Looking for best solution to stream music, (itunes) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-07-2012, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sammy LCD, (a few years old, not networkable), that I would like to be able to listen to music, (specifically, internet songs from itunes), from a networked PC. Is a Boxee Box a good solution? Any other products that I should consider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-07-2012, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Since you're using iTunes, why not an AppleTV?
post #3 of 8 Old 04-08-2012, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

If you're happy w/ the iTunes ecosystem and music is really all you want to stream, I would recommend the Apple TV, too.

My Specs:

Sony KDF55WF655 HDTV | Pioneer VSX1015TX Receiver | JBL SCS180SC 6.1 Surround Speakers | DirecTV HR20 | HTPC | PlayStation3
post #4 of 8 Old 04-08-2012, 11:24 AM

It always depends on your budget. If you want something even more robust check out the Autonomic MMS units. I picked up the mms-2 and love its functionality, iTunes integration etc. Well supported and does everything well.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-08-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

I would be able to stream "Internet Songs" from my itunes via Apple TV? Would Boxee Box also do the same? There are some music streaming websites that I have loaded in itunes that I would love to be able to access through my tv and HT System.

post #6 of 8 Old 04-09-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdam1001 View Post

I would be able to stream "Internet Songs" from my itunes via Apple TV? Would Boxee Box also do the same? There are some music streaming websites that I have loaded in itunes that I would love to be able to access through my tv and HT System.

You would be able to stream ALL of your iTunes content to the Apple TV, including movies, videos, and your stored digital photos. And if you have an iPhone, iTouch or iPad, you can stream content directly from these devices as well as use them as a complete Remote control with the Remote App. I currenty have 7 zones in my home, a mix of ATVs and Airport Expresses. If it's only music you're after the Airport express is the better option since it doesn't up sample redbook CD rips but rather keeps the, native at 16/44.1khz.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-09-2012, 06:38 PM

Any suggestions for equipment? I have about 350 CDs and want to preserve the audio quality but ditch the physical disks. I would like easy access to the stored music, perhaps through a touch screen. I would connect it to my home audio system as any other component, I presume.

If I got a media PC (maybe that is the only alternative...?) I worry that it would take too long to boot up or that I would need additional equipment or software to play music through my stereo. So I am looking for a single component answer. Any ideas?
post #8 of 8 Old 04-09-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchretien4 View Post

Any suggestions for equipment? I have about 350 CDs and want to preserve the audio quality but ditch the physical disks. I would like easy access to the stored music, perhaps through a touch screen. I would connect it to my home audio system as any other component, I presume.

If I got a media PC (maybe that is the only alternative...?) I worry that it would take too long to boot up or that I would need additional equipment or software to play music through my stereo. So I am looking for a single component answer. Any ideas?

I run a dedicated windows machine that's always on. Set the BIOS to wake on LAN and that's it. It also supplies video so I used and i3 processor of the 35w variety for low power consumption and heat. iPad,iPhone, iTouch all are touch screens and display all iTunes catalog details such as cover art, track list, track lengths and allows to sort/search by title, artist, genre, rating, etc. One very simple, but very functional application.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page