Media players, I've never felt more clueless - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-22-2012, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, maybe I have, but not recently.

My main goal is to have all of my movies available without having to get up and change a dvd. And I would really like to have an on-screen menu that includes cover art. And if I could bypass the FBI warnings and previews that would be an added bonus.

I can't lose any video quality in the transfer because I'm projecting on a 133" screen (soon to be 166) so I need the highest resolution I can get. And I would like to accomplish this for $400-$500. Possible???

DVD Ripping - I downloaded DVDFab and ripped just one of my DVD's to my laptop. It seemed to copy fine, but playing it back was not what I expected. I couldn't get it to work at all in Windows Media Player. It worked with Cyberlink but it came across as about 7 separate files, each containing 15-20 minutes of content . So obviously I need some guidance here.

Media Player - I've been looking at some Micca players in the $60-$150 range. What's the difference? Are there better options out there? I won't be doing any streaming of online content.

Hard Drive - The Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 3 TB USB 3.0 seems fine, but again, I don't really know. What's the benefit of usb 3.0?

And finally, are there options for connecting all of this through my existing Sony receiver? It has plenty of HDMI inputs so I assume that will be an easy connection to the media player.

I truly have no idea what I'm doing here, only what I want the end-product to be. Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-22-2012, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are you only doing DVDs, or will you be doing bluray? How many discs of which type?

Do you need it to support 7.1/HD audio, or is regular 5.1 stuff fine?

Do you want to stream over a network from a server/nas/etc or do you want to just play from a hard drive directly attached to the media player?

If you only need DVD and 5.1 just about any $50-100 player will do everything you need easily.

If you want Bluray ISO with full menus and 7.1 HD audio you're in the $300 range for the good stuff (PCH and Dune)

All of em will do HDMI and go through a receiver

That's the streamer part- the storage part depends what/how much you need.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-22-2012, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz9 View Post

Are you only doing DVDs, or will you be doing bluray? How many discs of which type?

Do you need it to support 7.1/HD audio, or is regular 5.1 stuff fine?

Do you want to stream over a network from a server/nas/etc or do you want to just play from a hard drive directly attached to the media player?

If you only need DVD and 5.1 just about any $50-100 player will do everything you need easily.

If you want Bluray ISO with full menus and 7.1 HD audio you're in the $300 range for the good stuff (PCH and Dune)

All of em will do HDMI and go through a receiver

That's the streamer part- the storage part depends what/how much you need.

Thanks Kurtz9. Right now I'm only interested in DVD's, but would like the option of importing blu-rays if I decide to go that route. Probably 250-300 standard DVD's is the max.

5.1 is fine.

Plan to have the external hard drive attached as my sole source, so no streaming needed.

But I would like to have menu options for selecting chapters. And would like to be able to skip between chapters rather than just having to fast forward/search if I want to jump ahead to certain scenes.
post #4 of 11 Old 05-22-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by manning99 View Post

Thanks Kurtz9. Right now I'm only interested in DVD's, but would like the option of importing blu-rays if I decide to go that route. Probably 250-300 standard DVD's is the max.

5.1 is fine.

Plan to have the external hard drive attached as my sole source, so no streaming needed.

But I would like to have menu options for selecting chapters. And would like to be able to skip between chapters rather than just having to fast forward/search if I want to jump ahead to certain scenes.

I recommend MakeMKV for DVD and bluerays. It will rip the main movie only, with whatever soundtrack your choose, and chapters will also be kept.

USB 3.0 will not help you at all since most media player use it as a slave for transferring only.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 Old 05-23-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I recommend MakeMKV for DVD and bluerays. It will rip the main movie only, with whatever soundtrack your choose, and chapters will also be kept.

USB 3.0 will not help you at all since most media player use it as a slave for transferring only.

Thanks for the tip, MakeMKV worked much better than DVDFab. Although I'm sure the problem with DVDFab was user error.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-23-2012, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
DVD Ripper by DVDFab will rip a DVD to a single file, with or without compression, to a variety of containers like MKV, AVI, WMV, etc. At least that's the way I understand it reading the web site. It does appear DVD Ripper is a separate application than DVDFab but operates within the same DVDFab menu.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-23-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

DVDFab is a good software, but it didn't work well for me. Good thing you can try it out for 30 days prior to deciding to buy or not.

I use AnyDVD HD with ClownBD for bluray main movie only with secondary AC3 track, and subs. For SD movies I use MakeMKV. At rare occasion, I cannot rip the BD movie with ClownBD then I use MakeMKV.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #8 of 11 Old 06-10-2012, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

I used makemkv successfully for several DVD's, then one wouldn't even open and another seemed to do about 80% of it then failed. Tried that one on dvdfab and the same thing happened, about 80% then failure. The two that didn't work were both older DVD's, not sure if that matters. Are there some DVD's that just won't work or is there a way around this?
post #9 of 11 Old 06-10-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning99 View Post

I used makemkv successfully for several DVD's, then one wouldn't even open and another seemed to do about 80% of it then failed. Tried that one on dvdfab and the same thing happened, about 80% then failure. The two that didn't work were both older DVD's, not sure if that matters. Are there some DVD's that just won't work or is there a way around this?

Just tried a new one, it wouldn't open either. Says the source file is corrupt or invalid. Is it possible my DVD drive is the problem?
post #10 of 11 Old 06-10-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Just tried a new one, it wouldn't open either. Says the source file is corrupt or invalid. Is it possible my DVD drive is the problem?

I've had issues before with several DVD's and BD not being able to rip them at all. That's because the disk has corrupted files. I usually end up getting another copy of the disk, and I am able to rip them then.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #11 of 11 Old 06-10-2012, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I had some problems with the latest release of DVDFab with similar issues for BD. I had to go find a alternate download for the previous version of DVDFab, since DVDFab doesn't host their older versions, to correct it.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page