I actually have the same case, my build is as follows:
Norco RPC-4224
Supermicro X7SPA-H-D525
4GB Mushkin SO-DIMM DDR3 1333
Corsair TX650 PSU
3x Datoptic SPM94 Port Multiplier
5x Samsung F4 2TB in RAID5 on one SPM394
5x Seagate XT 3TB in RAID5 on one SPM394
5x Western Digital Green 3TB in RAID5 on one SPM394 (Just added these a few weeks ago).

I originally built mine with FreeNAS, and I have been unhappy with the latest version. Version 7 had all the fun stuff that is good for a Home Media Server, while Version 8 has it all stripped out and is certainly more geared towards Enterprise use.
I have been unhappy with the performance I've gotten from the storage pool. It's common for my wife to be playing a 1080p MKV on the big TV using a WDTV player, my son to be playing a SD AVI file on his old CRT on his WDTV, and for me to watch a 720p MKV from my desktop. When we do that, we often experience stuttering. And if we add in ANY kind of other HD usage (downloading torrents, unarchiving the torrent, moving it, etc), then it is pretty much unwatchable. We have wired Cat6 throughout the house, and the two Gigabit ports on the Mobo are bound, and we have a nice 24port Gigabit Switch, so it is clear the hangup is the storage pool.

I am looking to move to WHS right now (if I can figure out where to get a copy), and I am thinking I will use FlexRaid. The port multipliers are great, but I have to add 5 drives at a time, which is like $1k to do so. So, I can add a drive here and there until I get to that point, then I can get another multiplier and reconfigure the storage pool.

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 Old 08-02-2012, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, just though I'd jump in with my two cents. Don't count out a Cloud Media Server built on Linux as a viable alternative to Windows Home Server. I ran WHS for a while, and just wasn't that impressed. I'm only running 6TB right now on a singular logical volume (but plan on adding more soon with a raid 5 or 6 setup), but it works flawlessly on my Linux stack. I'm also running some slick automation software on top, which is why I'm almost out of space in such a short time after building it. Using Boxee Box (while buggie) as my frontend, streams high-def movies pretty seamlessly, however I'm exploring other frontend solutions. Anyway, I documented the build and it may be solution for some looking for an alternative to a windows based system.

Check out the newest build here:
Flawless Cloud Media Center Build v2 - Linux Mint Cinnamon Remix!

Also, watch me repurpose my HTPC into V1 of my Cloud Media Server
Build A Flawless Cloud Media Server Using Your Existing HTPC

Hopefully, anyone looking for an alternative solution will enjoy.

Forgot to include my server specs...

AMD X4 960t unlocked to 6 cores
ASUS M4A785TD-M
16GB Patriot DDR3
Antec 300 Case
6TB of Storage
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page