What OS(s) do I put in new htpc/media server build? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-10-2012, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for input and advice. Finally built a nice machine, gigabyte g.1 assassin mb, i7-960 cpu, 24gb ram (overkill but it was cheap enough), nvidia gtx 550 ti vid card, 5 HDDs with plan to use raid1 to mirror two 250gbs for OS(s) and Raid5 3 3TB drives for storage, 1000w psu all in a nice looking cooler master case. I'm definitely installing Win 7 ultimate, was also considering dual boot to server. I bought WHS 2011 for $50 and I can't get it to install. I took out all the raids I set up thinking they were causing the issue, but still no luck. WHS starts to install and fails during configuration. I've tried 5 times now and without fail, at 57% it says there is an error and to reinstall from the cd. It takes about an hour to reach the error phase, so obviously I'm a tad frustrated now.

I have two questions really. A- Does anyone have any idea or suggestion on what could be causing the install failure? and
B- is WHS even worth the hassle? I called MS and they were useless, I know, shocking...Now I'm thinking of giving Linux based Amahi a shot. Does anyone have any experience using Amahi in a home server environment? Or is Win 7 ultimate plenty capable of handling all my server/streaming needs?

I plan to use the htpc mostly directly connected to my a/v receiver setup in family room, but also want something that can stream easily to other rooms, and some light gaming, and as a general desktop occasionally.

TIA for any insight anyone can shed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Did you try installing WHS with only one HD in the server?
post #3 of 3 Old 05-11-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yeah, i left only one 250gb hdd in and it still wouldn't load. The only thing I can think at this point is a bad image on disc.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page