Roku is the best for internet streaming only... right? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-10-2012, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have spent some time looking streaming only devices, and have questions. I have a couple of HTPC and a WHS so I that covered with ripped movies, music, etc.... works great.

I would like to add an internet streaming only devices as a replacement to cable tv. I am hoping to get cable news, sports, and replace some cable channels. I have not closely looked at hulu + but I have a feeling that it will be something I subscribe to.

Am I correct in assuming Roku is the best solution for me? I have read about some private channels, but they seem dubious in nature. Justin.tv being one of them.

I guess I am a cable cutter - any advice?

tia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-10-2012, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I've had four Roku units for a little over two years and I think they are great little units. Check this link for listings of almost all the channels, both public, private and in the roku store, and if you do bit of research you can probably find out more info. I've never had a problem with them, three are wired and one is wireless.
http://streamfree.tv/apps/

post #3 of 13 Old 04-11-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Roku is a good option. I have two (of the older ones) myself.

Just be aware that only the most expensive one has an ethernet port for wired internet connections.

There was a new player that was just announced the other day. No idea about it beyond the link I read below, but it does have a wired network connection and a low pricepoint ($48 online.)

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/10/d...-media-player/

-Suntan
post #4 of 13 Old 04-11-2012, 10:24 AM

Liked: 14
Plex is also compatible with Roku
post #5 of 13 Old 04-11-2012, 10:43 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Roku is a good option. I have two (of the older ones) myself.

Just be aware that only the most expensive one has an ethernet port for wired internet connections.

There was a new player that was just announced the other day. No idea about it beyond the link I read below, but it does have a wired network connection and a low pricepoint ($48 online.)

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/10/d...-media-player/

-Suntan

Picked one up at Walmart yesterday, returned it today - I misunderstood a review about the MovieNite - I thought it would stream local content - but of course it does not!

It does just what it's advertized to do and setting it up is quite simple and fast - although for using only 1A of power, the top of the case felt pretty warm (but not hot)

But IMO, purchase a Roku - it offers waaay more content/channels
post #6 of 13 Old 04-11-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

I've had four Roku units for a little over two years and I think they are great little units. Check this link for listings of almost all the channels, both public, private and in the roku store, and if you do bit of research you can probably find out more info. I've never had a problem with them, three are wired and one is wireless.
http://streamfree.tv/apps/

http://www.almostaccurate.com/roku/

http://jeffthomann.wordpress.com/201...-podcast-urls/

http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
post #7 of 13 Old 04-11-2012, 10:57 AM

I've purchased four Roku 2's since the 1st of this year (3 XS's and an LT that came with a lifetime license for the PlayOn UPnP Server) - two of them were given to my daughter - and no problems with any of them

I've not tried the Plex channel, but I understand it works fine with the Roku - my Boxee Boxes serve me well for streaming a fairly large local media library
post #8 of 13 Old 04-11-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb4133 View Post

Plex is also compatible with Roku

Could you elaborate? I've seen a few snippets about plex here and there, but I've never really looked into it.

What does it do for/with a roku? Is it just another channel you add that gives you access to local content or something?

-Suntan
post #9 of 13 Old 04-11-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Could you elaborate? I've seen a few snippets about plex here and there, but I've never really looked into it.

What does it do for/with a roku? Is it just another channel you add that gives you access to local content or something?

-Suntan

It's a channel. You need to run the Plex Media Server software on a PC that hosts your media. The software will then stream all your content to your Roku. If the video is in a file/format that the Roku does not support, then the software will transcode the file into something the Roku understands. It's a completely brilliant piece of software, and I recommend you try it out for yourself. Transcoding is a very processor intensive tasks, though, so slower computers might struggle.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 04:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

It's a channel. You need to run the Plex Media Server software on a PC that hosts your media. The software will then stream all your content to your Roku. If the video is in a file/format that the Roku does not support, then the software will transcode the file into something the Roku understands. It's a completely brilliant piece of software, and I recommend you try it out for yourself. Transcoding is a very processor intensive tasks, though, so slower computers might struggle.

I thought it didn't work with ISOs? Most of my content is in ISO containers.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #11 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Eh. Doesn't sound that appealing if it is just another local content transcoder app setup. I have no need for that.

I guess I don't know what I was hoping it to be, but I have no need for accessing local content.

-Suntan
post #12 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I thought it didn't work with ISOs? Most of my content is in ISO containers.

That's true. It does not work with ISOs. I can definitely see the appeal of using ISOs, but once you convert everything to uncompressed mkv's, you can do so much more with your content. Plex lets you stream your content anywhere in the world, whether it be on your phone, laptop, Roku, or a number of other supported devices.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

That's true. It does not work with ISOs. I can definitely see the appeal of using ISOs, but once you convert everything to uncompressed mkv's, you can do so much more with your content. Plex lets you stream your content anywhere in the world, whether it be on your phone, laptop, Roku, or a number of other supported devices.

Plex on the Roku is really very nice ( Plex in general is great). But, it seems to have problems for now with SD content. That seems to be a Roku firmware issue but it's been happening for a couple of months. HD is fine though.

philip
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page