which sub $100 hd media player can sort files by date modified? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-29-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i've been searching around and doing research for my first hd media player. i currently use an original Xbox with XBMC and it has been great for standard def. material and now i need a player that can handle HD material. i know all the media players can do this, but which can sort the media files by date/size? it would make things a little easier for me to decide which player to purchase as i can quickly find and play my latest media.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-29-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I'm 99% sure the popbox v8 does but its 129$ so over your budget
post #3 of 10 Old 02-29-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Meez,

Amazon now has the Netgear NeoTV 550 for $95.

I don't think it sorts by size, but it does sort by "Recently Added". I don't know if that is creation-date of modified-date, as I use mine for Blu-Ray and DVD rips (so creation and modified dates are the same). They show up on the movie-wall in the reverse-order that they were ripped.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-29-2012, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

i can't believe a file sort feature is overlooked in these media players. or the chip manufacturers overlook this. i'm definitely looking at a jailbroken ATV2 and installing XBMC on it. with the ATV3 being unveiled next week, maybe a price drop for the ATV2?

right now, i have it down to the WDTV Live SMP, AIOS, or the ATV2.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-29-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Remember atv2 does not output past 720p so no 1080p if you need it, and the wdtv live does not do dts-hd or truehd if i remember right if you get into HD audio down the road.

The reason most dont do this is most people run some sort of external jukebox, which keeps tracks of things for you
post #6 of 10 Old 02-29-2012, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeZ01 View Post

i've been searching around and doing research for my first hd media player. i currently use an original Xbox with XBMC and it has been great for standard def. material and now i need a player that can handle HD material. i know all the media players can do this, but which can sort the media files by date/size? it would make things a little easier for me to decide which player to purchase as i can quickly find and play my latest media.

thanks!

The Apple TV 2 can process a lot of 1080p content though it only outputs 720p and can be hacked to run XBMC.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-29-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

don't really need 1080p right now as i will be hooking up this media player in the bedroom to a 720p hdtv. so the atv2-xbmc just might be what i need. plus, i have a lot of files in my library and i need to find files easier by file sorting. xbmc can handle all that. in fact, i installed xbmc on my ipod touch and added my network share and was playing 720p over the wifi.

that could narrow down my choice unless there is some other player i missed that can sort files.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-01-2012, 01:07 PM

u should take a look at the boxee,it sorts files a-z or files modified(one of the reasons i got it).but one thing.it has some issues with the volume with files.so far my brother likes it cuz he was used to xbox xbmc and once i got him the boxee box it's just like xbox xbmc.buy it at amazon if u dont like it then return it.easy cheesy i was told in the popbox forums it can sort by date but it cant stretch files from 4:3 to 16:9 on dvds,maybe they changed that.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-01-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeZ01 View Post

i can't believe a file sort feature is overlooked in these media players. or the chip manufacturers overlook this. i'm definitely looking at a jailbroken ATV2 and installing XBMC on it. with the ATV3 being unveiled next week, maybe a price drop for the ATV2?

right now, i have it down to the WDTV Live SMP, AIOS, or the ATV2.

I would further narrow it down to either the ATV2 or the WDTV Live. If you like XBMC and don't mind jailbreaking the the ATV2 is a great choice, especially if you have an iDevice. The new ATV, if it is released, will have the disadvantage of not being jailbroken. Who knows what will happen with that.

For streaming wirelessly it's hard to beat the ATV2. The Roku2 is also interesting if you like Plex. It does 1080p but I find I prefer the 720p of the ATV2 better for some odd reason when streaming. Perhaps the TV is doing something.

In any case you can always try both the WDTV and the ATV and see which is better for you.

I think it's hard to beat XBMC Eden and other than an HTPC there are few players that handle it.

The Boxee Box would be another option but it's almost twice the price and uses an Intel SoC with no future.

philip
post #10 of 10 Old 03-01-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

The Boxee Box would be another option but it's almost twice the price and uses an Intel SoC with no future.

And not a very glorious past, either.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page