AVS Forum banner
18K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  gerall 
#1 ·
This post is to share some information and the solution to the problems I was having with MakeMKV and Blu-rays with LPCM audio. When remuxing Blu-rays containing LPCM audio with MakeMKV, I would not be able to playback the LPCM audio track using anything, including VLC on PC, Popcorn Hour c200, Boxee Box, etc. MakeMKV sets the Codec ID to "A_MS/ACM" which is a very uncommon codec. To solve this problem, open MKVmerge GUI, and go to File -> Header Editor. Then go to File -> Open and browse to your MKV. Scroll down to the audio track that contains the LPCM audio and change the Codec ID from "A_MS/ACM" to "A_PCM/INT/LIT". Then File -> Save. Your MKV will now contain an LPCM audio track that should be compatible with any software or hardware capable of playing MKV files... Hope this helps...

#5 ·
Lush78, You da man! Awesome resolved my issue on the Popbox V8!!! No one on the Popbox forum even replied that the Popbox was capable of passing PCM through, much less had a solution. I think I will reply to my own thread on the popbox forum with a link to here. Thanks much.

#9 ·
Just discovered this thread after researching an alternate way to deal with LPCM tracks for files that will later be played on my Popcorn Hours. I could never get it to work in native LPCM format so I had to use a tool that extracted the LPCM audio into independent WAV files, then reassemble them into a DTS-HD track using a DTS encoder. Very time consuming and annoying. So after reading this thread, I followed the steps with a BluRay w/ LPCM that I just converted to mkv. I opened the mkv in MKVMerge and the header was already correct (A_PCM/INT/LIT). Tried opening the file in VLC and it wasn't able to decode the audio. Tried it on both my Popcorn Hours (C200 and A200), same thing, no audio. Is this simply an unsupported codec on PCH machines? I couldn't find any definitive answer on the forums.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steagl3  /t/1407589/makemkv-and-lpcm-audio#post_23808312

Just discovered this thread after researching an alternate way to deal with LPCM tracks for files that will later be played on my Popcorn Hours. I could never get it to work in native LPCM format so I had to use a tool that extracted the LPCM audio into independent WAV files, then reassemble them into a DTS-HD track using a DTS encoder. Very time consuming and annoying. So after reading this thread, I followed the steps with a BluRay w/ LPCM that I just converted to mkv. I opened the mkv in MKVMerge and the header was already correct (A_PCM/INT/LIT). Tried opening the file in VLC and it wasn't able to decode the audio. Tried it on both my Popcorn Hours (C200 and A200), same thing, no audio. Is this simply an unsupported codec on PCH machines? I couldn't find any definitive answer on the forums.

Sorry for the late reply, but i use popcorn hour machines exclusively and this is how i solved that problem... Works on my c200, a400s, and soon my shipped a410...

#15 ·
Sorry, I have to dig up this thread.
I managed to edit the header like Lush78 described in the first post, which allowed SUbler to recognize the PCM stream,

At the Moment I'm transcoding my movie collection (DVDs & Blurays), for usage with my Apple TV 3 using Handbrake. While i've got no problems ripping and transcoding DVD's (if available ill save the DTS streams as well), I got Problems with some Blurays: There is no problem with the DTS HD streams but with PCM or DD True HD.
Im able to safe the movies 1:1 (with PCM or DD True HD) but Handbrake can't passthrough (at least I can't figure it out) this streams and always transcodes them to "normal" AC3 (with a bitrate about 320kbs).

I also tried Subler to get the PCM or TrueHD streams into my video file, but trying with PCM SUbler stops at about 99% and trying TrueHD - subtler don't even gives me the option to passtrough TrueHD.

Any hints anyone?

#19 ·
Thanks, great fix!

Lush78, thanks for this. In 5 minutes you just solved a 2+ year-old problem I'd had with my rips of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and Cars, among others. Easy fix and it works fine with playing back my mkv's on Windows Media Center when previously I'd get silence. Two more discs I can just archive!

#20 ·
Curious, why not just have MakeMKV convert the LPCM to FLAC? That's what I have been doing for quite some time and it has been a non-issue on nearly all of my devices.

#25 ·
This post is to share some information and the solution to the problems I was having with MakeMKV and Blu-rays with LPCM audio. When remuxing Blu-rays containing LPCM audio with MakeMKV, I would not be able to playback the LPCM audio track using anything, including VLC on PC, Popcorn Hour c200, Boxee Box, etc. MakeMKV sets the Codec ID to "A_MS/ACM" which is a very uncommon codec. To solve this problem, open MKVmerge GUI, and go to File -> Header Editor. Then go to File -> Open and browse to your MKV. Scroll down to the audio track that contains the LPCM audio and change the Codec ID from "A_MS/ACM" to "A_PCM/INT/LIT". Then File -> Save. Your MKV will now contain an LPCM audio track that should be compatible with any software or hardware capable of playing MKV files... Hope this helps...

#26 ·
i bought the MKVToolNix GUI v65.0.0 from microsoft for 7.99
Following your directions, I went into file, Header Editor,
then to file, open, and browsed to my makemkv movie file I made for Crimson Tide,
then went to the audio track 2 and down to the Codec ID.
The remove element box is greyed out, with the explanation above,
"This element is currently present in the file. It cannot be removed because it is a mandatory header field"
The original value: was the same as you mention, A_MS/ACM, and the current value the same A_MS/ACM in the box. I deleted that and entered the A_PCM/INT/LIT you mentioned and clicked the lower page box "Reset this value", and it changed it back to the A_MS/ACM value.
I converted over 150 of my old bluray movies to makemkv files, because my grandkids were destroying them with scratches. Almost all of the blurays made the audio track LPCM and play in my sony ubp-x800m2. The sony's specs show on LPCM as a supported codec, but do not show PCM as a supported codec.
So, a few of them made the audio track just plain PCM, and these few say the audio codec cannot be read, and just play the video mkv H265 file perfectly with no sound! The few titles are Crimson Tide, Pearl Harbor, Gone in 60 Seconds, National Treasure, Category 7 End of the World, out of the total of over 150 movies.
What can I do to save these movies?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.