DLNA Problem? Panny VT50 Series TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-06-2012, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a brand new Panasonic TC-P65VT50, my first internet capable TV. I'm pretty tech savvy in general, but this is my first venture into multimedia streaming and such.

My computer is a Dell 630i (2.4 GHz QuadCore CPU, Windows Vista Home, 64-bit, 6gb RAM), Gigabit connection to a fairly new Cisco E4200 Router. I was able to easily enable network access on my TV using the 5GHz band on the Router, and a strong signal is shown on the TV.

I installed the free Serviio on my Computer, added a folder of .mt2s HD Video files I created from an HD Camcorder, and am able to easily access them when I go into the DLNA menu of my TV. I can then select and play any of the videos, and they display beautifully, with the full Dolby stereo I encoded when I created them (Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0).

The problem is that these videos will play flawlessly, without any stutter whatsoever, but only for about 3 to 5 minutes or so. They then start to stutter, freeze, etc. This seems to happen pretty consistently each time I've tried it: perfect at first, then breaking down after a short period of time.

As far as I can see, the signal strength remains good. The question is what is slowing things down? Which is the weakest link in the chain that's breaking down?

Is it more likely to be Serviio, the DLNA capability of the TV, or something else? I'm not inclined to think it's a basic connectivity issue, as the signal strength is quite good, and the TV is perhaps 18 feet away from the Router (I'd have to run cable under the crawlspace to get to it, which I imagine I could do if that's where the problem is).

Any suggestions appreciated, or at least how I can troubleshoot this, and track down where the problem is.

Or if there's a better way to connect the TV and Computer, other than DLNA, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-06-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Welcome to the crazy world of digital media streaming!

First of all, DLNA is absolutely horrible for video streaming. You are much better off purchasing a dedicated media streamer such as one made by Dune or Popcorn Hour. They sit on the network between your audio/video products and your computer. They provide a much better user interface, a reliable experience and greater flexiblility for a relatively low cost investment.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-06-2012, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Welcome to the crazy world of digital media streaming!
First of all, DLNA is absolutely horrible for video streaming. You are much better off purchasing a dedicated media streamer such as one made by Dune or Popcorn Hour. They sit on the network between your audio/video products and your computer. They provide a much better user interface, a reliable experience and greater flexiblility for a relatively low cost investment.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

It looks like this would cost another $300+ and for my limited purposes, I'm not sure I want to go there yet. I just want to stream the occasional home video, look at photos (which it does fine), listen to some music (which so far it also does fine), etc.

So if possible I'd like to stick with DLNA for now, if there are some tweaks or software options that would get this working better. Or if hardwiring ethernet to the TV (either directly, or possibly with a Netgear AV200 powerline approach, which I'm successfully using elsewhere in the home) would fix this, that would also be a possibility.

Are you reasonably confident that it's the DLNA technology itself that is responsible for the problem I'm having? Would a server other than Serviio do any better?

Thanks again.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-06-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.
It looks like this would cost another $300+ and for my limited purposes, I'm not sure I want to go there yet. I just want to stream the occasional home video, look at photos (which it does fine), listen to some music (which so far it also does fine), etc.
So if possible I'd like to stick with DLNA for now, if there are some tweaks or software options that would get this working better. Or if hardwiring ethernet to the TV (either directly, or possibly with a Netgear AV200 powerline approach, which I'm successfully using elsewhere in the home) would fix this, that would also be a possibility.
Are you reasonably confident that it's the DLNA technology itself that is responsible for the problem I'm having? Would a server other than Serviio do any better?
Thanks again.

Wireless is horribly unreliable for streaming high quality video. It doesn't matter if it's 450 mbps 5 Ghz wireless N and the router is sitting a foot from your TV. I would try ethernet. That being sad, DLNA is a bit wonky, and I've never really had success with it.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-06-2012, 08:44 AM

Liked: 11
Yeah first thing I'd try is wire the TV directly with a physical ethernet cable. If it works perfectly then the problem is wireless (which sucks for high bitrate video). If that's the issue then you need to either do wired, or use a more reliable solution like AV500 (not 200) powerline, or MOCA.

If you get the same stuttering with wired Ethernet then you need to consider things like DLNA sucking (which it does but more for lack of supporting a wide range of formats and everybody's implementations being slightly different)
post #6 of 6 Old 06-06-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies - I guess I'll just get a length of ethernet cable to begin with, wire directly, see what happens, and go from there.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page