Help needed - I'm so confused - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-10-2012, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to figure out exactly what will work for me but is so overwhelm and confused - looked at popcorn, dune, and WD streamer and not sure if I'm going down the right path.

Here is the set-up - I have over 300 of my movies on a hard drive and is running ATVII but find it too restrictive. I'm looking for a way to have all the movie including now blu rays on a player in the main HT room and the option to stream to a second room from the same hard drive. A nice GUI would be awesome.

I'm running mac for everything and unfortunately is not that verse in networking or NAS set up.

Thanks for all the inputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-10-2012, 02:44 PM

I'm setting up a similar situation for a client. He's got everything in Apple and wants to stream blurays from NAS. He has an AppleTV at the MasterBed TV and the FamilyRoom TV. He has an iMac in the study. We've turned on Home Sharing so the AppleTV devices can share off the iMac over the LAN. We're purchasing a Promise Pegasus 12TB NAS (see online Apple store) which will connect to iMac via Thunderbolt cable to enable him to rip his movies to the NAs drive. Client will add that drive to his iTunes Library, which will then be shared to AppleTV via Home Share. Easy peasy and he has tons of room for 300+ movies and other media.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-10-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Will ATV be able to read the bluray files (i.e what format) or did you have to convert everything into something that iTunes can recognize.

Also, ATV output is only 720p right? This is unless you have the new one.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-10-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 59
You are on the right track looking at dune, pch and wdtv all of them will do what you want it comes down to bells and whistles next. Pch has a built in UI interface with covers and things, People either love it or hate, And there is also pc ran jukeboxes like yamj for the pch, Dune has no internal jukebox but a couple of external options, And for wdtv last i remember it supported thumbgen and that was it for UI.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-10-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There's two schools of thought...the multi format crowd that likes to quick rip, store and playback everything, and the crowd that rips and converts all of their media to one video and one audio format. I'm of the latter, using iTune MP4 with carefully catalogued and encoded movies that work best on my displays. While encoding and tagging might seem like a lot of work, in the end I found it to be well worth the effort. It offers me the luxury of a very simple and stable playback system with ATVs and Airports with unrivaled control using iDevices. And now with 1080p on the ATV3, I find little reason to look towards the boutique players with buggy firmware and quirky, complicated GUIs. Some of course will hold fast to their mega format devices, but I predict the ATV3 will quickly engulf the market share as the Apple AirPlay and Homeshare system offers a combination that others simply can't.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page