Need advice - Neatgear readyNas Ultra 6 or Synology 1511 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-16-2012, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to figure out whats best for me and I would really appreciate any feedback on either unit. Thanks!

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-16-2012, 03:38 PM

Synology has much better support, but why 1511 and not the newer 1512 ?
post #3 of 10 Old 04-19-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Either one really - the 1512+ would work as well...

Any more feedback on either?
post #4 of 10 Old 04-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Synology rocks. The features are very nice and the performance is awesome.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-21-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I tried a lower model synology 4xxj and returned it for the readynas ultra plus. The thing is built like a tank, had a more powerful CPU, and native squeezebox support. Maybe the 1512 is just as powerful as the 6 ultra plus, at the same price. Is it?
I did like the synology UI. Very nice.
I guess my point is to make sure there are not any additional features you want before the purchase. I wanted native squeezebox support (it was available for the synology at the time, but wasn't updated as frequently). Plus, the read speeds weren't as good as the ultra plus. Granted, that was the lower "j" series, but I will say that I love the ultra 4 plus an the performance is phenomenal. UI for the synology is certainly slicker, but I don't use the UI much (set it and forget it).
post #6 of 10 Old 04-22-2012, 10:28 AM

Liked: 11
I have been a long time owner of the ReadyNAS devices. While I agree in general that Netgear isn't the best company for support. However the ReadyNAS community has a long history of outstanding support with help from the oringinal Infrant jedi masters (Now Netgear employees). I have an old Infrant still running on one of the latest versions of firmware. I don't think many people get software upgrades more than 5 years after purchase.

I also own an NVX and it hasn't given me a second of down time except for one of the drives which was replaced under warranty.

Recommended

Alan
post #7 of 10 Old 04-22-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablevy View Post

I have been a long time owner of the ReadyNAS devices. While I agree in general that Netgear isn't the best company for support. However the ReadyNAS community has a long history of outstanding support with help from the oringinal Infrant jedi masters (Now Netgear employees). I have an old Infrant still running on one of the latest versions of firmware. I don't think many people get software upgrades more than 5 years after purchase.

I also own an NVX and it hasn't given me a second of down time except for one of the drives which was replaced under warranty.

Recommended

Alan

+1... I have 3 ReadyNAS devices, my original over 8 years old now. They are all still working and all still supported
post #8 of 10 Old 05-08-2012, 07:27 AM

I would recommend to go with QNAP. Better build quality, plenty applications, stable and running quietly. I owned many different NAS, and I had 4 different QNAP NAS including the fanless 1bay and also 4, 8 and 2bay one. Very stable and doing good job.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-08-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 181
I have been looking around myself for a while and decided on the ReadyNAS NV+ v2 (supports 3TB drives). From what I have read Synology has more apps (features) out of the box and the interface is very easy to use. I like the design of the ReadyNAS (not that it matters) and will only be using it for streaming HD content so I went with the new low-end NV+ v2 model. Amazon has a promotion that dropped it below $300 (combined with a 3TB drive for $144) so that didn't hurt.

Performance wise a lowly Netgear Stora and D-Link DNS-320 were more than powerful enough for what I need so I'm pretty sure the ReadyNAS will work nicely. I just want the capacity for more storage. I noticed on their beta forum they are adding features to the NV+ v2 (it's fairly new) so it should be supported for a quite a while... including support for various 4TB drives.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #10 of 10 Old 05-08-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Synology.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

Home Theater Set Up:

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page