Squeezebox Assistance - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-07-2012, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently I have a Logitech Squeezebox Touch running music (internet + local from a laptop) to my first floor. I have an Apple Airport Extreme router. I love the system, but would really like to have a large HDD connected to either the Squeezebox or router, PLUS negate the need for having the laptop on at all times. My understanding is that a computer needs to be on to manage such files.

So I ask... is there a way to control music files through Squeezebox without a computer? If not, what would be my best option? A mini computer/server?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-07-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The Touch has an embedded server that apparently will allow you to attach a USB hard drive and not require a PC running the Logitech Media Server. I'm not sure how well it works as I have not tried it. See here:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/TinySC
post #3 of 6 Old 05-07-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by contrast11 View Post

So I ask... is there a way to control music files through Squeezebox without a computer? If not, what would be my best option? A mini computer/server?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

The Touch has an embedded server that apparently will allow you to attach a USB hard drive and not require a PC running the Logitech Media Server. I'm not sure how well it works as I have not tried it.

Yup. All you need is a USB drive connected directly to the SBT. The problem is that the bigger the library, the more difficult the navigation on the small screen.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I've also been talking to some members of the Logitech forums about possibly running a Vortexbox or dedicated mini-PC.

Regarding the USB-direct HDD... is there a limit on capacity? Also, how reliable are the current wifi enabled USB HDD units on the market?
post #5 of 6 Old 05-12-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by contrast11 View Post

Thanks for the replies. I've also been talking to some members of the Logitech forums about possibly running a Vortexbox or dedicated mini-PC.

If you don't mind spending the $$$ on it, I can highly recommend the VortexBox Appliance. It is tailor designed to be a network attached storage (NAS) server for the Squeezebox Touch. It runs the SqueezeBox Server software that controls the interface with your Touch, so there is no need to have another computer running (the VBA is itself a small form linux computer that runs cool and quiet). The VBA is available with a 1TB or 2TB (and maybe even a 3TB?) internal hard disc drive. You may connect your own external hard disc drive for backup only, not as additional sources of storage from which you can play music files via the VBA.

I've been using one for 3 years now, and it's been reliable and trouble free. There is an active community that serves up advice and assistance with problems and setup, and updates are released frequently to add and improve functionality.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-24-2013, 06:53 PM

I recently changed mac computers and now my transporter and 2 squeezeboxes need to be rehooked up. Anybody know someone who does this type of thing in new haven ct area?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page