What is the best player? Boxee Box, PCH A-300, Dune, WDTV2, AIOS, or NeoTV550? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is the best player? Boxee Box, PCH A-300, Dune, WDTV2, AIOS, or NeoTV550?

I don't care about connecting it to a hdd. I don't care about streaming services other than Hulu Plus and Netflix.

All I care about is being able to play downloaded movies off of a uPnP aka DLNA server running on my PC upstairs.

All I want is the fastest most responsive player of movies over DLNA available for $200 or less.

I have a WD Live player that plays everything I have on my 9 tb server over dlna, but lags like crazy when I am browsing through my massive video list, so I need to replace it with something that won't lag. So something with a cutting edge cpu and lots of ram would be ideal.

And no I absolutely do not want to build my own HTPC. I would much rather buy something that comes working out of the box with minimal set up.

Which do you recommend and why? The PCH A-300?

Thank you very much in advance.

Bonus: If the correct answer is the PCH A-300, what is the cheapest way for me to get it as I live in the US and it's not in stores.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
I would suggest a Roku box for Netflix and Hulu. If money isn't a problem I would suggest the Dune H1 or D1 via network samb and not DLNA.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Why those choices?

Roku doesn't support local streaming so thats a no go.

Like I said, I have a server streaming over 9tb worth of video locally over dlna (ps3 media server)

I want a device that will browse and play that content lag free. Hulu and Netflix aren't anywhere close to as important.

My budget is $200.
post #4 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikoogle View Post

Why those choices?

Roku doesn't support local streaming so thats a no go.

Like I said, I have a server streaming over 9tb worth of video locally over dlna (ps3 media server)

I want a device that will browse and play that content lag free. Hulu and Netflix aren't anywhere close to as important.

My budget is $200.

If your budget is $200 then PCH and Dune are out of the question. PCH-A300 is $260 and the Dune is over $300.

With the Roku you can use Plex, and it will play your stored media. If your devices doesn't support the format it will transcode it on the fly.

Read this thread about some media players under the $200 mark:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1411963

Home Theater Set Up:

post #5 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
since when is the A-300 USD 269???? it is still USD 219 http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinesto...&mainItemId=45 or do i miss here something?
In my eyes i would go with the A-300 or get a used A-210 maybe.

Another player because you don't need a internal HDD, maybe the Popbox V8 is something for you?

One thing i can't understand why you wanna use the crap DLNA?? i mean i will never use that crap streaming ****, only real network shares are the way to go and won't give any kind of limitation.
post #6 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

I can do $219. But how about the Dune HD TVs. Theyre under $200.

Which has the least lag (better CPU, gpu and ram), popbox v8, a-300 or Dune HD TV

Is there a guide somewhere to set up a real network share? All Ive ever used is PS3 Media Server. It works well.

Thank you so much
post #7 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

a300 has the fastest chip here, dune has the previous SOC which is in C-200 and A2xx, the SOC in A300 is around 30% faster.

one other thing how about the Boxee Box it shouldn't be that bad only HD Audio sucks, so if you don't need HD Audio then maybe that is also a option for you?
post #8 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Any time you have a big library browsing can be slow using file list, I myself run a V8 in my bedroom, streaming from a upnp/dlna server called llink, But I use it with yamj/eversion in a jukebox setting. So i dont use the plain file list mode much.

It works for everything I need it to do.
post #9 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cHarOn99 View Post

since when is the A-300 USD 269???? it is still USD 219 http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinesto...&mainItemId=45 or do i miss here something?
In my eyes i would go with the A-300 or get a used A-210 maybe.

Another player because you don't need a internal HDD, maybe the Popbox V8 is something for you?

One thing i can't understand why you wanna use the crap DLNA?? i mean i will never use that crap streaming ****, only real network shares are the way to go and won't give any kind of limitation.

You've got to pay for shipping and taxes if you are in CA. If you are not in CA you have to pay for shipping only.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #10 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can do $219. But how about the Dune HD TVs. Theyre under $200.

Which has the least lag (better CPU, gpu and ram), popbox v8, a-300 or Dune HD TV

Is there a guide somewhere to set up a real network share? All Ive ever used is PS3 Media Server. It works well.

Thank you so much

This will depend on how you've got your network set up. If you Google how to crate shares, you will find a lot of information.

Quote:

a300 has the fastest chip here, dune has the previous SOC which is in C-200 and A2xx, the SOC in A300 is around 30% faster.

one other thing how about the Boxee Box it shouldn't be that bad only HD Audio sucks, so if you don't need HD Audio then maybe that is also a option for you?

A300 might have a faster chip, but it still has loses audio when playing HD audio tracks. They haven't been able to fix this issue yet.

You can find a used A200 / A210 on ebay for less than $200 bucks.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #11 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Micca Ep950 or EP600 g2

Are the best players around.

post #12 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canton160 View Post

Micca Ep950 or EP600 g2

Home Theater Set Up:

post #13 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Double post again sorry

post #14 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Double post

post #15 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

No matter how blazzing fast is your local network.
No matter if is all gigabyte.
No matter if the server/nas/unraid is hiper-mega-fast
No matter how perfect is the streamer.

If you streaming high definition movies by wireless it will Shutter get cat6 all over the house or at least a powerline for $100.
Job done.

post #16 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Canton160,

Could you please tell me why the Miccas are the best, for example in regards to what their internal cpu and ram are, and and what other devices you've tried.

My movies don't Shutter, not even the 12gb 1080p ones, even running off my cheap WD TV Streaming player. So I don't see any need to run ugly CAT5 cables all over the house.

The lag I experience is only when I'm browsing through my massive file list and occasionally when I'm browsing hulu or otherwise navigating the wd tv interface.

This leads me to think the network isn't the problem, the amount of ram and cpu/gpu is.
post #17 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You'll have to be more specific.

1. What exactly is crappy about DLNA? I've never had any issues with PS3 Media Server.

2. Why are real network shares better?

3. What exactly do you mean by real network shares? What sharing software are you referring to? Windows 7?

4. What set top box do you recommend using to give your TV access to these real network shares?
post #18 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

What is the best player? Boxee Box, PCH A-300, Dune, WDTV2, AIOS, or NeoTV550?

I don't care about connecting it to a hdd. I don't care about streaming services other than Hulu Plus and Netflix.

All I care about is being able to play downloaded movies off of a uPnP aka DLNA server running on my PC upstairs.

All I want is the fastest most responsive player of movies over DLNA available for $200 or less.

I have a WD Live player that plays everything I have on my 9 tb server over dlna, but lags like crazy when I am browsing through my massive video list, so I need to replace it with something that won't lag. So something with a cutting edge cpu and lots of ram would be ideal.

And no I absolutely do not want to build my own HTPC. I would much rather buy something that comes working out of the box with minimal set up.

Which do you recommend and why? The PCH A-300?

Thank you very much in advance.

Bonus: If the correct answer is the PCH A-300, what is the cheapest way for me to get it as I live in the US and it's not in stores.

There is no best player in that list. In any case using DLNA seems crazy to me. By insisting on Hulu+ and Netflix you have eliminated most players. As someone else mentioned get a Roku and put Plex on it. If you don't care about interface or premium content get the A-300. The Boxee Box has a far better interface and you get premium and local content.

Philip
post #19 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Canton160,

Could you please tell me why the Miccas are the best, for example in regards to what their internal cpu and ram are, and and what other devices you've tried.

My movies don't Shutter, not even the 12gb 1080p ones, even running off my cheap WD TV Streaming player. So I don't see any need to run ugly CAT5 cables all over the house.

The lag I experience is only when I'm browsing through my massive file list and occasionally when I'm browsing hulu or otherwise navigating the wd tv interface.

This leads me to think the network isn't the problem, the amount of ram and cpu/gpu is.

Your 1080p dont Shutter ? considerer yourself lucky.
read this treat about micca
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...380932&page=28

post #20 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

Canton160,

Simple, the Miccas have the newest 1186 processor from Realtek which has more grunt than the latest Sigma - 750Mhz vs 700Mhz - backed by 512MB DDR3 RAM. I have a review on this site, I've tested close to 50 files since that review from 480i to 1080p and I have not had a single playback issue. Now that is impressive. The firmware is solid too. So, what can beat the Micca? Not the WD, not the Pivos, and definitely not the Himedia.
post #21 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Your 1080p dont Shutter ? considerer yourself lucky.
read this treat about micca
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...380932&page=28

Don't blame the player, blame the AVR. It looks a HDMI/firmware issue. I have a direct connection to my TV and I have zero issues with 23.976 files set to 24p.
post #22 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

1.) To get a DLNA Logo you just need to support JPEG (Photos), LPCM (2-Channel-Audio) and MPEG-2 (Videos), most of the stuff you stream gets decoded on the fly to a crappy **** which dlna devices can handle, thats also the main reason why all your files play without a issue over your wifi, sorry but that DLNA was interresting many years ago when there were no devices who had enough power to encode the stuff.

2.) no restriction on fileformats, full access like on a local storage, so also file operations, no strong PC needed to decode everything on the fly, currently your PC is doing the work not the mediaplayer, DVD and BD navigation support, just simple no restrictions

3.) nfs (linux) or smb (Windows/Linux), filesystem gets mounted like a local harddrive, this means full access and no restrictions

4.) for me it is the Popcornhour devices, they just work for me and do everything i want, and it has a big community behind

about your WIFI setup, you have a WD Live, which is also not a bad device, you can try out to access a share on your PC using SMB, so don't use DLNA and then try a 10-30 GB mkv file with HD audio inside, also try maybe a BD iso and tell me if it still runs smooth for 10min.

Quote:

You'll have to be more specific.

1. What exactly is crappy about DLNA? I've never had any issues with PS3 Media Server.

2. Why are real network shares better?

3. What exactly do you mean by real network shares? What sharing software are you referring to? Windows 7?

4. What set top box do you recommend using to give your TV access to these real network shares?

post #23 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

the 1186 is not faster then the sigma, the only thing which it has is 3D mvc support thats currently the only advantage, no BD license so no BD menus, the processing power is lower, the network performance is really bad and thats strange since realtek does network stuff, image quality is not as good as on sigma, audio processing is not as good as on sigma, get your facts right before you compare an lowendchip with an more advanced chip.

Even if i would use a player with Realtek chip, which will never happen, then i would get an Iconbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

Simple, the Miccas have the newest 1186 processor from Realtek which has more grunt than the latest Sigma - 750Mhz vs 700Mhz - backed by 512MB DDR3 RAM. I have a review on this site, I've tested close to 50 files since that review from 480i to 1080p and I have not had a single playback issue. Now that is impressive. The firmware is solid too. So, what can beat the Micca? Not the WD, not the Pivos, and definitely not the Himedia.

post #24 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

the 1186 is not faster then the sigma, the only thing which it has is 3D mvc support thats currently the only advantage, no BD license so no BD menus, the processing power is lower, the network performance is really bad and thats strange since realtek does network stuff, image quality is not as good as on sigma, audio processing is not as good as on sigma, get your facts right before you compare an lowendchip with an more advanced chip.

Even if i would use a player with Realtek chip, which will never happen, then i would get an Iconbit.

Work for Dune? There is no picture or sound quality difference (you love Monster cables right?), the network speed is dependent on a different chip, and who cares about pretty menus - you want to watch the film right? As for processing power the 1186 is clocked higher than the Sigma. Low end vs high end? Pffft, rubbish.
post #25 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

sure i work for Dune thats also the main reason why i use a Popcornhour device ,
and no i don't work for a mediaplayer company.
i use cheap hdmi cables, for music i use some better cables more midrange.
The network has nothing todo with a different chip it gets handled by the soc and nothing else, thats why the sigma is around 2 times faster then the realtek on network, because it has more processing power.

you say the realtek is clocked higher lol, sorry but now you are getting funny

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/uploads/...SMP8640_br.pdf

A300 has SMP8646: 800Mhz CPU/FPU, 400Mhz IPU, 256KB L2 Cache, 3 400Mhz Audio Dsps
Micca has Realtek 1186: 750Mhz

on processing power the realtek is compareable to the SMP8670 which is a lowcost chip from sigma.

Quote:

Work for Dune? There is no picture or sound quality difference (you love Monster cables right?), the network speed is dependent on a different chip, and who cares about pretty menus - you want to watch the film right? As for processing power the 1186 is clocked higher than the Sigma. Low end vs high end? Pffft, rubbish.

post #26 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:

Micca Ep950 or EP600 g2

Holy MOTHER OF GOD! Are you serious?????
post #27 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

There is no best player in that list. In any case using DLNA seems crazy to me. By insisting on Hulu+ and Netflix you have eliminated most players. As someone else mentioned get a Roku and put Plex on it. If you don't care about interface or premium content get the A-300. The Boxee Box has a far better interface and you get premium and local content.

Philip

Agreed 100%! what you want for $200 is not going to happen.
End of story.
post #28 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

lol facts dont match much. the newest sigma 8647 is 800mhz with l2 cache and 512 ddr2. And dont even say ddr3 makes it so much better. The internal bus speed of these chips are not even close to the specs of ddr3 let alone ddr2. And when comparing mips chips the mhz really doesnt play a role in how fast it is. I want to say the 1186 is 1200 DMIPS might be wrong the sigma 8647 is 2208dmips almost double the speed. even the sigma 8644 which is 666mhz is 1840 still faster then the 1186. The only thing the 1186 has over most sigma chips is the 3d playback and from all the reports I have seen that is still hit or miss it works for some titles but not others.

To the OP. If you want to know the difference between dune and PCH and live in the US http://www.diamondhomedesign.com/ is a resller and installer of both ask questions to them they will give you a non bias answer.
post #29 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Don't blame the player, blame the AVR. It looks a HDMI/firmware issue. I have a direct connection to my TV and I have zero issues with 23.976 files set to 24p.

Dont get me wrong.
I was mention is non Shutter in 1080p using wireless and is wdtv.

If is not using dts-hd and no receiver its possible.

post #30 of 128 Old 05-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

lol facts dont match much. the newest sigma 8647 is 800mhz with l2 cache and 512 ddr2. And dont even say ddr3 makes it so much better. The internal bus speed of these chips are not even close to the specs of ddr3 let alone ddr2. And when comparing mips chips the mhz really doesnt play a role in how fast it is. I want to say the 1186 is 1200 DMIPS might be wrong the sigma 8647 is 2208dmips almost double the speed. even the sigma 8644 which is 666mhz is 1840 still faster then the 1186. The only thing the 1186 has over most sigma chips is the 3d playback and from all the reports I have seen that is still hit or miss it works for some titles but not others.

To the OP. If you want to know the difference between dune and PCH and live in the US http://www.diamondhomedesign.com/ is a resller and installer of both ask questions to them they will give you a non bias answer.

I have The micca ep950
100% in 3d just perfect
100% in 2d just perfect

Just make your own search in this fóruns about The users experience with micca.
Hey guys everyone is sharing their experiênces in streamers, Dont bash a player that you never tried before.

The realtek might be slower than sigma, but at least realtek has 3d And a awesome image quality, search or do your own tests.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page