Dune PCH-A300 Jukebox performance Comparison - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 05-28-2012, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Does anyone have an opinion on the performance differences between running Zappati/Yadis on a Dune Smart vs. running Eversion on an A-300? I'm curious if browsing your library is any faster on the Dune hardware with Zappati/Yadis/MyMoives compared to the A-300 hardware. I have a 600+ movie library and the A-300 can be a tad slow sometimes with Eversion.

Looky here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-29-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

Does anyone have an opinion on the performance differences between running Zappati/Yadis on a Dune Smart vs. running Eversion on an A-300? I'm curious if browsing your library is any faster on the Dune hardware with Zappati/Yadis/MyMoives compared to the A-300 hardware. I have a 600+ movie library and the A-300 can be a tad slow sometimes with Eversion.

Not necessarily a fair comparison as the A300 has an upgraded chip over the Dune. The A-300 loading is faster (not lightning fast, but faster)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #3 of 20 Old 05-29-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
I am not sure aboue YAMJ/Eversion since I wasn't able to make it work when I used to own a PCH-A300, but the internal jukebox for the A300 was pretty quick to start up.

I use a Dune D1 with Zappiti. Zappiti is slow at starting up due to my Unraid server has to spin up the hard drives whenever I am accessing a movie. After the hard drive(s) has spun up, Zappiti is fast and responsive.

dbone owns both and uses both jukeboxes. He should be able to answer this question better than I do.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #4 of 20 Old 05-29-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Not necessarily a fair comparison as the A300 has an upgraded chip over the Dune. The A-300 loading is faster (not lightning fast, but faster)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I am not sure aboue YAMJ/Eversion since I wasn't able to make it work when I used to own a PCH-A300, but the internal jukebox for the A300 was pretty quick to start up.

I use a Dune D1 with Zappiti. Zappiti is slow at starting up due to my Unraid server has to spin up the hard drives whenever I am accessing a movie. After the hard drive(s) has spun up, Zappiti is fast and responsive.

dbone owns both and uses both jukeboxes. He should be able to answer this question better than I do.

Thanks, it's not so much how fast the jukebox starts up, but once it's loaded if there's a difference in browsing speed. With the A-300 there's always a delay when scrolling through the movie wall while the box covers load. I was curious if the Dune was any better at this part.

Looky here!
post #5 of 20 Old 05-29-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Thanks, it's not so much how fast the jukebox starts up, but once it's loaded if there's a difference in browsing speed. With the A-300 there's always a delay when scrolling through the movie wall while the box covers load. I was curious if the Dune was any better at this part.

Dune is still on html skins unless you jump to the flash skin. The slow part of eversion is all in how you look at it. Yes not all covers load when you jump to a new page, but You dont have to wait for covers to load before you move on. Im just going to throw numbers out there not actual facts, Say html skins takes 2 second per each page you have to wait 10 seconds to move 5 pages, While eversion might take 2-3 seconds per page to load the images you dont have to wait 2 seconds to jump to next page you can move pages without it loading anything hence if you hold the down arrow it will fly over pages only loading the cover you are on. If you want covers to load faster but have slower navigation you can tweak some of the advanced settings in the settings file to achieve this.
post #6 of 20 Old 05-29-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Part of the delay with Eversion I believe is because it is running flash. HTML jukeboxes (like Zappiti) should in theory run faster if from attached storage since they are static images

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #7 of 20 Old 05-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Part of the delay with Eversion I believe is because it is running flash. HTML jukeboxes (like Zappiti) should in theory run faster if from attached storage since they are static images

I can confirm this, running yaDIS and Dune Flash Interface on my Dune. yaDIS is definitely faster, DFI is prettier. It isn't a huge difference, but it is noticeable.

Alex
post #8 of 20 Old 05-29-2012, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you can afford around $70 for a SSD, then the dune with Zappati/Yadis is very fast. With a SSD there is no pausing when scrolling up or down through pages. There is only a momentary pause (less then a second) when 1st entering any screen. Just put the Zappati/Yadis interface on the SSD drive and leave all of the videos on the network.

I have not be able to get a flash drive to work in a similair manner on my PH so it crawls in comparision.
post #9 of 20 Old 05-29-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemage View Post

If you can afford around $70 for a SSD, then the dune with Zappati/Yadis is very fast. With a SSD there is no pausing when scrolling up or down through pages. There is only a momentary pause (less then a second) when 1st entering any screen. Just put the Zappati/Yadis interface on the SSD drive and leave all of the videos on the network.

I have not be able to get a flash drive to work in a similair manner on my PH so it crawls in comparision.

I have a 60GB SSD sitting here that I was going to use, so perfect.

Thanks everyone for the information.

Looky here!
post #10 of 20 Old 09-21-2012, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Bumping this old thread ....

So how does the browsing speed (with a ssd installed) compare to say a wdtv live. The wdtv live is just sloooooow and feels unpolished
post #11 of 20 Old 11-13-2012, 01:29 PM

Liked: 10
Bumping this thread again (sorry) because I'm interested in this as well. What I am confused about is, how would you use the SSD?
Keep it connected via USB? Or use it internally (I have a Dune Base 3.0) with a 3.5" bracket and forgo the internal storage disk?

I fail to understand why an SSD would improve performance since in either case it is accessed via low-bandwith connectors (USB 2.0 or at best Sata I)
post #12 of 20 Old 11-13-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi MCSmarties,

I wouldn't call USB-2 or SATA "low-bandwidth". SATA-1 is 3 gigabit/second and USB-2 is 480 megabit/second. The Ethernet port on the Dune is only 100 megabit/second.

But the real performance improvement comes from the reduction in latency. A disc drive would have seek-times and rotational latency measured in milliseconds, which completely swamps any data-rate numbers. A solid-state drive has neither seek nor rotational latency, with access-times measured in nanoseconds.
post #13 of 20 Old 11-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemage View Post

If you can afford around $70 for a SSD, then the dune with Zappati/Yadis is very fast. With a SSD there is no pausing when scrolling up or down through pages. There is only a momentary pause (less then a second) when- for exap 1st entering any screen. Just put the Zappati/Yadis interface on the SSD drive and leave all of the videos on the network.

I assume that this solution only works well if you are using a single pch or dune to access your media vs multiple streamers on the network?
post #14 of 20 Old 11-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
PCH browsing speed is also very much dependent by what particular html jukebox you are using. For example, the 5150 skin on both my 100 and 200 series PCH is pretty snappy. The Aon skin is much prettier but much slower.
post #15 of 20 Old 11-14-2012, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
I use YAMJ / Eversion for my PCH-A210 and Zappiti for my Dune D1. I've got both jukeboxes in my server. If my server's drives are asleep then it takes about 30seconds or so to access the jukebox. Thereafter, it pretty responsive.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #16 of 20 Old 11-20-2012, 07:54 PM

Has anybody tested DFI (Dune Flash Interface) with an SSD? It's painfully slow on my Dune, particularly when loading "all movies".
The database is on the internal HDD, I have about 1050 movies in 650 or so groups.
post #17 of 20 Old 11-20-2012, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Which dune do you have ? Dfi is not fast but perfectly usable on my d1 with index on local drive, I know that it can be very slow on older models like 53d. I would say from fastest to slowest jukebox I tested : yadis, mymovies, dfi, yamj/eversion.
post #18 of 20 Old 11-22-2012, 08:04 PM

I have the Dune Base 3.0. Using DFI is not unbearably slow, but it takes a good 10 seconds to load the initial list of movies.
post #19 of 20 Old 11-23-2012, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am using both Yadis and Zappiti for my dunes. I stream from a Synology 1812. I have the interface on the NAS. The browsing runs a bit faster if its on a thumb drive or internal drive attached to dune vs a NAS
post #20 of 20 Old 11-25-2012, 08:52 AM

To anyone about to purchase a Dune and Popcorn Hour product, diamondhomedesign.com is currently running a bunch of Cyber Monday deals:

$30 A-300 for Black Friday - Cyber Monday Code = BlackA300
Free 2X Popcorn Hour Blu Ray (not installed) with C300 Purchase Black Friday - Cyber Monday Code = BlackC300 (add kit to your cart and apply code)
$15 Off PopBox v8 Black Friday - Cyber Monday Code = BlackPop
$75 Off Dune Max Black Friday - Cyber Monday Code = BlackMax
$40 Off Any Popcorn Hour C300 Rackshelf Black Friday - Cyber Monday Code = BlackShelfC300
$40 Off Any Popcorn Hour A300 Rackshelf Black Friday - Cyber Monday Code = BlackShelfA300
$5 Off Icy Dock Converter Black Friday - Cyber Monday Code = ICY
$15 Off Popcorn Hour C300 Blu Ray Kit Black Friday - Cyber Monday Code = BlackBD

Hopefully this helps you out!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page