Anyone know the model numbers for the ATT Uverse boxes? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-28-2012, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I"m getting Uverse hooked up tomorrow and I'd like to be able to go ahead and program my remote control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I have a pretty recent Uverse install, and my box is a Cisco ISB7500.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

And in case you didn't know, you can get on the network from the Ethernet port in the back of the STB. They won't tell you that, but you can. I'm able to use that HPNA network to stream Blu Ray rips from my UNRAID NFS server.
post #4 of 17 Old 03-29-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post

And in case you didn't know, you can get on the network from the Ethernet port in the back of the STB. They won't tell you that, but you can. I'm able to use that HPNA network to stream Blu Ray rips from my UNRAID NFS server.

I didn't get internet from Uverse. I kept my Comcast internet instead.

Is this still possible and what exactly is the STB?
post #5 of 17 Old 03-29-2012, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have a pretty recent Uverse install, and my box is a Cisco ISB7500.

Which is newer or better? Any difference between the two?
post #6 of 17 Old 03-29-2012, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The 7500 is the newer one in those markets that use the Cisco boxes. They are using wireless on the non-dvr boxes now in certain situations. The 7500 is a 500gb hard drive box.

Some of the markets are using Motorola boxes.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-29-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I had U-Verse for 2 days. On the third day, I had comcast re-installed. U-Verse messed up my wiring, and damage two lines of Cat5e cables, and one of them lead to the master bedroom, which was a PIA to run.

Never again! I'm going to cancel my cell phone with ATT in October as well.

I don't even want to comment about ATT's customer server or their tech support.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #8 of 17 Old 03-29-2012, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Well, everyone has bad experiences. I've had Uvese twice now, going to Comcast for about 7 months in between. I much prefer the overall Uverse experience. The guide alone is so much better it isn't funny.

But anyhow, the STB is the "set top box" for your tv. And no, if you stuck with Comcast internet, you can't use that Ethernet port in the back of the box. Why did you stick with Comcast for the internet?
post #9 of 17 Old 03-29-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, everyone has bad experiences. I've had Uvese twice now, going to Comcast for about 7 months in between. I much prefer the overall Uverse experience. The guide alone is so much better it isn't funny.

But anyhow, the STB is the "set top box" for your tv. And no, if you stuck with Comcast internet, you can't use that Ethernet port in the back of the box. Why did you stick with Comcast for the internet?

Comcast is way faster than U-Verse fiber optic. I was supposed to get TV (U200) and 18 mbps for internet.

45 min after the installation was done, nothing worked. Tech came back the same day. Fixed it. I had to go to work, and 4 hours later my wife called me saying the internet / TV doesn't work again.

Tech support came over, and fixed it again....this time he said, "IT WON'T GO DOWN AGAIN." It worked for about 10 hours or so. The internet was very slow, and I was missing a lot of channels. I called ATT, and I was told the agent I talked to made an error, and I was supposed to get U-Familly (basic cable), and 12 mbps, but I had to pay for 18 mbps in order for me to get the 12 mbps lol.

I conducted a speed test, and i was hitting 5.8 mbps all the time. With Comcast I am always hitting 25 to 30 mbps. Granted I pay $60.00 for internet alone, but it is worth it.

The best part is that the ATT main switch box is half a block from my house, and I was able to hit 10 mbps at all.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #10 of 17 Old 03-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Comcast is way faster than U-Verse fiber optic. I was supposed to get TV (U200) and 18 mbps for internet.

45 min after the installation was done, nothing worked. Tech came back the same day. Fixed it. I had to go to work, and 4 hours later my wife called me saying the internet / TV doesn't work again.

Tech support came over, and fixed it again....this time he said, "IT WON'T GO DOWN AGAIN." It worked for about 10 hours or so. The internet was very slow, and I was missing a lot of channels. I called ATT, and I was told the agent I talked to made an error, and I was supposed to get U-Familly (basic cable), and 12 mbps, but I had to pay for 18 mbps in order for me to get the 12 mbps lol.

I conducted a speed test, and i was hitting 5.8 mbps all the time. With Comcast I am always hitting 25 to 30 mbps. Granted I pay $60.00 for internet alone, but it is worth it.

The best part is that the ATT main switch box is half a block from my house, and I was able to hit 10 mbps at all.

Yep, everyone has bad experiences. Probably got a bad tech that didn't know how to wire your home, and it also depends on your existing wiring. Me? I pay $115 a month for U300 with HBO added on and 18MBps internet. My actual speeds are 16-17 MBPs, and I don't have any issues. I also like that it gives me excellent HPNA networking everywhere I need it, and I like to be able to record more than 2 shows at a time. (The real kicker in this area about Comcast is not only can you only record 2, you have to WATCH one of those two.)

But hey, I'm just saying it works for a lot of people. The same thing with Comcast. It works for a lot of people, but a lot of people have had bad experiences and hate it too.
post #11 of 17 Old 03-29-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, everyone has bad experiences. Probably got a bad tech that didn't know how to wire your home, and it also depends on your existing wiring. Me? I pay $115 a month for U300 with HBO added on and 18MBps internet. My actual speeds are 16-17 MBPs, and I don't have any issues. I also like that it gives me excellent HPNA networking everywhere I need it, and I like to be able to record more than 2 shows at a time. (The real kicker in this area about Comcast is not only can you only record 2, you have to WATCH one of those two.)

But hey, I'm just saying it works for a lot of people. The same thing with Comcast. It works for a lot of people, but a lot of people have had bad experiences and hate it too.

I don't need the ATT RG box, and I don't need the Comcast TV Boxes either. I was going to buy a SiliconDust HDHomerun tuner, which can record and send signal to 6 different location with one box via ethernet.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #12 of 17 Old 03-29-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I agree that the Uverse guide alone was/is one of the biggest complaints for me.

I chose to stick with Comcast's internet because it is reliably & faster than when I had Uverse internet before, so I just kept the best of both worlds this time. I do get faster download speeds with Comcast even though I don't really download that much.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-29-2012, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

The 7500 is the newer one in those markets that use the Cisco boxes. They are using wireless on the non-dvr boxes now in certain situations. The 7500 is a 500gb hard drive box.

Some of the markets are using Motorola boxes.

Oh, I'd like to get the newer Cisco 7500 box...wonder how I can request those boxes?
post #14 of 17 Old 03-29-2012, 01:14 PM

You can let the tech know when they come to do the initial, and they can order for you, or hope for the best that they may have one on the truck.

I only got one, due to my other died, that was a 250gig. We may at any time have only 10 programs recorded, so we only maybe use 20-30 percent of space.

As for the one that stated you can only watch one while recording with comcast, that is true on their dvr's, but you can also have as many dvrs you want. Another is that their multi-room, you have to set the recordings on the dvr, and can not rewind on the slaves, like att.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You can let the tech know when they come to do the initial, and they can order for you, oor hope for the best that they may have one on the truck.

I only got one, due to my other died, that was a 250gig. We may at any tiime have only 10 programs recorded, so we only maybe use 20-30 percent of space.

As for the one that stated you can only watch one while recording with comcast, that is true on their dvr's, but you can also have as many dvrs you want. Another is that their multi-room, you have to set the recordings on the dvr, and can not rewind on the slaves, like att.

Yeah, but at least for me each additional DVR was 17 bucks a month. Ouch.

I'm very happy with the space on my ISB7500. I've never gone above 60% and I record a LOT of stuff. I talked to the tech when they installed mine, and he says it varies which boxes they have that day for installs.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-29-2012, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

You can let the tech know when they come to do the initial, and they can order for you, oor hope for the best that they may have one on the truck.

I only got one, due to my other died, that was a 250gig. We may at any tiime have only 10 programs recorded, so we only maybe use 20-30 percent of space.

Yeah, I just had the Comcast AnyRoom DVR connected and immediately got it disconnected. It was horribly implemented as you could not control or do anything on the non-dvr terminal. You could schedule a recording, you couldn't delete a recording, you couldn't pause live tv, basically you couldn't do anything .
post #17 of 17 Old 03-29-2012, 04:14 PM

Oh, Todd, but they claim that it is better than Dish's, UVerse, Fios, and Direct. Comcast's bad billing practices, and too many promises with very little to show is why I switched. I love UVerse, because I am a technology nerd, and does not matter if the stream is 6.5 to 7 meg. I have had very little in the way of problems, and when I did have problems with the first dvr, it got resolved and had the new one on my doorstep in two days.

I have mine hooked up through cat-5e, and use the Netgear GS-108 for my one desktop, the xbox-360 that my son has, and our BD. We only have two set tops, and the one only one dvr you are allowed with ATT. Every now and then, I have to remind my wife to bump recordings of programs that are playing later at night, due to she tends to want to watch something, I want to also, and my son is watching something, we then have only the one stream avail, unless you have two tv sets watching the same channel, which at that it only counts as one stream.

When you get UVerse, also download the Uverse Realtime program at http://www.uvrealtime.com. It allows you to watch usage but also gives you a easier way of looking at stat's.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page