post #91 of 235 Old 07-23-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraZtiK View Post

Well don't buy one....I'm really interested in this but like to wait for the "guinea pigs" to work out any bugs before I purchase one ( I almost bought one last night). The fact that there's potential for XBMC, the cost, and all the android apps makes it extremely tempting for me. I can't count on one hand all the media players out there that were ready for "prime time" from the get-go, so lets not knock this just yet. I think the ATV3 is useless, but I don't seek out the threads and bash it....It sounds like this box is not for you.
To aasoror, thanks for all the leg work!

I won't buy one. Of course an XBMC low cost box is what would be very nice. But in my opinion at this time there isn't one. One is better off with a low cost HTPC. Now, that may very well change within a few months.

This isn't an issue for it not being ready for prime time. This is basically alpha hardware and software at best.

Of course this is not the box for me. I have XBMC boxes and I don't like junk.

Quite a few people have bought them and there are reviews on the vendor sites. Have a look at them. Almost everyone recognizes it as underpowered, poor wifi, has trouble playing HD stuf and on and on.

You can't compare this with the ATV3. The ATV3 is not for everyone but the specs are out there and people know what it can and can't do.

philip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 235 Old 07-23-2012, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

pmcd, you might have wanted to declare that position before getting me to spend my time hunting around to answer your inquires.
There is a very fine line between constructive criticism and mere trolling, I would watch out. rolleyes.gif
post #93 of 235 Old 07-23-2012, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

pmcd, you might have wanted to declare that position before getting me to spend my time hunting around to answer your inquires.
There is a very fine line between constructive criticism and mere trolling, I would watch out. rolleyes.gif

I am genuinely interested in this type of box. I have media players coming out of my ears so anything new is appealing, especially since you made it sound interesting. I asked a few questions. Heck if you are offended by that I am sorry. A lot of people have asked me stuff and I have never been offended if they decided a product I was describing wasn't for them. As for trolling, I have no intention of watching out. I've never, ever even come close to that. I get it that you are keen on this type of product. That opens you up to questions. That is what this place is for.

Philip
post #94 of 235 Old 07-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

You don't need to use both remote, the XIOS Sense is supposed to mimic "touch controls" so there is no "scrolling" instead you are supposed to "swipe down/up" to do so just press ok while moving the mouse up/down.
True about the missing shutdown button, but the XIOS is not an IR remote so a shutdown button wouldn't have worked to powerup the box any way, to power down the XIOS I use this widget: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cz.destil.fixbrokenpb
and to reboot the box I use this widget: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.schreinerDev.rebootwidget

Thank you for your post, I must have spazzed out when I tried it the first time. It takes a little getting use to,to get it right.

I guess I don't understand the second part of your post. My IR remote turns the XIOS DS on/off, the same as if it were powering up. I realize the IR power on/off is not the same as a reboot, but just the same it does power on/off.

I wil have to take a look at the wigets, thank you.

post #95 of 235 Old 07-25-2012, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

My IR remote turns the XIOS DS on/off, the same as if it were powering up. I realize the IR power on/off is not the same as a reboot, but just the same it does power on/off.
I wil have to take a look at the wigets, thank you.

I meant to say because the Sense (unlike the stock remote) is not an IR remote so a "power" button would have only been able to "turn off" the box (since it would be interpreted by the running OS) but once the box shuts down the Sense wouldn't have been able to "power up" the box again (because you need an IR remote to do that).

I use the "widgets" from the two apps I linked above to "turn off" and "reboot" the box right from the OS (using the Sense or any other pointing device) without a need for the stock IR remote.
post #96 of 235 Old 07-31-2012, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The official Pivos XBMC Alpha build is out ..
http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=847

XIOS-DS is now on the logitech harmony database.
post #97 of 235 Old 08-01-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

overview .. (current build is more recent than the demoed one and included mouse support).

Wifi issue fix
http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=874
post #98 of 235 Old 08-02-2012, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

The official Pivos XBMC Alpha build is out ..
http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=847
]

The Pivos XBMC Alpha build is streaming 1080p nicely on a $90 f16ref VISSON MBX V2 Amlogic-8726M3 Cortex A9, CPU Max 1.2GHz box from ebay.
XBMC skins are working as are some of the video add ins and it is quite snappy. Very pleased indeed for an Alpha build.

This is the best development I have seen in a while of looking at various incarnations of media players. This will put a lot of the expensive media boxes to shame.
post #99 of 235 Old 08-02-2012, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslydog View Post

This is the best development I have seen in a while of looking at various incarnations of media players. This will put a lot of the expensive media boxes to shame.
Don't expect much if people started a trend in not buying the Pivos hardware for the XBMC port wink.gif they are out to make money at the end of the day. Support them by buying their hardware (at least for those who don't already have compatible hardware) so they can keep the aggressive support for the project (they have full time developers doing nothing but working on an open source, freely distributed, project)
post #100 of 235 Old 08-02-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:

Don't expect much if people started a trend in not buying the Pivos hardware for the XBMC port wink.gif they are out to make money at the end of the day. Support them by buying their hardware (at least for those who don't already have compatible hardware) so they can keep the aggressive support for the project (they have full time developers doing nothing but working on an open source, freely distributed, project)

I understand what you are saying, but it is hard for someone like myself to buy something that doesn't work yet. Specially when it doesn't do two things that I and my famaily use 1) HD sound and 2) ISO files. The forced subs I can live without as long as I can turn them on manually.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #101 of 235 Old 08-02-2012, 08:59 AM

I ordered the WD TV Live and cancelled it yesterday after seeing seeing the notification for the alpha build of XIOS and am planning to wait. For me ISO file support is not that important. However multi-channel support (at least 5.1) with scraping support are the must have feature. I waiting on the Vizio too to see how they deliver on local content streaming.
post #102 of 235 Old 08-02-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousikb View Post

I ordered the WD TV Live and cancelled it yesterday after seeing seeing the notification for the alpha build of XIOS and am planning to wait. For me ISO file support is not that important. However multi-channel support (at least 5.1) with scraping support are the must have feature. I waiting on the Vizio too to see how they deliver on local content streaming.

ISO DVD is now supported on XBMC and the XIOS.
Additionally developers confirmed the AC3 5.1 now works on XBMC (but I haven't had the chance to verify yet).
post #103 of 235 Old 08-02-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I understand what you are saying, but it is hard for someone like myself to buy something that doesn't work yet. Specially when it doesn't do two things that I and my famaily use 1) HD sound and 2) ISO files. The forced subs I can live without as long as I can turn them on manually.

You do have a point, but I was referring to the case where people are set on buying other hardware to run XBMC (which would have the same limitations) because its cheaper (or relatively better spec'ed)
post #104 of 235 Old 08-04-2012, 10:39 AM

Liked: 10
Does xios work as a NAS drive like the aios?
post #105 of 235 Old 08-04-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcalero View Post

Does xios work as a NAS drive like the aios?

Well, it comes with an ftp server out of the box and you can install a Samba server on it as well.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funkyfresh.samba&hl=en

That said, I would doubt the performance would be satisfactory, even for the AIOS, I would get a NAS if you are interested in anything more than "once in a while" access for NAS functionalities.

By the way, for those in Canada, you can get the XIOS for $95 from MemoryExpress by PM'ing the $100 current sale price @ NCIX.
post #106 of 235 Old 08-07-2012, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

DTS/DD/DTS-MA Core passthrough is supported by the latest GB firmware.
Just go to Settings -> Display -> Audio -> RAW.
post #107 of 235 Old 08-07-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

DTS/DD/DTS-MA Core passthrough is supported by the latest GB firmware.
Just go to Settings -> Display -> Audio -> RAW.

Now the device just got a little more interesting. Any word on TRUE-HD, what about AAC will it output multichannel pcm for it?
post #108 of 235 Old 08-07-2012, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'd say for the dozen discs that have True HD that it's really a moot point. biggrin.gif
post #109 of 235 Old 08-07-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post

I'd say for the dozen discs that have True HD that it's really a moot point. biggrin.gif

A lot of the orginal bluray discs from 2009 and such had truehd. So while now almost all are dts-hd now there is still more then a dozen with truehd. to be exact there is about 858 discs that had truehd no where near the 3125 of dts-hd but still a good chunk. and yes some of them do overlap and have been released with both audio tracks
post #110 of 235 Old 08-07-2012, 02:18 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

We need to make up our mind....First we want a box that can do it all and then additional features are almost useless? While you may not feel a feature is useful I'll bet there are some that will feel this is a welcomed addition. I think it is a step in the right direction for all.
post #111 of 235 Old 08-07-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraZtiK View Post

We need to make up our mind....First we want a box that can do it all and then additional features are almost useless? While you may not feel a feature is useful I'll bet there are some that will feel this is a welcomed addition. I think it is a step in the right direction for all.

Apparently I hit on a nerve or something, Lol? I'd welcome True HD as well but since HD audio was never even eluded to for this box to begin with, only DD/DTS, that makes DTS-MA a bonus for this player in my book. Apparently that's still not good enough though, we have to dwell on the fact that it doesn't do something else that wasn't promised. I think Halfelite was just trying to find out if there was more to come, and to be quite honest I was just poking fun hence the grin. (Yes I knew there was more than a dozen, I wasn't being literal.)

I know Aasoror said he had a very unforgiving crowd in his circles and now I see what he means....sheesh.
post #112 of 235 Old 08-07-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Apparently I hit on a nerve or something, Lol? I'd welcome True HD as well but since HD audio was never even eluded to for this box to begin with, only DD/DTS, that makes DTS-MA a bonus for this player in my book. Apparently that's still not good enough though, we have to dwell on the fact that it doesn't do something else that wasn't promised. I think Halfelite was just trying to find out if there was more to come, and to be quite honest I was just poking fun hence the grin. (Yes I knew there was more than a dozen, I wasn't being literal.)
I know Aasoror said he had a very unforgiving crowd in his circles and now I see what he means....sheesh.

Yes if it did have truehd it would be a nice well rounded box and not so much a smart tv box for android apps and such. If they do add truehd it would be a considerable buy then.
post #113 of 235 Old 08-07-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

Now the device just got a little more interesting. Any word on TRUE-HD, what about AAC will it output multichannel pcm for it?

Here is the issue with TRUE-HD, unlike DTS-MA there is no "mandatory" 5.1 lossy track (core) that is embedded with every DTS-MA track out there (this is what the XIOS passes when set to RAW output). My sample didn't have one (if you guys have a sample that has a core track for me to test test pass it on).

So currently True-HD is stereo downmixed (PCM).

Will check AAC and report back.
post #114 of 235 Old 08-07-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:

Here is the issue with TRUE-HD, unlike DTS-MA there is no "mandatory" 5.1 lossy track (core) that is embedded with every DTS-MA track out there (this is what the XIOS passes when set to RAW output). My sample didn't have one (if you guys have a sample that has a core track for me to test test pass it on).
So currently True-HD is stereo downmixed (PCM).
Will check AAC and report back.

Ahhhh, I somehow missed the core passthrough...still a bonus in my opinion.
post #115 of 235 Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 AM

Liked: 11
So what are the 1080p mkv file limits on the XIOS? If it can play a full uncompressed 1080p bluray rips over smb without stuttering then I will buy one to try out. This is my minimum requirement since both Dune and Popcorn hour can both do this.
post #116 of 235 Old 08-08-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemage View Post

So what are the 1080p mkv file limits on the XIOS? If it can play a full uncompressed 1080p bluray rips over smb without stuttering then I will buy one to try out. This is my minimum requirement since both Dune and Popcorn hour can both do this.
MKV has lower envelope than m2ts (due to compression involved), check my review in the second post for an idea about the 1080p rips that worked and the ones on which the box suffers with.

Things got significantly better with XBMC running natively on the box, but unreasonably high bitrate MKVs are still a no go.
post #117 of 235 Old 08-11-2012, 03:34 AM

Is the Cortex CPU single or dual core?
post #118 of 235 Old 08-11-2012, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyknight View Post

Is the Cortex CPU single or dual core?
ARM Cortex A9 (Single Core).
post #119 of 235 Old 08-12-2012, 04:04 PM

Hello,

I am really intersted by this device but I am not sure the sense remore works well, what I would like to do with it is :

- Stream videos out of my computer (no 1080p stuff, just regular 720p files
- browse the internet (more precisely be able to watch flash videos)

Would this device be able to handle it properly ? I am also wondering about the wifi in it that doesn't seem to be quite stable

I was initaly thinking about buying a boxee box but it is cheaper and looks more versatile (because of android).

Would I be better off buying a boxee box ?
post #120 of 235 Old 08-12-2012, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemage View Post

The 1.2Ghz is noticeably faster than either the 800MHz or 1GHz chips. this is where Pivos need to head to. They need ot go at least 1.5GHz in their next build.

http://www.vissontech.net/sdp/1914004/4/pd-6513094/10542672-2487821/Google_Android_4_0_HDTV_Cortex_A9_1_2GHz_WiFi_Full.html
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Pivos Ultra Slim Xios Ds Hd Wi Fi Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page