little help ref. itunes music and flac? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-18-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have itunes in my computer(win7 64 bit) music is in either mp3 or aac i believe.After reading as much as i can i would like to know what i can do or need to stream in flac format(lamens term).How do i convert everything to flac if its possible.I recently got mezzmo(yesterday) still working on that.My reciever is a marantz sr8002. What i want to do in a nut shell is basically use flac for my music.Want to be able to stream to my reciever via ps3.Download cds to computer etc. etc.Hope im understood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Just so you know, iTunes doesn't support FLAC.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-18-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Do you mean you'll change all your songs to flac? Won't make a difference unless you meant for newer additions to your collection. Id recommend using alac

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #4 of 10 Old 04-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Rocky1,
If you already have music in the mp3 format, converting it into the FLAC format will not improve the sound. The important factor to remember is that the FLAC and Apple Lossless formats are lossless formats, they provide bit perfect copies of the original version. So if you start with a good original then when you convert it to FLAC or Apple Lossless you will receive a good copy. If you start with a bad original (mp3), then you will end up with a bad copy (since it is a bit perfect copy).

If you want to use iTunes, look at converting your music to the Apple Lossless format instead of FLAC. Since they are both lossless formats, they will both provide perfect copies. But you will be able to listen to the Apple Lossless music in iTunes. If you are concerned with the size of your music files and the Apple Lossless files are too large for you, then research the ALAC format.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-18-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks appreciate it. So u know i'm new at this computer stuff. But can i bypass itunes all together and load cd's from my collection to computer and stream via say mezzmo since i have that or even windows media center? to play via the ps3 or even the directv hd dvr(as it is i can use this with mezzmo).I'm assuming i would load the cd's into either mezzmo or WMC.Just trying get the best SQ. As of now i enjoy the hell out my dvda/sacd collection,but would like to use streaming capabilities as well with the redbook..
post #6 of 10 Old 04-19-2012, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

If bypassing iTunes, you'd need some other tool to rip your CDs to FLAC. I believe there is a program called Exact Audio Copy (EAC) that should allow you to rip perfect bit copies to FLAC.

In terms of streaming, as long as Mezzzmo can see the files you want to stream, you should be able to play your files on any UPnP and DLNA-enabled devices you have. With Mezzmo you should be able to stream all your music from your computer to your TV, home theater, games consoles and digital media players.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-19-2012, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks.I've heard of EAC here and also of dbpoweramp? Instead of ripping cds to flac into my computer harddrive(want to save space) can it be done into an external drive? and stream from there? using mezzmo to ps3.Using either EAC or dbpoweramp.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
External HDD needs to be connected to a PC shared with mezzmo.
Not sure if/how that works in mac world.
EAC makes copies to FLAC only if you install the flac support.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-19-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thats what i was referring to,connecting external drive to pc for use.so i dont have to use pc's harddrive.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post

Thats what i was referring to,connecting external drive to pc for use.so i dont have to use pc's harddrive.

That'll work. I couldn't remember the name of DBPoweramp, so I didn't mention it. It should definitely do what you want.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page