac will not play back. There is also Sonos, which is getting great reviews. http://www.crutchfield.com/g_228550/...ems.html?avf=N
http://www.sonos.com/
post #14 of 15 Old 12-22-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlineho View Post

Get an apple TV, connect via HDMI to the receiver, and connect via optical to this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Analog audio cables will connect to an input on the receiver. This will allow him to play Zone 2 through his Apple TV so he can hear it on his patio. Put the music on the iPhone or Ipad, take the iPad outside to the patio and control his music from the iPad. Or use the remote app to control an iTunes library pushed to the Apple TV.

This is the BEST solution for what he wants.

Has anyone come up with a solution to this issue? I just picked up the latest Apple TV and I'm trying to do the same thing...not only play it in the theater/TV room, but also be able to output the music to a set of outdoor speakers. A couple of questions...

1. Will the Apple TV simultaneously output via the optical audio out AND the HDMI? I figured it would be one or the other.
2. If the Monoprice converter is not the best option, what brand do y'all recommend? Something sold in stores (possibly Radio Shack...I'm sure Best Buy has nothing like this).

Thanks for the help!!!
post #15 of 15 Old 12-22-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the ATV will send audio simultaneous over HDMI and optical.

Don't know about optical to analog converters on the cheap.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page