pls recommend me a media player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-15-2012, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pls help me. I don't need streaming but I want a very good video/audio quality and should be able to play most ofthe files. Preferably Sigma or the later realtek chipset which can play Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-15-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I bet you will find a lot of posts if you were to google it.

Buy a Dune Player. If you have questions read the other posts.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #3 of 8 Old 03-15-2012, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't buy anything from Syabas........that is all!!!
post #4 of 8 Old 03-15-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Why do you say that? I've owned an A-110, C-200, A-200, PopBox, PopBox v8, and now A-300, and all have been fine for the most part, except for the first-gen PopBox. That was crappy at launch, but even it by now isn't bad for the money.

Dune is a solid player, but with the recent price increase, I don't think it's worth it. I've got PopBox v8 and PCH A-300 running YAMJ+Eversion for my movies w/hd audio, and they run well. Yes, there are some minor bugs with A-300, but no showstoppers. Also, the stock and jukebox UI's on these beat Dune's. Just my opinions, so Dune lovers, don't flame me .

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #5 of 8 Old 03-15-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 59
You cant go wrong with PCH or Dune the main factor is going to be your budget, take something like the v8 at 129$ or step up to A300 at 219$ or step up to the Dunes which I think are almost all priced at 400$+ with the exception of the D1 coming in at 340$

As for realteks I have never had much luck with them always had audio issues, so I dont recommend them to anyone
post #6 of 8 Old 03-15-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If you want the most stable, flexible and reliable player, get a Dune Smart series... they just work.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-15-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

You cant go wrong with PCH or Dune the main factor is going to be your budget, take something like the v8 at 129$ or step up to A300 at 219$ or step up to the Dunes which I think are almost all priced at 400$+ with the exception of the D1 coming in at 340$

As for realteks I have never had much luck with them always had audio issues, so I dont recommend them to anyone

I used to own a PCH-A300, and I had a horrible experience with it. The internal NMJ / Jukebox would not let me edit anything. I had to scan all of my media every time I added a new movie, which took hours to complete. The worse part was that it lost sound with every movie that had True HD sound track. I had to switch to the secondary AC3 track to get the sound back.

I tried to set up the YAMJ / Eversion, but could not access it via A300. It keep asking me for user name and password.

However, when it did worked, it played the movie fine. Furthermore, my wife and kids had a hard time navigating it and troubleshooting it whenever something went wrong. I just got tired of it and after 3 weeks of ownership, I decided to return it.

It's sad to say it, but my AIOS ($89.99) played all my files better than the A300.

The Dune was plug and play. Combine it with Zappiti, and "it just works." It is sad that the Dune cost more now. I was lucky and bout mine a week prior to the price increase.

However, there are many PCH-A300 owners who are happy with it.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #8 of 8 Old 03-15-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I used to own a PCH-A300, and I had a horrible experience with it. The internal NMJ / Jukebox would not let me edit anything. I had to scan all of my media every time I added a new movie, which took hours to complete. The worse part was that it lost sound with every movie that had True HD sound track. I had to switch to the secondary AC3 track to get the sound back.

I tried to set up the YAMJ / Eversion, but could not access it via A300. It keep asking me for user name and password.

However, when it did worked, it played the movie fine. Furthermore, my wife and kids had a hard time navigating it and troubleshooting it whenever something went wrong. I just got tired of it and after 3 weeks of ownership, I decided to return it.

It's sad to say it, but my AIOS ($89.99) played all my files better than the A300.

The Dune was plug and play. Combine it with Zappiti, and "it just works." It is sad that the Dune cost more now. I was lucky and bout mine a week prior to the price increase.

However, there are many PCH-A300 owners who are happy with it.

I dont hold NMJ as a flaw nothing says you have to use it, Its like saying you dislike dune cause you could not get mymovies to work, While there is a learning curve on yamj it does work good once you get it going, There is the HD audio bug But after further investigation seems it only effected iso/bdmv people I Run mkv with HD so never had a problem, They are still waiting on sigma for the fix for the HD audio

But like I say in all my threads find what works for you and keep with it. For me I had older dune models back in the day and they did not just work for me, PCH has always been pretty solid so I keep with them, recently tried out the nixeus to but wont comment much on it. I learned long ago There is 20 different formats and 1000 different ways to make each one Some players are better at handling some and others at another. I would say I have owned over 25 different model players, and Currently own 9 different players that I mess around with.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page