Controlling Your Music From Outside - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-24-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey folks,

I've got an Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver. I have outdoor speakers on my deck connected to it through Zone 2. I also have an HTPC connected to it currently running Windows 8 (Consumer Preview).

My vision is that I'm outside with my Android tablet. On my tablet I browse my music located on my htpc, select a song and it starts playing through my deck speakers. I'd also prefer to be able to play and control my Sirius Internet Streaming account, and Pandora and Spotify. Don't want to use Apple Airplay though.

One idea that I have is to run XBMC 11 on my htpc and then run XBMC Remote on my Android tablet. That will probably do the trick, however I don't think I'd be able to use my Sirius or Pandora or Spotify with that method, correct?

What other ideas do you got? Any hardware streamers out there that have a really good Android app to control it? Or maybe is there a way to stream from Android to my htpc? If the music had to live on my tablet instead of my htpc, that would be fine.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullqwerty View Post

Hey folks,

I've got an Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver. I have outdoor speakers on my deck connected to it through Zone 2. I also have an HTPC connected to it currently running Windows 8 (Consumer Preview).

My vision is that I'm outside with my Android tablet. On my tablet I browse my music located on my htpc, select a song and it starts playing through my deck speakers. I'd also prefer to be able to play and control my Sirius Internet Streaming account, and Pandora and Spotify. Don't want to use Apple Airplay though.

One idea that I have is to run XBMC 11 on my htpc and then run XBMC Remote on my Android tablet. That will probably do the trick, however I don't think I'd be able to use my Sirius or Pandora or Spotify with that method, correct?

What other ideas do you got? Any hardware streamers out there that have a really good Android app to control it? Or maybe is there a way to stream from Android to my htpc? If the music had to live on my tablet instead of my htpc, that would be fine.

Thanks!

you can run windows terminal services to remote control anything on your pc if you are using windows as your htpc operating system.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Squeezebox or Sonos
Old 04-24-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

you can run windows terminal services to remote control anything on your pc if you are using windows as your htpc operating system.

I'm trying to make it wife-friendly. If it were me, I'd do exactly that. Thanks though.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 View Post

Squeezebox or Sonos

Sonos is out just cause of price. Squeezebox is a consideration though. Pricey too, but if it's my only option...

One idea that I'm thinking of testing though is putting a USB Bluetooth adapter onto my htpc and then just stream all sound from my tablet to my htpc. Just like you might do in your car. That in theory works great. In practice, I'm not sure. It would have to be Class 1 bluetooth because of distance and walls. Anyone have experience with that?
Old 04-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Why not use the various remote control apps? I've been testing out eMote for Android which controls music on WMC. It's got a great interface and works really well.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:20 PM

Liked: 32
You can also control your PC with Teamviewer on the PC & the Android APP from anywhere.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Why not use the various remote control apps? I've been testing out eMote for Android which controls music on WMC. It's got a great interface and works really well.

Just cause then I don't think I can control Pandora or Sirius or Spotify. If I could, then eMote or the XBMC remote app would work well.

Seems like I need to use either bluetooth audio streaming from the tablet (which I'm not sure will work cause of the distance) or I might have to go with the Logitech Squeezebox (which stinks just cause of the price).
Old 04-25-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

You can also control your PC with Teamviewer on the PC & the Android APP from anywhere.

Yeah, that's kind of like what mlknez said. But as I said to him, I gotta make it wife-friendly, and I'm not sure that'll cover it. But I'll download it and give it a shot before purchasing anything. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Have you thought about the following -
On that PC run Logitech Meida Server and squeezeplay.
Then on your android tablet run Logitech Squeezebox Controller. This will give you access to all your music, Pandora and Spotify. Though with Pandora to work you need to have a Paid account or a physical device like the Squeezebox. I upgraded to a paid account so that it works on my HTPC. I don't have a spotify account so not sure if that works but it is available.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
Old 04-25-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Why not use AirPlay? I have a Klipsch G-17 which can be used portable or mounted. It's Wi-Fi and it works in every room and out on patio. I will be getting another one once 4 season porch is finished and then wall mount. It works, ez setup, sounds excellent and everyone can use it. There are less expensive AirPlay speakers though. If you look/check around you can find the Klipsch G-17 for around 350.00

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-25-2012, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just cause then I don't think I can control Pandora or Sirius or Spotify. If I could, then eMote or the XBMC remote app would work well.

Seems like I need to use either bluetooth audio streaming from the tablet (which I'm not sure will work cause of the distance) or I might have to go with the Logitech Squeezebox (which stinks just cause of the price).

Oh right, I forgot about that. Refurbished Squeezebox Radios used to go for ~$80, but I haven't seen them at that price in a while. Any squeezebox will do because they all have audio outputs.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:05 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:

Yeah, that's kind of like what mlknez said. But as I said to him, I gotta make it wife-friendly, and I'm not sure that'll cover it. But I'll download it and give it a shot before purchasing anything. Thanks.

Teamviewer you do not have to pay for. It is a great remote desktop app.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

Have you thought about the following -
On that PC run Logitech Meida Server and squeezeplay.
Then on your android tablet run Logitech Squeezebox Controller. This will give you access to all your music, Pandora and Spotify. Though with Pandora to work you need to have a Paid account or a physical device like the Squeezebox. I upgraded to a paid account so that it works on my HTPC. I don't have a spotify account so not sure if that works but it is available.

Oh no way! I didn't think that was possible. So, from what you're describing, it basically sounds like I'm setting up a SqueezeBox system, but without having to own a squeezebox, correct? Basically, my squeezebox device is my htpc, and then I'm just using the normal Android SqueezeBox controller app, right? If so, that's perfect!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh no way! I didn't think that was possible. So, from what you're describing, it basically sounds like I'm setting up a SqueezeBox system, but without having to own a squeezebox, correct? Basically, my squeezebox device is my htpc, and then I'm just using the normal Android SqueezeBox controller app, right? If so, that's perfect!

Yes that is correct - not sure if spotify works like Pandora though as you need a paid Pandora account for it to work.

Sony 55EX500 Settings
Old 04-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

You need to be a Spotify premium member last I checked. Also the official plugin won't work since it checks for official Logitech hardware, you have to use the third party one.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You need to be a Spotify premium member last I checked. Also the official plugin won't work since it checks for official Logitech hardware, you have to use the third party one.

Good info to know - thanks.

Sony 55EX500 Settings
Old 04-25-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

That's great though! Perfect. A real Squeezebox requires a spotify membership too, so that's fine. I'm more concerned with Pandora and Sirius anyway (and I have accounts for both of those).

Awesome...Thanks a lot! Gonna do a test install tonight and try it out!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Just tried it out. Works perfect! Everything I hoped for. Solved all my problems. Thanks a lot!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just tried it out. Works perfect! Everything I hoped for. Solved all my problems. Thanks a lot!

Excellent! and enjoy.

Sony 55EX500 Settings