cheapest way to get a browser on a TV?? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Gaming & Content Streaming > Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming > cheapest way to get a browser on a TV??

Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

sludgepickle's Avatar sludgepickle
03:13 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 6
03-17-2012 | Posts: 1
I want two things:

1) a web browser on my 47" LG LCD TV. I want to be able to go to certain TV websites to watch shows/video clips, such as:

* Natgeotv
* HGTV
* BYUTV

2) a way to watch Amazon *PRIME* Instant Video on my TV

I have a TiVo HD already for Netflix, Amazon Instant Video (although I also want PRIME video access which TiVo doesn't yet support), Pandora, etc. So...the solutions I can think of are:

1) get an HTPC or Nettop like an Acer AspireRevo with HDMI video card and wifi card. (This is the simplest but not the cheapest solution.)
2) get a Roku (great to give me Amazon Prime video, but no web browser)
3) get a Google-TV or other web console (Sony or Logitech...great for web & widgets/apps, will it allow Amazon Prime video?)
4) Some weird combination of the above options.

Any advice is much appreciated!
streamerlover's Avatar streamerlover
03:15 PM Liked: 11
post #2 of 6
03-17-2012 | Posts: 933
got a laptop? add a cable, done..
there are also pretty cheap barbones sytems you can build for about $150 if you are handy..
balboa dave's Avatar balboa dave
12:46 AM Liked: 14
post #3 of 6
03-18-2012 | Posts: 219
Logitech Revue supports everything you're asking about.
mbryanr's Avatar mbryanr
08:39 AM Liked: 11
post #4 of 6
03-18-2012 | Posts: 539
Get a Panasonic TV..
Mr.G's Avatar Mr.G
09:19 AM Liked: 121
post #5 of 6
03-18-2012 | Posts: 3,565
Many people get multiple streaming devices because at present there is no one size fits all. I own the older Roku XD for Amazon Prime and Netflix...and the WD TV Live streamer for VUDU and Netflix (DD+). In your case I would get the Google TV (Logitech Revue) for the browser and a Roku for Amazon. If you are going to hard-wire to the router you will probably need a ethernet switch for both devices...if you are going wireless the switch isn't needed.

EDIT: I see that Amazon Prime Instant Video has the Logitech Revue listed as a compatible device.
Jacksmyname's Avatar Jacksmyname
08:54 AM Liked: 10
post #6 of 6
03-26-2012 | Posts: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Many people get multiple streaming devices because at present there is no one size fits all. I own the older Roku XD for Amazon Prime and Netflix...and the WD TV Live streamer for VUDU and Netflix (DD+). In your case I would get the Google TV (Logitech Revue) for the browser and a Roku for Amazon. If you are going to hard-wire to the router you will probably need a ethernet switch for both devices...if you are going wireless the switch isn't needed.

EDIT: I see that Amazon Prime Instant Video has the Logitech Revue listed as a compatible device.

I use the Revue with Amazon Prime; works fine.
Internet browsing was a must for us, that's why I bought the Revue. I really like the keyboard.
The problem now with the Revue is that it's been discontinued, and hard to find a new one.
Last I saw was refurbed on Tiger Direct.
Too bad, as it's a pretty cool device.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Subscribe to this Thread