Need suggestions- simple media player... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,
I am totally clueless about these boxes, so I can use some help.
I am searching for a simple 1080 HDMI capable set-top digital media player to use with my Sony HDTV. I'm using my DVD player for this now, using an SD card/reader plugged into it's usb port, but it only plays avi's.
I need the ability to play mp4 and mkv as well as avi and xvid, and pretty much most any audio/video codecs and formats.
I also need something that displays subtitles properly, as I watch quite a few foreign films.
I plan on staying with SD cards, or maybe a portable hard drive, so I need something with a usb port.
I also need something that has the red and white analog audio out jacks, so it will work with with my wireless headphones and analog switchbox.
I would prefer something that is not networked, as the wifi interferes with my wireless headphones. I found this out by hooking up a laptop to the TV, and when the wifi connected, the headphones went nuts.
I also don't need an internal drive, as I find SD cards perfectly adequate.
I don't want to spend a fortune. $200 is the absolute max I can spend, although I'd prefer something for around $100 or less.
Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Too many choices to fit your needs. How about WD TV (original, live or live+) off eBay? Don't think you can get them at retail anymore as they got replaced by the wireless-integrated Live Streaming model. Ones I listed will cost around $45-75 for used or refurb off eBay.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Old 05-09-2012, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This site may help - you can filter the search results many ways...

iboum.com/
Old 05-09-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Too many choices to fit your needs. How about WD TV (original, live or live+) off eBay? Don't think you can get them at retail anymore as they got replaced by the wireless-integrated Live Streaming model. Ones I listed will cost around $45-75 for used or refurb off eBay.

I've been looking at the WDTV ones.

Do you know if the wireless on the units that have it can be disabled?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Only the latest WD Live Streaming has wireless built-in, and I believe you can disable it in 'Settings' as the unit has wired option as well.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Only the latest WD Live Streaming has wireless built-in, and I believe you can disable it in 'Settings' as the unit has wired option as well.

Thank you, that's helpful.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Do you know if the WDTV works with idx/sub subtitles?

According to the specs on the WD site, that format (Vobsub) isn't listed.

That's a major problem for me...
Old 05-10-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

You may be right. Just Google'd "vobsub wdtv" and it returned quite a few forum threads on people having issues. I do know that Popcorn Hour players support IDX/VOBSUB (up to 480p) as I have some MKVs with those.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:39 PM
FX4

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well define cheap. With everything you want to do I would probably look at XBMC or Plex. XBMC works better but is a lot more work to set up. Plex will do everything you ask but you need a client and a server. XBMC has fewer bugs than Plex but Plex with the right client has a better front end. I am not aware of an STB that will play everything you want right out of the box.

But if you really need to keep it simple, the next option is Windows Media Center. It's your combination of must have Playback files that makes this hard. You can also use Playon with a Roku box and tell it not to transcode MP4s and MKVs.

Anyway I look at it though is your quest is not a plug and play solution. You will need to do some learning and configuration.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4 View Post

Well define cheap. With everything you want to do I would probably look at XBMC or Plex. XBMC works better but is a lot more work to set up. Plex will do everything you ask but you need a client and a server. XBMC has fewer bugs than Plex but Plex with the right client has a better front end. I am not aware of an STB that will play everything you want right out of the box.

But if you really need to keep it simple, the next option is Windows Media Center. It's your combination of must have Playback files that makes this hard. You can also use Playon with a Roku box and tell it not to transcode MP4s and MKVs.

Anyway I look at it though is your quest is not a plug and play solution. You will need to do some learning and configuration.

Wow- waaaaaaay too complicated for me...

I'm just looking for something that will play xvid/divx avi's, mkv's, and mp4's. It should support the usual audio like mp3/ac3/aac as well. Plus, I need something that supports both srt and idx/sub subtitles.

That's really not that complicated. I don't want an HTPC, nor do I want some kind of gaming console as I don't game.

About Windows Media Center- I'm a Linux user.

I don't need something networked, or with a built-in hard drive. Just an HDMI port and a usb port or two, 1080 output, and analog audio out. And a remote. That's it.

There has to be some kind of simple set top box that can do what I need.

I saw an inexpensive little Micca one on Amazon that pretty much fits the bill, but I'm not at all familiar with that brand.

So... I'm still looking...
Old 05-10-2012, 03:57 PM
FX4

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think that is kind of my point. There are boxes that will do one or two of the things you want but when you start asking for a broad breadth of playback options you are either getting into complicated or several playback devices. And it really is that complicated because you are asking for file types that are native to different operating systems. If there was a do it all box that worked people would be using it on mass but there isn't. People do one of several things:
1. Settle on an STB and convert all their files to a format it supports.
2. Get multiple playback devices that will handle their needs.
3. Build an HTPC.
4. Use a PC and install a transcoder like Plex or Playon
5. A combination of above (Me and a lot of other people).

If you want all this stuff to work well for you, you need to be OS agnostic, quite frankly for a plug and play system, Windows Media Center is about the best thing going. It works and it works well.

I have a closet full of STBs that promised the world and fell on their face one way or another. I ended up using best of bread for each thing I want to do. For your set of tasks I use a Mac Mini setup with XBMC. iTunes Plays the M4V files, XBMC handles the rest. I also run Roku boxes with Plex clients. And an ATV to stream from our iPads and play M4V files.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Look here: http://www.amazon.com/IncrediSonic-U...6690326&sr=8-1

This device is as cheap and simple as it's gonna get, and it's tiny. But what it can do for this price amazed me.

It can play DTS audio, ripped DVDs and Blurays (not ISOs), along with many other types of files . . . and can even correctly play back 23.976 fps, a problem Realtek players have been having for years!

I don't know if it will fulfil your subtitle requirements, but if you want something barebones, cheap, and very capable, you might want to give it a whirl. The case is even made of metal!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchancetodream View Post

Look here: http://www.amazon.com/IncrediSonic-U...6690326&sr=8-1

This device is as cheap and simple as it's gonna get, and it's tiny. But what it can do for this price amazed me.

It can play DTS audio, ripped DVDs and Blurays (not ISOs), along with many other types of files . . . and can even correctly play back 23.976 fps, a problem Realtek players have been having for years!

I don't know if it will fulfil your subtitle requirements, but if you want something barebones, cheap, and very capable, you might want to give it a whirl. The case is even made of metal!

I have actually been looking at that one.

I am compiling a list of players of interest, and specs. The subs thing is a must. If my 5 year old Philips DVD player can play xvid/divx avi's with srt or idx/sub subtitles, I would expect any box I get to do the same.

I just need a couple more formats. But this one is going on my short list for now.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4 View Post

I think that is kind of my point. There are boxes that will do one or two of the things you want but when you start asking for a broad breadth of playback options you are either getting into complicated or several playback devices. And it really is that complicated because you are asking for file types that are native to different operating systems. If there was a do it all box that worked people would be using it on mass but there isn't. People do one of several things:
1. Settle on an STB and convert all their files to a format it supports.
2. Get multiple playback devices that will handle their needs.
3. Build an HTPC.
4. Use a PC and install a transcoder like Plex or Playon
5. A combination of above (Me and a lot of other people).

If you want all this stuff to work well for you, you need to be OS agnostic, quite frankly for a plug and play system, Windows Media Center is about the best thing going. It works and it works well.

I have a closet full of STBs that promised the world and fell on their face one way or another. I ended up using best of bread for each thing I want to do. For your set of tasks I use a Mac Mini setup with XBMC. iTunes Plays the M4V files, XBMC handles the rest. I also run Roku boxes with Plex clients. And an ATV to stream from our iPads and play M4V files.

"And it really is that complicated because you are asking for file types that are native to different operating systems."

An avi is an avi whether it's on Linux, Windows, or OSX. It's pretty much the same for mkv and mp4. I'm not looking to play anything exotic, just pretty much everyday formats.

I don't use any Apple formats except lately a lot of the mp4's I am running across have AAC audio.

If I wanted to have to convert everything, I wouldn't need a STB. I could just use AviDemux and convert everything to xvid avi's. Then I could play these on my 5 year old Philips DVD player, complete with srt or idx/sub subtitles. I've been doing this lately, but it's time consuming.

Looked at Roku boxes, but I read that you have to give them a credit card # just to set the thing up. I dismissed that one immediately for that reason.

I don't need to stream. I don't have an iPhone, or a tablet. I have only ONE HDTV, I just want to hook up a STB that will play mkv and mp4 from an SD card. I could still play divx on the DVD player if I have to. That's it.

Building a HTPC is out of the question. It's overkill for my needs, and way more trouble than it's worth.

I'm sure your setup is great. it sounds like you've put a lot of effort into it.

I appreciate the feedback, but your way of doing this is just way too complicated- and expensive- for me.

I was going to go with the WDTV- which plays all the formats I need- except it doesn't have the subtitle support. So I just need to find something like the WDTV that supports idx/sub subs and that should be good.

But thanks for your input, and your setup sounds absolutely killer!
Old 05-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
This is what you need:

http://www.amazon.com/Micca-EP600-G2...6861273&sr=8-1

Latest 1186 SoC, will play back all those files easily. Avoid the WDTV, the firmware is utter rubbish. 100%. Just look at the forums - .mkv's stuttering, network lockups, its a mess. Micca is proactive in fixing problems with its firmware and it does listen, it has a rep on this forum that can actually help you too. This should be arriving this week and I will put it through its paces.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

This is what you need:

http://www.amazon.com/Micca-EP600-G2...6861273&sr=8-1

Latest 1186 SoC, will play back all those files easily. Avoid the WDTV, the firmware is utter rubbish. 100%. Just look at the forums - .mkv's stuttering, network lockups, its a mess. Micca is proactive in fixing problems with its firmware and it does listen, it has a rep on this forum that can actually help you too. This should be arriving this week and I will put it through its paces.

Rubbish... absolutely love that word, are you British...?

You're getting this? Great!

I wasn't planning on getting the WDTV because it doesn't support idx/sub subtitles. That's a dealbreaker for me.

Do you know if this player supports idx/sub?

Another poster suggested the Incredisonic player. That one supports the formats I want as well, and it's pretty inexpensive. It's on my short list.

I am going to research the subtitle capability of this Micca player. But in the meantime, as you're putting it through it's paces, please let me know how it's working.

Let me know if the networking can be disabled. I don't plan on running the player on a network, just playing files from an SD card.

Thanks for the input!
Old 05-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

It certainly does support .idx/.sub and .srt. If you don't plan on networking just leave the ethernet jack alone. I doubt you can actually *disable* networking. It has a bonus over the other player, you can directly connect a bare hard drive to the side via SATA which is certainly useful. I'll be posting a review as soon as I get my hands on it. I'll be torture testing it with at least 50 different files to see just how good its compatibility is.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It certainly does support .idx/.sub and .srt. If you don't plan on networking just leave the ethernet jack alone. I doubt you can actually *disable* networking. It has a bonus over the other player, you can directly connect a bare hard drive to the side via SATA which is certainly useful. I'll be posting a review as soon as I get my hands on it. I'll be torture testing it with at least 50 different files to see just how good its compatibility is.

Yes, the SATA hookup is handy. I always have lots of drives around. Mostly I use them with Thermaltake BlacX hard drive docks, but to be able to quickly hook up an sata drive might come in handy.

Now- about the "stuttering" thing- that has me a bit concerned. I've been reading the Micca ep950 thread, and I'm reading a LOT of complaints about stuttering with not only the 1186, but also the 1185 chip.

It seems that the problem is mostly with files with a 23.976 fps rate. I have a lot of those, but I also have a lot encoded at 25 fps too. And a few at 24 fps as well.

I never considered framerate, because at least with the xvid avi's I play with my Philips dvd player, I play pretty much all of those framerates and I never noticed a problem on my 40" Sony Bravia HDTV.

When you get your player could you please test some files with different framerates and post your findings back here?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

At least 80% of my files are 23.976 (pulldowned from NTSC sources more than likely). I will certainly test a bundle of those. I would imagine you'd enable 24p playback on your TV and on the player to get the best settings, generally speaking, and the TV would fill in and repeat frames as necessary. I'll test and find out. The player should arrive this week hopefully.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

At least 80% of my files are 23.976 (pulldowned from NTSC sources more than likely). I will certainly test a bundle of those. I would imagine you'd enable 24p playback on your TV and on the player to get the best settings, generally speaking, and the TV would fill in and repeat frames as necessary. I'll test and find out. The player should arrive this week hopefully.

Great, thanks! I can't wait to see what results you get.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Its shipped via Express DHL, will arrive within three days. I'll put it through its paces then and do a full write up.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:33 AM
Advanced Member

Testing now, will be posting review soon. Very impressed so far, all .iso's and files tested at 24p are working perfectly.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Testing now, will be posting review soon. Very impressed so far, all .iso's and files tested at 24p are working perfectly.

x2
i have a micca EP950 and its perfect in dvd, 2D and 3D

check this treat

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...380932&page=27

Portuguese Blog & Forum Discussion about Audio & Video
Visit our Blog & Forum CinemaHIFI.PT
Like cinemahifi on Facebook
Old 05-18-2012, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Are you testing 23.976 files? They're playing at 24p? Isn't that the root cause of the problem with the stutter?

Have you tried any 25 fps PAL videos?

I'm just chomping at the bit waiting for your results... that's why I've been holding off on getting something.

I'm letting you be the "guinea pig"... sorry... LOL
Old 05-18-2012, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

At least 80% of my files are 23.976 (pulldowned from NTSC sources more than likely). I will certainly test a bundle of those. I would imagine you'd enable 24p playback on your TV and on the player to get the best settings, generally speaking, and the TV would fill in and repeat frames as necessary.

To address this:

I have a 40" Sony Bravia HDTV model KDL-40BX420.

I have gone through every setting in the menu, and I don't see anything whatsoever concerning framerate. It is a 60Hz tv, and I see no way to change it.

Admittedly, I am a total Luddite when it comes to this stuff. I've been using analog everything up until a few months ago when the old tube TV died and I had to get an HDTV.

So, am I missing something- or does the player set the framerate and not the TV?

This stuff is hard... it makes my brain hurt...
Old 05-18-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by canton160 View Post

x2
i have a micca EP950 and its perfect in dvd, 2D and 3D

Is the EP950 the same chipset as the EP600 Tiddles88 has?
Old 05-18-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the G2 version of EP600.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Your TV supports 24p, it should be somewhere in the menu system, the review is up here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1411212
Old 05-19-2012, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Your TV supports 24p, it should be somewhere in the menu system, the review is up here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1411212

Awesome review!

I noticed that right up front you addressed the main point of the compatibility of the Realtek 1186 with the 3 different framerate videos.

I also noticed you connected it right to the tv, just as I am going to do, and playback from SD and usb and not over a network.

Wow- the first paragraph told me pretty much everything I needed to know, but the rest of the review is also very in depth and helpful.

The only thing that concerns me is that little problem you had with the firmware upgrade. My Philips DVD player had a firmware upgrade that was faulty. It was entirely Philip's fault, but many people who did the upgrade bricked their player.

I didn't do mine until after it was fixed, so when I did it it went smoothly.

This review was SO helpful, you just have no idea. I feel confident enough to order the Micca now.

Woo hoo, no more hours of conversion.

BTW- I went through every menu on my TV- the only thing I see is something called "CineMotion" and it's either off or on, there arent any settings for it. I did try setting it to "off" but it popped right back to on, so I don't know what's up with that.

Thanks for a great review!