Pivos XIOS-DS Media Play! : The *Semiofficial* Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 235 Old 01-10-2013, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered one of these to be a streamer for my wife's craft room. It's good to see one of these players with constant updates.

I was thinking of replacing my livingroom HTPC with one but the only sticking point for me is does either the android or linux XBMC port support bitstreaming? DTS Master? AC3? DTS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 235 Old 01-10-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TType85 View Post

does either the android or linux XBMC port support bitstreaming? DTS Master? AC3? DTS?
Both will do pass AC3/DTS, no HD audio (yet).
post #183 of 235 Old 01-10-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post

Both will do pass AC3/DTS, no HD audio (yet).

Dang, guess I stick with my HTPC in the living room for now.

Has the android version caught up to be as good as the linux one yet or do you recommend going with the linux version?
post #184 of 235 Old 01-10-2013, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TType85 View Post

Dang, guess I stick with my HTPC in the living room for now.

Has the android version caught up to be as good as the linux one yet or do you recommend going with the linux version?

Well its a trade off, the latest ICS release is pretty staple compared to prior ones.
That said it will always remain the case that running natively (linux) is better than running on top of Android.
post #185 of 235 Old 01-24-2013, 05:55 PM

Hey i was wandering if you could help, im looking at setting up a media centre i was looking at the pivos and the atv1200 which would be better is the atv1200 better at playing 1080p because of the dual core.

I've got a few TB's of tv shows movies and cartoons cheers thanks a lot smile.gif
post #186 of 235 Old 01-30-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

XBMC updates (Frodo)

xios-xbmc.png

xios-xbmc-android.png
post #187 of 235 Old 02-05-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkkent View Post

Hey i was wandering if you could help, im looking at setting up a media centre i was looking at the pivos and the atv1200 which would be better is the atv1200 better at playing 1080p because of the dual core.

I've got a few TB's of tv shows movies and cartoons cheers thanks a lot smile.gif

The number of cores has no effect on hardware acceleration. There are no official hardware accelerated XBMC builds for the ATV1200. If you only care about android, get the ATV. If you want XBMC, especially running on Linux, get the Xios.
post #188 of 235 Old 02-08-2013, 01:54 PM

Liked: 12
Is anybody here actually using it? I'd love to see some discussion about performance/bugs. I was thinking of getting one but it's not available at Amazon which means returning it will be a PITA if it's still a buggy mess.
post #189 of 235 Old 02-08-2013, 05:11 PM

Liked: 11
I just got one and I can say the WAF is super high. It's tiny it run XBMC really well. The TV series and DVD rips all play wonderfully over my CAT5E. The only thing I am struggling with right now is my BluRay 1080p 1:1 rips. I have a post over on the Pivos forums, so I am just waiting for some suggestions, because it sounds like it works for most people. I know the experts are all busy, so I am being patient, although it is killing me, because I am really excited about this thing - mainly because the wife loves it, especially if it plays her BluRays.
post #190 of 235 Old 02-08-2013, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvarisco View Post

Is anybody here actually using it? I'd love to see some discussion about performance/bugs. I was thinking of getting one but it's not available at Amazon which means returning it will be a PITA if it's still a buggy mess.
Its available on Amazon, Pivos store fulfilled by Amazon (assuming you mean the XIOS) but its has run dry last week (same for newegg)

Both should be restocking soon.
post #191 of 235 Old 02-10-2013, 06:02 AM

Is this a support thread as well, or strictly just a thread to talk about it?

Could use some help, but don't want to clutter the thread if it's not for that here.
post #192 of 235 Old 02-13-2013, 07:28 AM

I went ahead and got one of these. Immediately installed linux XBMC on it.

My inital impressions are good, with a few huge caveats. First, I don't care about a ton of "high-end" features - my collection is almost all compressed rips with no HD audio, and I've been using a Neo 550 with almost no issues since they launched - so keep all that in mind. Compared to the average poster here, I'm pretty easy to please.

First off, the remote is total jank. I have a harmony, so no big deal to me. The box gets quite warm during use, and I'm a bit concerned about overheating but I have nothing to back up that worry yet.

I immediately installed the Jan. 29th linux XBMC image (the latest one on Pivos' site), which was painless, except for having to dig up a SDcard (my unit didn't offer to install from a USB device).

My initial impressions are pretty good. The unit is very responsive and the UI is faster than my NeoTV550. During library updates it slows down significantly but it's still quite usable. The audio choices were a little confusing at first, but that's because the install automatically assumes it's going to be putting out audio over HDMI, so instead of selecting audio output you simply choose what your receiver can handle. I didn't check about HD audio passthrough, but as mentioned I don't really care about that. Otherwise it's pretty much XMBC and all that it entails. I installed a couple "official" add-ons with no issue.

No problems with playback on any of my formats, including a bluray .iso structure. No buffering issues that I can see, but my media collection is all compressed formats (no 1:1 BR rips).

My big issue right now is the box just doesn't seem stable. Over the course of the night I had at least 5 hardlocks/reboots. Two were from trying to use Airplay, which worked great for about a song then quit working, and the others were during media playback. Additionally, I saw what looked like some playback stutter - every ~5 minutes or so I'd see some sort of stutter. I don't know if it's 3:2 pulldown or a display timing artifact, but it was quite noticeable.

At this point I'm on the fence. $120 for a full functioning XMBC setup is really nice, but it's still beta-quality stability. I'm going to figure out how to grab the one of the recent nightly builds and see if they've fixed the hardlocks, but if not I'd have to say it goes back.
post #193 of 235 Old 02-22-2013, 01:09 PM

Well, doesn't seem that anybody really cares about this thing, but in any event, mine has been packed up for return. It's so close, but it's been worked on for 6+ months and there's still some basic playback issues. The "stable" linux release would lock up occasionally on playback, I got frame "jumping". A few nighties fixed the playback problem but then introduced audio dropouts.
post #194 of 235 Old 02-22-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvarisco View Post

Well, doesn't seem that anybody really cares about this thing, but in any event, mine has been packed up for return. It's so close, but it's been worked on for 6+ months and there's still some basic playback issues. The "stable" linux release would lock up occasionally on playback, I got frame "jumping". A few nighties fixed the playback problem but then introduced audio dropouts.

If you haven't already sent it you might want to try the latest nightly, been getting very positive feedback about it.
post #195 of 235 Old 04-03-2013, 11:16 AM

I see there haven't been any posts to this thread in a while, but in case anyone is interested...

I have the newer M3 version h/w Pivos Xios which I purchased about 2 weeks ago. I was looking to upgrade my older Popcorn hour streamer which has served faithfully for many years.

I ran the installed Anroid OS for about 30 mins, and ditched it for the Linux distribution. I also update with the latest "nightlies" pretty frequently, so I tend to play with the latest updates.

I am very impressed. Here are some observations:

1) This box seamlessly merges my four (4) USB attached drives into one huge 8Tb library.
2) Interface is very quick (except for about 1.5 seconds) to load the video library (containing over 1000 titles). HOWEVER - you must install a SD card and move the "user data" to that location
3) Stock remote is crap. Download the XBMC IOS app on your iphone (really awesome) or program up a harmony or other Universal Remote (like my MX800)
4) Playback is perfect at 720p, but I have an issue with my B&K processor syncing at 1080p that has not been resolved yet. Not tested at 1080p yet, but my 1080p mkvs are playing fine.
5) Excellent support from Pivos through the support forum.
6) Samba Server can be installed (manually) to share all USB attached drives. This makes the Xios look like a NAS.
7) I particularly like the XBMC's ability to grab Bluray/DVD cover art, movie descriptions, actors and then Jump out to You Tube to play the movie trailers.
8) Great base of users that exchange ideas and hacks on the pivos forum.

Anyway... just thought someone might be interested. Best $99 I've spent lately.

That's not a bug, it's a feature!
post #196 of 235 Old 04-30-2013, 10:34 PM

Liked: 15
great review thank you. Do you have any updates on HD video quality? I am contemplating purchasing this. One other question is do you know if it can do HD audio pass through for my receiver to decode I thought I read that they were working on it in old posts but was curious.

post #197 of 235 Old 04-30-2013, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kweisen View Post

great review thank you. Do you have any updates on HD video quality? I am contemplating purchasing this. One other question is do you know if it can do HD audio pass through for my receiver to decode I thought I read that they were working on it in old posts but was curious.
Why should there be updates on the video playback quality ?! HD playback has been HD out of the box since day one wink.gif
For HD-Audio passthrough, not yet, only 5.1 AC3/DTS downmix/core from HD-Audio tracks is currently supported.
post #198 of 235 Old 05-01-2013, 09:54 AM

Liked: 15
Thank you for the response. My HD comment was referring to his personal experience with it sense he said he hasint watched HD content. Thank you also for the update on HD audio hopefully they will figure it out soon bc Im going to order one in the next week biggrin.gif

post #199 of 235 Old 05-01-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweisen View Post

Thank you for the response. My HD comment was referring to his personal experience with it sense he said he hasint watched HD content. Thank you also for the update on HD audio hopefully they will figure it out soon bc Im going to order one in the next week biggrin.gif

I thought the reason why the HD audio isn't supported is due to hardware. If it is a hardware issue then the HD audio support will never be fixed.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #200 of 235 Old 05-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I thought the reason why the HD audio isn't supported is due to hardware. If it is a hardware issue then the HD audio support will never be fixed.

Never underestimate the coding wizard Davilla, if there's one reason why the XIOS is better than any PCH/Dune/WDTV box is because he's working on it. That said it is a waiting game but I'm certain they will get there eventually.

I would go out on a limb and say that Pivos were probably still feeling their way through whats possible on the Amlogic chipset that powers it when that original comment was made, this isn't some turnkey solution from Sigma Designs but something being built from scratch software wise.
post #201 of 235 Old 05-01-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

Never underestimate the coding wizard Davilla, if there's one reason why the XIOS is better than any PCH/Dune/WDTV box is because he's working on it. That said it is a waiting game but I'm certain they will get there eventually.

I would go out on a limb and say that Pivos were probably still feeling their way through whats possible on the Amlogic chipset that powers it when that original comment was made, this isn't some turnkey solution from Sigma Designs but something being built from scratch software wise.

I supposed everyone entitle to their opinion, but the Xios isn't even close to be in the same league as Dune, PCH or even the WDTV.

How long has it been since the Xios came out, and it still can't play HD sound probably due to licensing or hardware or both. In my honest opinion, I don't think Xios will ever play HD sound. If it was possible, it would of happened already.

I think Dune will come out with their new media player, which will support XBMC before the Xios can support HD sound even if it is possoble.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #202 of 235 Old 05-01-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think Dune will come out with their new media player, which will support XBMC before the Xios can support HD sound even if it is possoble.

Will it be a sub $100 box too ?! wink.gif

HD-Audio was never promised to start with so no sweat should be broken over it.

Just like 24p (which was never promised either) it turned out to be supported by the hardware, its an issue of amlogic supplying proper drivers and getting the proper license (so its on the list, but the list is long wink.gif ).
post #203 of 235 Old 05-01-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Will it be a sub $100 box too ?! wink.gif

HD-Audio was never promised to start with so no sweat should be broken over it.

Just like 24p (which was never promised either) it turned out to be supported by the hardware, its an issue of amlogic supplying proper drivers and getting the proper license (so its on the list, but the list is long wink.gif ).

None of the top media players are sub $100. That's why you pay a premium for them. The Dune TV303D is $200 dollars, which has an excellent Jukebox and support HD sound. Again, you get what you pay for.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #204 of 235 Old 05-01-2013, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

None of the top media players are sub $100. That's why you pay a premium for them. The Dune TV303D is $200 dollars, which has an excellent Jukebox and support HD sound. Again, you get what you pay for.

Why all the hate ?! Its not rocket science that a $200 box should outperform a $100 box, the more interesting metric is the cost/feature.

Don't you see the gape being filled by a sub $100 XBMC box ?! HD audio support without an AVR is a money down the drain ... how many actual consumers has an AVR per each TV in their household ?! (not to mention an HD-Audio capable one) ?

A $200 for a jukebox + HD-audio is a $100 loss for someone who has no use for HD-Audio if there is a $100 device that has an equally capable (if not better) jukebox. If you are not familiar with the XBMC presentation might want to check the windows/linux version, the presentation on the XIOS is similar.

To each his own, but I wouldn't consider ANY $300 SoC based device a viable option when one can build an x86-64 full fledged HTPC with a similar footprint for comparable if not less money (but thats me).
post #205 of 235 Old 05-01-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why all the hate ?! Its not rocket science that a $200 box should outperform a $100 box, the more interesting metric is the cost/feature.

Don't you see the gape being filled by a sub $100 XBMC box ?! HD audio support without an AVR is a money down the drain ... how many actual consumers has an AVR per each TV in their household ?! (not to mention an HD-Audio capable one) ?

A $200 for a jukebox + HD-audio is a $100 loss for someone who has no use for HD-Audio if there is a $100 device that has an equally capable (if not better) jukebox. If you are not familiar with the XBMC presentation might want to check the windows/linux version, the presentation on the XIOS is similar.

To each his own, but I wouldn't consider ANY $300 SoC based device a viable option when one can build an x86-64 full fledged HTPC with a similar footprint for comparable if not less money (but thats me).

I've used HTPC and many other media players, and I kept going back to the Dune + Zappiti jukebox because my kids and wife like it, and it's easy to maintain.

I do agree that the Xios is more suitable for people without a home theater system that supports HD sound.

Again you can't compare the Xios to Dune, PCH, Mede8er not even WDTV. The only thing the Xios got going is support of XBMC. If it didn't have that no one would consider buying it.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #206 of 235 Old 05-01-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Again you can't compare the Xios to Dune, PCH, Mede8er not even WDTV.
I "could" give you Dune and PCH. Mede8er and WDTV on the other hand ?! man these SoCs are comparable to the AIOS and PBO, XIOS presentation blows all of this out of the water (speaking of WAF) and btw WDTV (live streaming) can't do DTS-MA (the last time I checked).

Have you recently used the XIOS ? load up XBMC on your PC and try some of the lightweight skins.

This how the XIOS used to work back in January (there is currently over 4 months of tweaks, features and bug fixes on top of that) and just one aspect of the XBMC (local file playback) :

Quote:
The only thing the Xios got going is support of XBMC. If it didn't have that no one would consider buying it.

What else were you expecting ? the device is made for XBMC wink.gif (almost all initial XMBC-Android development and all XBMC-ARM-Linux development was done exclusively on the XIOS) it can't cook dinner (well it can do eggs if you turn it upside down and use the heat-sink as a griddle)
post #207 of 235 Old 05-01-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Again you can't compare the Xios to Dune, PCH, Mede8er or WDTV, which can at least decode True HD, and the new one appears to play DTS-MA.

I'm glad that we agree on two things. 1- Xios will never decode HD sound and 2- Xios isn't suitable for HT that support HD sound.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #208 of 235 Old 05-01-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Again you can't compare the Xios to Dune, PCH, Mede8er or WDTV, which can at least decode True HD, and the new one appears to play DTS-MA.

I'm glad that we agree on two things. 1- Xios will never decode HD sound and 2- Xios isn't suitable for HT that support HD sound.

Man why are you putting words on my mouth ?! smile.gif there is no need to do that, I am still not sure whether or not you are even familiar with the product in discussion, regardless you decided to vote against it for whatever reason you may have, you are entitled your own opinion any way.

I didn't say XIOS will NEVER decode HD sound, thats what you are just assuming, and is simply "baseless", the hardware does support it, its an issue of proper drivers and licensing (and a priority queue with other pending features and bug fixes).

So to sum up and stick to the facts, XIOS doesn't do HD-Audio .. thats a fact. WDTV live streamer is the latest iteration of WDTV doesn't (and according to WD wont ever be able to do) DTS-MA .. thats a fact. Dune doesn't have an XBMC based product .. thats a fact as well (I would disregard their CES 2013 $600 intel based "Dune Max HD 3D" till it hits the streets, but I already feel for the poor souls who are going to shell out such sum).

I guess I don't have much to add here (not fruitful any way),

Have a good one GusGus smile.gif
post #209 of 235 Old 05-01-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

No problem. It appears I hit a nerve. I just don't understand how can Alx330 say that the Xios is better than Dune or PCH. Somehow you got into, but it's all good. Once the Xios can compete with the too media players let me know.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #210 of 235 Old 05-02-2013, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
XBMC Linux on the XIOS is actually really nice. I moved to a win 8 NUC for XBMC but I can see the appeal of the XIOS, especially for the price. Don't know much about Dune except for the lack of Mac support, few places to buy it and pricing. Prefer the PCH family though both Dune and PCH seem to have a bleak future given the inability to secure premium streaming rights.

philip
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Pivos Ultra Slim Xios Ds Hd Wi Fi Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page