DLNA great on PS3, not so much on TV's built-in DLNA. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2012, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having some issues with streaming video via the built-in DLNA on my brand new Panasonic ST50 plasma.

I'm using a quad-core iMac and all of my connections are wired via ethernet, no wifi. I use either PS3 Media Server or Plex. I usually have better performance with PS3 Media Server, so I stick with that.

When I stream movies to my TV on my Playstation 3 it works flawlessly. No stuttering or issues of any kind.

If I try to use my Panasonic ST50's built-in DLNA instead of through my PS3 it stutters horribly and is unwatchable.

Any ideas from anyone knowledgeable with DLNA/PS3 Media Server, etc? Is it due to processing power/codecs in my TV versus what the PS3 uses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
This is where you need to learn what your TV can actually support and do vs what the PS3MS can do. Most likely your TV doesn't support the media you are trying to stream, or it just doesn't have a powerful enough processor to decode / transcode on the fly. In my opinion it is a waste of money and time to use DLNA on TV's....it is a waste of time to use DLNA at all.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Old 05-21-2012, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I would suggest using Serviio instead of PS3 media server, it does what PMS does but also has profiles for most DLNA TV's which might help as Serviio can transcode the video into a format the Panasonic TV understands.

Be sure to apply the Panasonic Viera profile to the IP address of the TV in Serviio control panel.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

I would suggest using Serviio instead of PS3 media server, it does what PMS does but also has profiles for most DLNA TV's which might help as Serviio can transcode the video into a format the Panasonic TV understands.

Be sure to apply the Panasonic Viera profile to the IP address of the TV in Serviio control panel.

I'd never heard of Serviio. I'll try it, thanks!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:18 AM

Hi there!

I know this is a year old...but just curious if Serviio helped resolve the problem? I've been looking at the ST50, or also the newer S60 (or S64 from costco) and am curious about their DLNA performance.

Thank you!!
Old 05-10-2013, 01:00 AM
Advanced Member

The ST60 have an updated media player from what I've read, not super great but covers most common formats and should do the job without the need for transcoding which is a necessity on almost all of Panasonic's older DLNA TV's.

As it happens I will getting an ST60 in the next week.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:58 PM

Awesome, thank you for the info!

Looks like I'll be picking up the S64 from Coscto this weekend...sounds like it's basically the S60, plus an AR filter which puts it closer to the ST60...since I don't need 3D and the extra "features" I'm hoping it'll be a perfect fit. And a 65" Panasonic plasma for $1399 is pretty sweet.

Also, I noticed you mentioned Serviio. I've read a little bit about it...would you recommend it over Plex? Or is it more like Ford vs Chevy...basically the same, but each side swears by it.

Thanks again!
Old 05-11-2013, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Serviio is a DLNA server first and foremost. Mezzmo is another very good DLNA server but it is commercial app, still though it is worth the money.

Plex is a delivery vehicle for Plex clients and secondary as a DLNA server.

To me the biggest difference is browsing, if you want quick access to your files without drilling down through multiple folders then Serviio is the way to go as it can be configured to display a basic copy of the folder structure on the HDD & nothing else through the DLNA interface. Plex on the other hand is designed for coverart based GUI's and DLNA was not designed with this in mind only text based listings, on top of that the Plex media library can be a chore to navigate.

Ultimately it comes down to your own personal preference.

User Tag List