Network Attached DVR plus STBs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-02-2012, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a cablecard DVR (or other DVR that can record all digital cable channels, if something like that exists) that can be accessed over a network by set top boxes. The HDHomerun Prime looks like a good solution, except it is mainly geared towards HTPCs as the "clients". I am looking for something that I can use without PCs in the mix, where all of the recordings and everything is centrally managed and universally accessible. Hopefully, I could use something fairly inexpensive as the set top box (like a Roku).

It looks like the Ceton q and Ceton echo might do this, but they don't exist yet, and the echo looks like it is going to be quite pricey.

Does something like this exist? Or does the DRM on premium channels prevent it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-03-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
You can use Xbox 360s as clients, but they're noisy, relatively expensive, and streaming services like Netflix require an Xbox live gold subscription. Even worse, the Xbox 360s have limited codec/container support and can't handle high bit rate 1080p content, so you probably won't be able to play your movie collection without transcoding. There are no other windows media center clients currently available. You also currently need a PC to manage the cable card.

It sounds like the ceton q and echo will do exactly what you want. Also, afaik, the price of the echo has not been announced. If I were you, I would be patient and wait until these products are available.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-04-2012, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Keep an eye on TiVo. A set top box replacement is due later this year and coupled with a 4 tuner Premiere Elite should do what you want.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-04-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 208
The Q is the dvr, the Echo is the extender. The only pricing alluded to is that the Echo will be cheaper than an Xbox.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page