Stream Flac files to Yamaha AVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-23-2012, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
gce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok, here I go. I'm a total newbee at this so I'm hoping for detailed answers not just you need to get this or that. I would need to know how to configure all whatever I need step by step. I'm thinking others would benefit from this also.

I'm trying to stream Flac files to my Yamaha Aventage AVR. The AVR supports Flac files. The AVR manual says that I need some kind of server software for sharing Flac files via a DLNA/UPnP on my PC.

What I've done is download all kinds of media servers like J Rivers that are cool but I have no idea how to configure them for this and even if they are the right software. I downloaded a sample of Flac files from HDtracks.com. I had to get the codec so I could play them on my PC using WMP. All the media servers I tried play them because they all have the right codec in them. My AVR sees the Flac files through my network but won't play them.

I finally gave up and loaded the Flac files on a USB stick, stuck it in the front of my AVR and they played perfectly. So now that I've heard them I want to get this going the right way on a PC or some kind of storage devise so I can stream them to the AVR..

So what's the best way to go about this and how do I configure it???

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-23-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I had a very similar question a few weeks ago. I have a Denon 3808ci which can read FLAC files directly from a USB HDD. I used it for a few years, but my wife decided to try it and really hated the interface. It is slow and clunky, but I didn't really have an issue with it.

A few AVS members recommended the Netgear NeoTV 550. It reads directly from a HDD or from your network. I connect a HDD directly to it and don't bother with streaming from the network. So far, I really like it. It has a decent graphical display and allows you to see artwork tagged in the FLAC file. Best of all, it was under $100. It's now $85 on various sites. I would take a look at that if you are looking for a decent solution.

The only downside is that there is only one more scheduled update, so the device isn't going to do anything more than it currently does.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-23-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
gce

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for your reply tokerblue. I finally got it to work. I stumbled on "Asset UPnP. I downloaded it and it found all my music files including Flac files.

There is no configuring anything...I now just turn on the computer and AVR and stream/play anything audio from my PC! Plus it looks like its only like 30 bucks after the trial period.

Now that I know what I need I'm sure there's better or worse software out there. So it's all fun at this point. Can't believe how good a Flac file sounds as apposed to a mp3.
post #4 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Asset UPnP is a good solution, but not perfect. It only organizes and streams from within the Music folder in Documents & Settings, not from a NAS in the network or musicfolders somewhere else! Indeed it streams FLAC-files to a Yamaha AVR pefectly if you start them from your TV-screen. Not so direcly from the PC! Anyway, to get it working with FLAC-files, you have to store them in the Music folder in Documents & Settings. Still I did not find a better solution, probably because both my NAS and the Yamaha Player on the PC do not support FLAC by themselves.

post #5 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Wow, might as well add to this thread as it has come back from the dead!

You could try MinimServer as that is able to use files stored on network shared folders to build its music library. You can also install it on some makes of NAS and run it from one directly, so won't need to have the computer switched on. What's the make & model of your NAS?

For your Yamaha AVR to support streaming from an application controlling it from the computer (and any other device, such as a tablet, phone, pad, etc) it needs to support UPnP/DLNA rendering, by using a third party UPnP/DLNA controller application which uses the AVR in a slave type mode, also known as file 'push to' or 'play to'. This is not the same as using the AVR's remote control & tv display, in which it is in a master type mode, ie, the media files are 'pulled' to the AVR for playback by the AVR itself. Note a UPnP/DLNA controller is not the same as a UPnP/DLNA server, though they are commonly bundled together especically when available as applications on a computer, such as JRiver MC, Foobar2000 + foo_UPnP plugin, even Windows Media Player. Asset UPnP & MinimServer are pure UPnP/DLNA media servers and don't come with a UPnP/DLNA controller.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jome123 View Post

Asset UPnP is a good solution, but not perfect. It only organizes and streams from within the Music folder in Documents & Settings, not from a NAS in the network or musicfolders somewhere else!

Not true. From your Start menu, select All Programs, Asset UPnP, Asset UPnP Configuration. Form the window that opens, press the Edit button. In the Advanced Settings dialog you will see the Audio Library area where you can add, change, or delete locations to search for music. You can set it up to your hearts desire (and tweak many other settings on the same page).

Mike
post #7 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 08:04 AM

It seems this solves my problem, I'll try with Asset Upnp firstly and see how it goes.

Another question, Do I have to use Ethernet cable to connect my AVR to the network, or is there any wireless/wifi that I can use to connect my AVR to the network?
I guess this will depend on the specific AVR that I'm using, right?
post #8 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
If your AVR doesn't have a built in wireless adapter, you could always get an external one and plug that into your AVR's ethernet port. Assumes your network has WIFI in the first place, though! An alternative would be to use a pair of powerline homeplug network adapters, which use your home's electrical power circuit to carry the ethernet connection for the adapters.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-03-2013, 01:11 AM

True! So now Asset UPnP finds my musicfiles on the NAS perfectly and streams them well to my Yamaha AVR. Your very good and readable comment should definetily be added to to the instructionfile of the program!

Still problems remain: Now all the files are doubled because Asses finds them both on the NAS and the PC. And I do not like the way Asset organizes the library, though this is done quite ingeniously.

But a catalogue should be organized in layers: filetypes first, genres second, artists third and albums fourth. If the databaseprogrammer would run a musicstore he or she would have known!

post #10 of 12 Old 12-03-2013, 08:59 AM

Thanks Cebolla!

MinimServer will not do for my Iomega NAS it seems, but Asset is more advanced and very appropriate. I added a 'Folder&Filename Browsing' container and did organize my Music folder on my NAS in folders and subfolders, beginning with a folder for MP3 and one for FLAC and then for both folders subfolders for Genres and then for Artists/Albums. Now it works wonderful after deleting the container for 'Dynamic Browsings' which slowed down the proces of indexing considerably. 

post #11 of 12 Old 12-04-2013, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Asset allows you to define exactly how the music should be shown. Go to the Advanced Settings page again. Look at the Browse tree. That shows how things will appear, and you can change it to meet your whims. After all, your preferences are exactly that: your preferences. I personally find sorting music by Genre to be really weird (but that's just my preference).

Mike
post #12 of 12 Old 12-16-2013, 05:02 AM

Your comments are very welcome. Since I deal with a pretty large amount of MP3 and Flac files of every kind of music of all ages from all over the world, which I want to be able to stream from my NAS by means of several computers (one being an Apple), I need to start with sorting in genres. But the original tagging quite often will not do or is even absurd. And there are way to many categories and still many files are tagged as 'Unknown genre'. E.g: Mulatu Astatke, jazzicon, born in Etheiopia and  living in the USA, is tagged as 'Etheiopia' though he makes plain 'Jazz'. Minyeshu Kifle Tedla, also born in Etheiopia but living in Holland, is also tagged as 'Etheiopia'.  She used to bring Etheiopian world-music, also an inspiration for Astatke, to a western audience. But lately she changes to 'Fusion', still singing in her native tongue. I need to be able to correct the tags. But from the very beginning I put the files in the folders for the specific genres according I determined. Using the 'folders&filename browsing' is then a perfect solution! By the way, of course I also use the 'advanced search' container in Asset.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Netgear Ntv550 , Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page