Streaming Movies from NAS to iPad 3 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-27-2012, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a DS 411+. To the OP I don't keep 2 copies of my files. I am migrating everything to h.264 mp4. The Blu-rays are full quality with AC3 audio. The DVDs are encoded and I would say I notice a slight decrease in quality but I favor the flexibility. I then delete the .ISO or .mkv and if I want to change I always have the discs.

So now I have a roku on main home theater and one distributed through BOCS to rest of house plus anyone can watch all content on iPad. Next step is HDMI matrix.

This is just my setup FWIW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanderson10 View Post

I have a DS 411+. To the OP I don't keep 2 copies of my files. I am migrating everything to h.264 mp4. The Blu-rays are full quality with AC3 audio. The DVDs are encoded and I would say I notice a slight decrease in quality but I favor the flexibility. I then delete the .ISO or .mkv and if I want to change I always have the discs.

So now I have a roku on main home theater and one distributed through BOCS to rest of house plus anyone can watch all content on iPad. Next step is HDMI matrix.

This is just my setup FWIW.

If your original files have h.264 video then you need not reencode that stream. You can simply change the container from mkv to mp4. There are some really nice apps, such as subler, for that and it only takes a couple of minutes to do. The audio would probably have to be reencoded but that doesn't take long.

Philip
Old 06-04-2012, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You should try Filebrowser it streams your videos to your ipad and has airplay also. Works great for me only problem is it will only play files that your ipad supports.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose107 View Post

You should try Filebrowser it streams your videos to your ipad and has airplay also. Works great for me only problem is it will only play files that your ipad supports.

I bought FileBrowser ($5) on Mongoose107's recommendation and, wow, FileBrowser beats all the other players in an important way. It's the only player that plays my 1920x1080 (FHD) test files on an iPad 3. I didn't think it possible to play at that resolution. All the other players are major slideshow at FHD. So far the only video that FileBrowser slideshows on is Celine Dion - A New Day. I'm trying that title again with a lower bitrate encoding.

The new higher resolution has exposed a problem with FHD file rips. PavTube's Blu-Ray Ripper produces MP4 files, at FHD, with audio sync issues. I had to switch to DVDFab which produces well synced M4V files at FHD resolution.

FHD also strains WiFi. I had to set my Linksys WRT320N router to use 802.11N at 5Ghz to eliminate WiFi induced stutter.

Here's my toolchain:
1. iPad 3
2. WHS v1.0 NAS
3. DVDFab to reencode to .M4V files. Non-default settings: 1920x1080, 150% volume, uncheck Settings->File Transfer, no subpicture, adjust output file sizes to around 4.5GB.
4. FileBrowser on the iPad 3 to play resulting M4V files.
5. Linksys WRT320N router in 5GHz N mode (single band router).

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
Old 08-31-2012, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just set up iPad 3 streaming using Goodplayer to my TV using Apple TV. But to confirm, it sounds like FileBrowser does not support non-native iPad formats like AVI or MKV ?