Another Thread Request Advise on Ripping BD & DVD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-02-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm about to make a foray into the world of DVD & BD disc ripping and playback/streaming. I need some help/advice on selecting the correct process and formats. My set-up is as follows:
Main Home Theater Room:
  • HTPC: an HP microserver N40L (not the fastest processor in the world) with 4gb Ram. It's running Windows 7 Home Premium from an SSD. It currently has 1 x 3TB HDD but I'm planning to add 3 more 3TB HDD's when the price is right. Video on the HTPC is handled by an AMD HD6450 card with 1gb. My media software is Windows Media Center. The HTPC is connected via HDMI to
  • Receiver: Marantz SR7005 which is connected via HDMI to
  • Projector

Second ("Great") Room
  • XBOX 360: Acting as an extender to the HTPC. It is connected via HDMI to
  • Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-31 which is connected via HDMI to
  • TV: Panny 60" ST30
Currently I record and play back HDTV via Windows Media Center using a Ceton InfiniTV 4 USB attached to the HTPC.

I would like to rip my DVD and BluRay Disc collection to the HTPC and be able to play back the movies in the main home theater and also be able to access (stream) them to the XBOX.

Here are my "requirements" and priorities.
Requirements:
  • Playback through Windows Media Center. I like the interface and (more importantly) so does the wife.
  • Menu support
  • English subtitles
Priorities:
  1. Quality of playback: I'd like the best possible video and audio quality for each room even if that means I have different files for the Main HT room and the Great room. (I understand I will not be able to stream the same quality to the XBOX that I can play directly on the HTPC). Quality is the most important factor by far.
  2. Simplicity of process: I don't mind developing a process that takes some time to learn. However, a faster, simpler process is better for me.
  3. Storage size: This is a distant third in terms of importance. Notwithstanding the recent spike in HDD prices, storage is cheap. My HTPC will have 12 TB (at least 9 of which I can dedicate to movies). I can increase this easily enough. Thus, while I would like to strip unneeded things from the file (e.g. coming attractions, "extras" and secondary languages) I do not care about compression and to the extent it conflicts with quality, I don't want it.

I've read through many of the threads on BD and DVD ripping and think I have a good idea of what I'd like to accomplish, but I'm not at all sure the best way to get there. ISOs for the HTPC and something else for the XBOX? I don't mind investing in commercial software if that helps with the priorities. So, if you've got thoughts on the best way to approach this please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-03-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulP View Post

I'm about to make a foray into the world of DVD & BD disc ripping and playback/streaming. I need some help/advice on selecting the correct process and formats. My set-up is as follows:
Main Home Theater Room:
  • HTPC: an HP microserver N40L (not the fastest processor in the world) with 4gb Ram. It's running Windows 7 Home Premium from an SSD. It currently has 1 x 3TB HDD but I'm planning to add 3 more 3TB HDD's when the price is right. Video on the HTPC is handled by an AMD HD6450 card with 1gb. My media software is Windows Media Center. The HTPC is connected via HDMI to
  • Receiver: Marantz SR7005 which is connected via HDMI to
  • Projector

Second ("Great") Room
  • XBOX 360: Acting as an extender to the HTPC. It is connected via HDMI to
  • Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-31 which is connected via HDMI to
  • TV: Panny 60" ST30
Currently I record and play back HDTV via Windows Media Center using a Ceton InfiniTV 4 USB attached to the HTPC.

I would like to rip my DVD and BluRay Disc collection to the HTPC and be able to play back the movies in the main home theater and also be able to access (stream) them to the XBOX.

Here are my "requirements" and priorities.
Requirements:
  • Playback through Windows Media Center. I like the interface and (more importantly) so does the wife.
  • Menu support
  • English subtitles
Priorities:
  1. Quality of playback: I'd like the best possible video and audio quality for each room even if that means I have different files for the Main HT room and the Great room. (I understand I will not be able to stream the same quality to the XBOX that I can play directly on the HTPC). Quality is the most important factor by far.
  2. Simplicity of process: I don't mind developing a process that takes some time to learn. However, a faster, simpler process is better for me.
  3. Storage size: This is a distant third in terms of importance. Notwithstanding the recent spike in HDD prices, storage is cheap. My HTPC will have 12 TB (at least 9 of which I can dedicate to movies). I can increase this easily enough. Thus, while I would like to strip unneeded things from the file (e.g. coming attractions, "extras" and secondary languages) I do not care about compression and to the extent it conflicts with quality, I don't want it.

I've read through many of the threads on BD and DVD ripping and think I have a good idea of what I'd like to accomplish, but I'm not at all sure the best way to get there. ISOs for the HTPC and something else for the XBOX? I don't mind investing in commercial software if that helps with the priorities. So, if you've got thoughts on the best way to approach this please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help.

What you want to do is not possible. from what I understand the Xbox360 doesn't stream DVD's with menus despite of what addons are used (MYMovies, Media Browser, etc).

if you really need menus then you are going to end up ripping two copies one for the PC and one for the 360.

Here's an article on creating a single mpeg file from the DVD for the 360.

good luck....

you might get more responses in the HTPC forum instead of the media streamer forum but I dont think the answer is going to change.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-03-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I used to stream movies to my xbox, but only DVD ripped with Handbrake in M4V /MP4 formats. That's the only format I found to play without any issues. It will not play MKV or M2TS. You will have to re-encode it, which will degrade video and sound quality.

So, you will need 2 HTPC to accomplish what you want. Or create a media server, and buy two media players that support jukeboxes.

Or you can try transcode on the fly to play the movies on xbox. Such as PS3 Media Server, TVersity, Mezzmo, Plex (I'm not sure if xbox supporst plex) etc. Again this will degrade video and sound quality.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #4 of 7 Old 04-03-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I've been reading some threads suggesting that sometimes you can stream MKV's to the XBOX. However, what I've read isn't particularly consistent.

If I decide to go ahead and have 2 files -- one optimized for playback on the HTPC and the other optimized for streaming playback on the XBOX -- will I have any problems? In other words, I can imagine ripping my BD's and DVD's to MKV (optimized for the HTPC) and then converting the MKV's to WMV HD (for the XBOX) and having both files on the HTPC (which, again, will have 3 x 3TB HDDs dedicated to movies). I would like to use the Media Browser plugin. Provided I can access both versions, I should be fine. I play the MKV when using the HTPC and use the WMV when accessing through the XBOX. Will that work?
post #5 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
As I read what you want to do, I'm reminded of a cheerful Scotsman, as he hands a few nuts and bolts to his Captain, saying, "the more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain". I think you are creating a very real headache for yourself, not to mention a lot of wasted drive space on double the number of movie files required - if I were you, I'd consider the options GusGus has recommended above.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Media Browser streams MKVs fine to the 360. I'm pretty sure I did it. The transcodes using software like Plex, etc. work well IMO and the quality is really good.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-05-2012, 03:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Media Center doesn't even support mkv files natively you have to patch in support and it's buggy at best.

The best thing you could do is encode everything into a H.264/MP4 video with AAC-LC (stereo) audio track, that will makes all your movies compatible with Windows media center 7, the Xbox media center extender and the Xbox 360 dashboard player.

Lastly win media center is on it's last legs basing any sort of system on it doesn't bode well for the long term. It's looking like media center is going to be relegated back to a unique version of Windows 8 only and probably wont survive past Windows 8.

Use Plex media center instead on the PC you wont have to convert with native playback support and if you use Plex media server software too which now has UPnP/DLNA support you can at least stream to the Xbox dashboard as it will transcode the video in real time.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page