SimpleTV - Possibly another device to replace cabel!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-29-2012, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Anyone have any more information about SimpleTV? You can preorder one for $149.99, and for $4.99 monthly fee will let you record shows, and stream them to 5 devices. I am wondering if it will stream to your mobile phone anywhere you are as long as you've got a good connection?

Also, will it be possible to use my unraid server to record and stream the media? I wasn't able to get this answers from their website, but I am interested.

The downside is that it will only work for 1 TV (i.e. single tuner device).

Here's the link to their website:

https://www.simple.tv/

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-29-2012, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

UPDATE: It does not support NAS / Server at the moment, but they are still working on it. They said, it will be a FW update.
The $4.99 fee for premium service applies to multiple boxes. So, if you've got 3 boxes, you will only need to pay $4.99 for premium server for all 3.

Note: I am still doing some research as to what format it supports. So, far I've found MP4.

Furthermore, they've mentioned they will support Roku and IPAD so far. However, if people go to their forum and a large amount of people start requesting a specific media player, they might work on it....I've requested Dune and AIOS .

Home Theater Set Up:

post #3 of 16 Old 04-29-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My reading of this device is that it is a Digital Video Recorder (DVR). It may be a very good one but it still requires a cable signal (and a cable box for all those "bundled" digital channels) to work. So it doesn't look like it will help you escape cable... Sorry. Perhaps I misunderstand how you are planning to use it...

mnilan
post #4 of 16 Old 04-29-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You can use it with an antenna to be able to record local channels and then be able to stream them, but I think HDHomerun might be better.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #5 of 16 Old 04-29-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Anyone have any more information about SimpleTV? You can preorder one for $149.99, and for $4.99 monthly fee will let you record shows, and stream them to 5 devices. I am wondering if it will stream to your mobile phone anywhere you are as long as you've got a good connection?

Also, will it be possible to use my unraid server to record and stream the media? I wasn't able to get this answers from their website, but I am interested.

The downside is that it will only work for 1 TV (i.e. single tuner device).

Here's the link to their website:

https://www.simple.tv/

Have to say I dont get this product. It seems weaker than slingbox and costs more and has a montly service fee.

sling does this for less money and no monthly fee.

sling is not an OTA DVR. This appears to be a DVR solution as well. so if its a decent stand alone DVR then I could see the purpose.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-29-2012, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

Have to say I dont get this product. It seems weaker than slingbox and costs more and has a montly service fee.

sling does this for less money and no monthly fee.

sling is not an OTA DVR. This appears to be a DVR solution as well. so if its a decent stand alone DVR then I could see the purpose.

Yeah, that's what I was looking at as well, but I am also looking at the HDHomrun, which comes with 3 tv tuners and can record and stream as well.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #7 of 16 Old 04-29-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

This appears to be a DVR solution as well. so if its a decent stand alone DVR then I could see the purpose.

Yes - with attached external storage and viewing is handled via (supported on several devices) apps. One major drawback is it's only a single tuner. Also, I wonder how well the video quality is per the app(s). The concept is sound... NAS-like based DVR with playback using your existing clients. To be a real solution it needs at least two tuners (I know you can stack them but you have to manually switch back and forth...) and a solid viewing app. I have seen the details for quite a while... no actual feedback however. Also, it has no support for cablecards unlike one version of the HDHomeRun.

The HDHomeRun comes in two versions. Dual tuner for OTA or three tuner for cablecards. Neither offer native playback for clients (outside of PC software on some versions). They work nicely for playback of previous recordings however live TV via your client (streamer) is typically not a good experience. Such as no playback at all, stops once it reaches the point you started watching, you can't pause and continue. Not to mention each channel is a different stream so you'll have to be able to change files/streams to switch channels.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-29-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Yes - with attached external storage and viewing is handled via (supported on several devices) apps. One major drawback is it's only a single tuner. Also, I wonder how well the video quality is per the app(s). The concept is sound... NAS-like based DVR with playback using your existing clients. To be a real solution it needs at least two tuners (I know you can stack them but you have to manually switch back and forth...) and a solid viewing app. I have seen the details for quite a while... no actual feedback however. Also, it has no support for cablecards unlike one version of the HDHomeRun.

The HDHomeRun comes in two versions. Dual tuner for OTA or three tuner for cablecards. Neither offer native playback for clients (outside of PC software on some versions). They work nicely for playback of previous recordings however live TV via your client (streamer) is typically not a good experience. Such as no playback at all, stops once it reaches the point you started watching, you can't pause and continue. Not to mention each channel is a different stream so you'll have to be able to change files/streams to switch channels.

I didn't know that about the HDHomerun. Good thing I didn't pull the trigger on one when woot.com had them for sale at $165 including shipping for the 3 turner version.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #9 of 16 Old 04-29-2012, 08:36 PM

Liked: 14
From my research I noticed that the Simple.TV will not output DD5.1 sound. They hope to change that. The lack of more than one tuner and no DD5.1 are the initial pitfalls IMO. I do like they have a Roku app. ready for when it ships.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-30-2012, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post

From my research I noticed that the Simple.TV will not output DD5.1 sound. They hope to change that. The lack of more than one tuner and no DD5.1 are the initial pitfalls IMO. I do like they have a Roku app. ready for when it ships.

I agree. I also see their price $150.00 to be a hard sale!

Home Theater Set Up:

post #11 of 16 Old 04-30-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Hmmm... I'm not sure when was the last time you tried HDHomerun Prime (the cablecard version). I know it had some issues when it first came out, but I've been using it with Comcast for a little over a month and it's been flawless.

My setup:
The HDHomerun is installed in my Junction box in Master Bedroom. I stream it to my HTPC in my living room via a 10mbps LAN connection. I also stream it to my Master bedroom HTPC using a wireless-N connection. HD streams to my living room TV is perfect but my wireless setup isn't the best and I get breaks in HD streams to my bedroom PC.

You do need a windows 7 box, all versions of Windows 7 have Media Center built in.

Right now I am recording everything on my Living Room PC, I've recorded 3 streams at the same time without any problems. I've been recording HBO movies too, which I can watch anytime later, even when the PC is offline.

The only flaw I've seen till now is, if I'm watching a program since the beginning, let's say with a 9:00pm start, and at 9:15 I decide that I like the program and want to record it, even though the last 15 minutes stream has been recorded on my HDD, when I click record, it starts recording (saving) from 9:15 pm.
post #12 of 16 Old 04-30-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaj32 View Post

Hmmm... I'm not sure when was the last time you tried HDHomerun Prime (the cablecard version). I know it had some issues when it first came out, but I've been using it with Comcast for a little over a month and it's been flawless.

My setup:
The HDHomerun is installed in my Junction box in Master Bedroom. I stream it to my HTPC in my living room via a 10mbps LAN connection. I also stream it to my Master bedroom HTPC using a wireless-N connection. HD streams to my living room TV is perfect but my wireless setup isn't the best and I get breaks in HD streams to my bedroom PC.

You do need a windows 7 box, all versions of Windows 7 have Media Center built in.

Right now I am recording everything on my Living Room PC, I've recorded 3 streams at the same time without any problems. I've been recording HBO movies too, which I can watch anytime later, even when the PC is offline.

The only flaw I've seen till now is, if I'm watching a program since the beginning, let's say with a 9:00pm start, and at 9:15 I decide that I like the program and want to record it, even though the last 15 minutes stream has been recorded on my HDD, when I click record, it starts recording (saving) from 9:15 pm.

kcaj,

What file format does the HDHomerun save the recorded files? Can you save these files anywhere you want or does it have to be the W7 PC? For example, I wanted to use HDHomerun to records show's to my unraid server, and then I want to use my media players to play the recorded shows rather than using WMC. I think this would be possible, but it will depend on what file format the show is save as.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #13 of 16 Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaj32 View Post

Sure it works with WMC. Note I was addressing streaming clients (Boxee Box, WD TV Live, NeoTV 500, etc) and live TV. Some clients have been nice enough to remove support for it such as Boxee Box... again with others it's not very pretty.
post #14 of 16 Old 04-30-2012, 11:30 AM

Liked: 14
Unfortunately the HDHomeRuns do not record (and the advantage of Simple.TV). That's where Windows media center comes it. From WMC you play and record shows.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-30-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post

Unfortunately the HDHomeRuns do not record (and the advantage of Simple.TV). That's where Windows media center comes it. From WMC you play and record shows.

Some versions come bundled with software. For Windows and or OS X... you aren't stuck with just WMC. However yes bare bones is the tuner (and driver if needed). That is the appeal of simple.tv... network DVRing and client apps. Hopefully, it will get to version 3 or so before too long... I'd love to see it compete with TiVo. Now that TiVo supports streaming and has lowered their monthly fee... it won't be easy. Oh their client is coming as well... already available via some cable systems.
post #16 of 16 Old 04-30-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

kcaj,

What file format does the HDHomerun save the recorded files? Can you save these files anywhere you want or does it have to be the W7 PC? For example, I wanted to use HDHomerun to records show's to my unraid server, and then I want to use my media players to play the recorded shows rather than using WMC. I think this would be possible, but it will depend on what file format the show is save as.

I believe it's WTV format. I am planning on a similar setup but after a couple of google searches, it looks like, to be able to share/stream content, it would have to be done through Windows Media Extenders - the most common one is the XBox 360.

Quote:

Sure it works with WMC. Note I was addressing streaming clients (Boxee Box, WD TV Live, NeoTV 500, etc) and live TV. Some clients have been nice enough to remove support for it such as Boxee Box... again with others it's not very pretty.

Sorry, didn't realize you meant streaming clients. It should work nicely with clients which act as Windows Media Extenders.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page