Getting desperate... Advice needed on good content streamer ! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 81 Old 07-06-2012, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro67 View Post

J river has that all built in. You have to use 3 different programs, while I use one. Flac is supported in J river, among several other formats as well. SACD ISO, and the other SACD-r format. I only have maybe about 50 blurays on my server, but it plays rather smooth. Bluray's play better on my (3) Sony 7000ES megachangers. I have around 900 Blurays, but that is best place to play them. Much cheaper than hard drives, when I bought them last year. No problems with audio track, that I experienced in XBMC. Skins, and addons are available in J river's forum. Actually, you can make your own. There is a tutorial showing on how easy it is..

Not quite sure what you mean I have to use 3 different programs? XBMC supports flac.... 24 bit audio, replay gain, and wasapi, everything I want in my audio output. If your refering to SACD then yea i guess, but I dont know many who still use sacd.

Just like j-river it plays main bluray files on my pc stutter free, the new build also bitstreams all HD audio formats.

If you want menus you have to use tmt, jriver wont play bluray menus either, neither will xbmc. I have tmt setup in xbmc to launch when i play blurays for full menu support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 Old 07-06-2012, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Not quite sure what you mean I have to use 3 different programs? XBMC supports flac.... 24 bit audio, replay gain, and wasapi, everything I want in my audio output. If your refering to SACD then yea i guess, but I dont know many who still use sacd.
Just like j-river it plays main bluray files on my pc stutter free, the new build also bitstreams all HD audio formats.
If you want menus you have to use tmt, jriver wont play bluray menus either, neither will xbmc. I have tmt setup in xbmc to launch when i play blurays for full menu support.

1) XBMC for video
2) foobar for SACD
3) TMT for bluray.

J river doesn't support menus at this time. So in the future it will be supported. Personally, I use my Sony 7000ES changers for Bluray media. It was much cheaper to buy them last for $550 each. I have what is equal to 20TB, so the changers are my best optiion. I do have a few on the server, but takes lot of space. One member on the forum was able to buy those changers for $199 each, but it was scrached model at the Sony outlet store. He bought 6 Sony 7000ES 400 Disc megachangers. Actually, there is lot of people that are into SACD now. Since the posting of it in Computer Audiophile.
post #63 of 81 Old 07-06-2012, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffietje View Post

Hi Guys

This post turned out long, but please stay with me. Just wanted to be thorough !

I have one desire which is driving me nuts lately.
I would like to play Bluray HD 1080p content (mostly from internet) with optimal audio and video quality.
Most of these files are .MKV files with about 8500Kbps video bitrate and 1509Kbps DTS audio bitrate.
Frame rate is mostly 23.976 fps. Not all of my files are like this but 80% of it is, so that should give you an idea.

I live in Belgium by the way and this a PAL area in case that should be important later in the story.

Any people got experience with this player in a similar surround setup?
Are there better players out there to suit my needs?
I very much appreciate your feedback people!
Sorry for the long post but I liked to be as thorough as possible and provide as much info as possible.

Tia !

Buy a HiMedia HD900B or HD910B off of ebay for $200 and try that. They stream ok and play Blu-ray 3D with menus.
Another one I have tried that is ok but hard to find in a Bevix BV8178, BV8078 or BV8088 these have an extremely nice finish for a media player and play BD isos with full menus.

http://bevixtech.com/product/detail.php/id-19.html
post #64 of 81 Old 07-07-2012, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro67 View Post

1) XBMC for video
2) foobar for SACD
3) TMT for bluray.
J river doesn't support menus at this time. So in the future it will be supported. Personally, I use my Sony 7000ES changers for Bluray media. It was much cheaper to buy them last for $550 each. I have what is equal to 20TB, so the changers are my best optiion. I do have a few on the server, but takes lot of space. One member on the forum was able to buy those changers for $199 each, but it was scrached model at the Sony outlet store. He bought 6 Sony 7000ES 400 Disc megachangers. Actually, there is lot of people that are into SACD now. Since the posting of it in Computer Audiophile.

I dont use sacd. I use tmt for video due to me wanting bluray menu's. Xbmc can do what jriver does for video. If i was using jriver i would still have to use TMT for blurays if i wanted menus, not sure if you can even work tmt into jriver....Using tmt is just a personal preference if you want menu's, many people dont care and watch blurays just in xbmc player, which worked fine in my testing.

As for jriver supporting menus i did a quick google search and a post in their forum came up from yesterday saying no plans for menu support as of yet. Sounds like they are no futher then xbmc for adding menu's. Xbmc is working on it, but said its difficult and may take quite awhile yet.

Foobar i just use on my completely seperate desktop or laptop pc for listening instead of itunes, and putting songs on my android phone. It also serves as automation for adding replaygain values automatically when music is added. I really dont even touch foobar, it requires no upkeep from me.
post #65 of 81 Old 07-07-2012, 01:23 PM

Honestly, I rather skip the menu's, although there is a way to launch an external player in J River. There is someone posting in the thread now about getting TMT to work with J River.
He has got it to launch, but it seem that it can't play. I think he needs AnydvdHD running in the brackground to play his content. This allows J River the ability to play Bluray movies,
but it is done to make it legal. If I recall on XBMC, you don't need that software. Is it legal? I don't think so, because when you develop a full integrated system, then it is a target of MPAA.
I can think of a few software companies that did something similar. The solution was to make not integrated, so then it is legal. Doesn't matter if it is free or for profit. I know of one that was free and the developer had break into 2 separate software applications.

Oh, on the security issues. Once you know the history of XBMC, then you might think twice of using your username and password in a streaming service. XBMC is a team of developers/hackers
that you don't know their names. You can only contact them via the forum, so you are rather limited. J river developers is a USA based company and they put their real names and product out in the public, so you can contact them.
post #66 of 81 Old 07-07-2012, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Moderators please close this thread. It has become useless.

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV 3, Emotiva XMC-1, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, Sonus Faber Venere 2.5, Sonus Faber Venere Center, 4 x Emotiva ERD-1, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP
post #67 of 81 Old 07-07-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

I dont use sacd. I use tmt for video due to me wanting bluray menu's. Xbmc can do what jriver does for video. If i was using jriver i would still have to use TMT for blurays if i wanted menus, not sure if you can even work tmt into jriver....Using tmt is just a personal preference if you want menu's, many people dont care and watch blurays just in xbmc player, which worked fine in my testing.
As for jriver supporting menus i did a quick google search and a post in their forum came up from yesterday saying no plans for menu support as of yet. Sounds like they are no futher then xbmc for adding menu's. Xbmc is working on it, but said its difficult and may take quite awhile yet.
Foobar i just use on my completely seperate desktop or laptop pc for listening instead of itunes, and putting songs on my android phone. It also serves as automation for adding replaygain values automatically when music is added. I really dont even touch foobar, it requires no upkeep from me.

This was posted over in J River on how to do the menu's in TMT. So, I will post the reply here.

Re: Using Total Media Theater 5 to play BDMV?

Absolutely correct : only way to get full menu support unfortunately. if and once MC has this covered as well (maybe in a pro version) we can get rid of PDVD's and TMT's of this world...

So to your initial question :

You need to point TMT5 to the containing folder and not to the bdmv folder or the index file in the folder. If you have this structure for example : my bd/movie test/disc1/bdmv you need to point to disc1. A way to do so is to :
1. select tools>options>library&folders>manage library fields
2. add new field (I named it TMTLauncher)
3. set the new field to calculated data and construct your structure line. Here you could enter expression filevolume([filename])/FileFolder([Filename],2)/ ... (it will depend if you want to use relative paths or not - (display this new field in your library and check the result) remember you'll have to end up with the path to the folder holding your bdmv and certificate folders.
for expression building consult : http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_expression_language.

4. once the result of your expression is OK return under file types (in the MC17 options menu)
5. select video bdmv
6. choose external player (custom) under playback method and point to the tmt5 player (you can also try to point to the uMCETMT player which opens fine and is better when using theaterview but you will freeze MC17/TMT5 when returning....so better use the normal TMT5
7. under arguments enter "[TMTLauncher]" (thats the field you created under point 2)

That's it !!! works perfectly. Seems complicated but in reality it isn't. Just make sure you got the path naming right.
post #68 of 81 Old 07-07-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post

Closing a thread doesn't do anything. I still get the questions, so I have to reply.
post #69 of 81 Old 07-09-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post

I give another crybaby his way! I just delete my threads.
post #70 of 81 Old 07-10-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for all the suggestions guys !
I was able today to try my Dune HD Smart H1 and it plays everything it seems.
Everything I throw at it, it plays until now. Really a very good player !

Thanks again for the help guys ! cool.gif

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL Quake/Q3 sub / DUNE HD SMART H1 / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
post #71 of 81 Old 07-10-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys !
I was able today to try my Dune HD Smart H1 and it plays everything it seems.
Everything I throw at it, it plays until now. Really a very good player !
Thanks again for the help guys ! cool.gif

That's awesome. Just let us know if you have any more questions. What jukebox are you going to use? Zappiti, Yadis?

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #72 of 81 Old 07-10-2012, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

That's awesome. Just let us know if you have any more questions. What jukebox are you going to use? Zappiti, Yadis?

Jukebox not sure yet, not come around to it yet wink.gif

I do have one more question though.
If you look at my setup from the first post, how should I set the audio quality in the Dune preferences? To 7.1 or to 5.1 ?
I have the Dune hooked up via HDMI to my Marantz receiver. Should I just set the Dune to 7.1 and leave the downmixing to the Marantz ? My setup is only 5.1 but I was just wondering what the best settings are in this case.
I'm not gonna play much 7.1 audio on the Dune so will not matter much, but was just wondering.

Thanks again for the advice guys !

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL Quake/Q3 sub / DUNE HD SMART H1 / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
post #73 of 81 Old 07-10-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jukebox not sure yet, not come around to it yet wink.gif
I do have one more question though.
If you look at my setup from the first post, how should I set the audio quality in the Dune preferences? To 7.1 or to 5.1 ?
I have the Dune hooked up via HDMI to my Marantz receiver. Should I just set the Dune to 7.1 and leave the downmixing to the Marantz ? My setup is only 5.1 but I was just wondering what the best settings are in this case.
I'm not gonna play much 7.1 audio on the Dune so will not matter much, but was just wondering.
Thanks again for the advice guys !

If your AVR can play DTS HD MA and Dolby Digital HD, and your set up is 5.1, I would set it to Original (bitstreaming) and 5.1. I have mine set to Original bitstreaming and 7.1 since my set up is 7.1.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #74 of 81 Old 07-10-2012, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If your AVR can play DTS HD MA and Dolby Digital HD, and your set up is 5.1, I would set it to Original (bitstreaming) and 5.1. I have mine set to Original bitstreaming and 7.1 since my set up is 7.1.

My AVR can indeed play DTS HD MA and Dolby Digital HD (for instance with the LOTR BluRay box) and my speaker set-up is indeed 5.1
I already had it set to bitstreaming and 5.1 in the Dune Settings.

Can you explain why this is better in my case than for instance setting it in the Dune settings to bitstreaming and 7.1 ?

post #75 of 81 Old 07-10-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My AVR can indeed play DTS HD MA and Dolby Digital HD (for instance with the LOTR BluRay box) and my speaker set-up is indeed 5.1
I already had it set to bitstreaming and 5.1 in the Dune Settings.
Can you explain why this is better in my case than for instance setting it in the Dune settings to bitstreaming and 7.1 ?

That's a good question, and that is a matter of taste. In my opinion it sound better to bitstream and let the AVR do the decoding. I've played several movies that have HD sound, and to me it sounds better.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #76 of 81 Old 07-10-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That's a good question, and that is a matter of taste. In my opinion it sound better to bitstream and let the AVR do the decoding. I've played several movies that have HD sound, and to me it sounds better.

But isn't in my case the Dune also doing some decoding in a way since for 7.1 movies it is now set to 5.1 (meaning Dune will do some downsampling from 7.1 to 5.1 audio) before it is bitstreamed to my AVR ?

post #77 of 81 Old 07-10-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, if I set the Dune to PCM my receiver doesnt show DTS HD MASTER. It only show HDMI Passthrough. If I set the Dune to bitstream my receiver shows DTS HD MASTER.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #78 of 81 Old 07-10-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

I understand that part Gus, thats why I selected bitstream in the first place.
My question is more about the 7.1 or 5.1 part and if I should let Dune downsample this (or let the AVR downsample it and change the Dune setting to 7.1 - although my speaker setup is only 5.1)

post #79 of 81 Old 07-10-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand that part Gus, thats why I selected bitstream in the first place.
My question is more about the 7.1 or 5.1 part and if I should let Dune downsample this (or let the AVR downsample it and change the Dune setting to 7.1 - although my speaker setup is only 5.1)

Ok, I see what you are saying. I would just let the AVR do all the work.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #80 of 81 Old 07-11-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ok, I see what you are saying. I would just let the AVR do all the work.

Ok, thanks.
That would mean in my case setting the Dune to 7.1 in the audio settings, right ?

post #81 of 81 Old 07-11-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, thanks.
That would mean in my case setting the Dune to 7.1 in the audio settings, right ?

That's correct.

Home Theater Set Up:

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page