Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 66 Old 03-14-2012, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

From the very beginning I've been ripping, storing and streaming the main_title BD.m2ts files. Menus, extras, BD Live -- I have no interest in any of that nonsense and just want to watch the movie. A full BD.iso would just be a waste of my disk space.

How much space savings do you realize?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 Old 03-14-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgavin View Post

How much space savings do you realize?

Depends entirely on how much junk the publisher puts on the disk. Most of my BD.m2ts files are in the 20-35GB range. I don't really look to see how big the full disk rip is because it only stays on my HDD until I have finished extracting the main title.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #63 of 66 Old 03-14-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Depends entirely on how much junk the publisher puts on the disk. Most of my BD.m2ts files are in the 20-35GB range. I don't really look to see how big the full disk rip is because it only stays on my HDD until I have finished extracting the main title.

Most rips top out in the 35-45gb range so most you are saving is 10gb or so
post #64 of 66 Old 03-19-2012, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My guess is, the reason why this market seems to be 'dead' is that those who wanted a media player already has one and are using their current hardware until it dies.

Also, more and more TV's and Blu-Ray players (or others, like Ruku and Boxee Box), are getting more services integrated like Vudu, Netflix, and similar services, which can negate the need for a media player like a Dune.

Or..another reason may be is that these players can be a hassle to set up - especially if you want to set it up properly (that means networking - making sure the PC and Dune/media player 'sees' one another on the network and can pass files back and forth, adding in programs to make a user-friendly interface like yadis, buying the hard drives needed - and external bays if needed..etc etc. This can be quite a chore and sometimes overwhelming for those who want everything to be working as fast as possible.
post #65 of 66 Old 03-19-2012, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBlade View Post

My guess is, the reason why this market seems to be 'dead' is that those who wanted a media player already has one and are using their current hardware until it dies.

Also, more and more TV's and Blu-Ray players (or others, like Ruku and Boxee Box), are getting more services integrated like Vudu, Netflix, and similar services, which can negate the need for a media player like a Dune.

Or..another reason may be is that these players can be a hassle to set up - especially if you want to set it up properly (that means networking - making sure the PC and Dune/media player 'sees' one another on the network and can pass files back and forth, adding in programs to make a user-friendly interface like yadis, buying the hard drives needed - and external bays if needed..etc etc. This can be quite a chore and sometimes overwhelming for those who want everything to be working as fast as possible.

Which blows me away that Dune had the nerve to increase their prices so much. Heck, they don't even have Netflix and all those commercial online content.
post #66 of 66 Old 03-19-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

Which blows me away that Dune had the nerve to increase their prices so much. Heck, they don't even have Netflix and all those commercial online content.

They aren't going to sell many. Most people are moving on and in any case they want premium services. Their market is just going to keep shrinking.

philip
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page