post #211 of 235 Old 05-02-2013, 02:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

XBMC Linux on the XIOS is actually really nice. I moved to a win 8 NUC for XBMC but I can see the appeal of the XIOS, especially for the price. Don't know much about Dune except for the lack of Mac support, few places to buy it and pricing. Prefer the PCH family though both Dune and PCH seem to have a bleak future given the inability to secure premium streaming rights.

philip

Inability to secure premium streaming rights? Dune, PCH and Mede8er are media players for streaming your ripped movies and TV shows. They aren't going to include Netflix, Hulu, amazon, ect. That's why you get a roku box or a HTPC. Dune, PCH and Mede8er have been in business for a while. I don't see them going out of business any time soon.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 235 Old 05-07-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22

New ICS update ..

Fixed netflix playback
Fixed full screen issue with Android player (M3 only)
Fixed HDMI issues on PHILIPS TVs.
Fixed h264 stall
Fixed deinterlacing (M3 only)
Fixed VPN support
Fix Google Playstore update crash (M3 only)
Added support for automatic update
Added support to USB UVC webcams.
Added support for ATH3K BT adapters (M3 only)
Added USB game controller support
Set default input device to remote control
Increased user accessible storage by 512MB (M3 only)
Reassigned LEDs (M3 only)
Changed mouse pointer
post #213 of 235 Old 05-10-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

XBMC updates (051013)

xios-xbmc.png

xios-xbmc-android.png
post #214 of 235 Old 05-11-2013, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, I hadn't checked back since my post a few weeks ago, but I can see that this thread has some new life.

FIrst, I'd like to say that my 1080p playback issues have been resolved in the May 1 build. To be clear, I run the linux XBMC version NOT the Android version. Lack of 1080p was my biggest complaint so with that gone, this box is a winner to be sure.

Seems like a tread like this will always bring out fanboys of "this or that". I can't comment on Dune.... but I've owned several PCH's and other streamers. They all have their pros and cons. PCH was a pioneer in the streamer market and I have recommended many of these devices to friends and family. Recently they have fallen short on getting stable product to the market. I considered Dune products many times, but always felt there were better choices for the money.

I have quite the taste for [reasonably] high end electronics. Revel Ultimata speakers, Sim Audio Amplification, B&K processor, JVC RS2 projector (to list a few or my toys). I appreciate the good stuff. My room is acoustically treated and I am a pretty good non-professional evaluator of sound and picture. I will say without reservation, the Xios DS is the best $100 I have ever spent on A/V gear.

To the credit of (excuse the spelling) Aasoror, Devilla, Toys4me, etc - the Xios Linux XBMC box is nothing short a $100 marvel. DTS-MA, would be nice, but is not a deal killer by any means. To me, being able to locally attach 20TB of USB storage and play at 1080p is all I want from this device. As a benefit, I can connect just about any upnp renderer throughout my home (except for the PCH A100, but come on folks - that thing is ancient) and play any video or audio file!

Pivos is doing a great job with the product. I don't see spending $200 or $300 for any other product currently on the market would make any sense to me. My biggest current complaint is the cheap remote control it comes with, but hey.... I use the XBMC remote on IOS (Iphone) most of the time anyway. I also use my harmony and/or HTC MX750 remotes as well. Other than that... it would be nice if it looked (on the outside) like and expensive piece of HT gear, but I could always transfer the guts into a $500 aluminum case to "feel good"....
aasoror likes this.

That's not a bug, it's a feature!
post #215 of 235 Old 05-13-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'm on the fence about trying out the XIOS. Assuming Android, do 1080p BD rips play fine over wired SMB or NFS? If Linux, how much better is the operation (UI navigation, playback, etc.). Re: set-up, I had a quick look at aasoror's guide here, but do I need to hunt other to-do's (like moving user data to SD card I think I read is needed for large local movie/TV library), and how to manually install add-ons (like a PC via a USB stick)?

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #216 of 235 Old 05-13-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzag666 View Post

I will say without reservation, the Xios DS is the best $100 I have ever spent on A/V gear.
Thanks for the feedback zigzag smile.gif
post #217 of 235 Old 05-13-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

I'm on the fence about trying out the XIOS. Assuming Android, do 1080p BD rips play fine over wired SMB or NFS? If Linux, how much better is the operation (UI navigation, playback, etc.). Re: set-up, I had a quick look at aasoror's guide here, but do I need to hunt other to-do's (like moving user data to SD card I think I read is needed for large local movie/TV library), and how to manually install add-ons (like a PC via a USB stick)?

As the guide mentions, copying your data is already handled by the firmware at boot time if it finds xbmc-data folder in the root of your msdcard.

Linux is always couple of notches above Android (due to the overhead of Android), if you are not interested in what Android brings to the table (Playstore) then just stick to Linux.
1080p is rather a generic term, it depends on your actual rip (you can check the YT for demos showing different encoding profiles being played back on the XIOS-XBMC).

Re: addons, its no different than XBMC on any other platform (you can install addons from: repos, local files or from LAN shares).
post #218 of 235 Old 05-16-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Lowest Canadian price ever:

PM NCIX $85 at ME for $76.25

ME $120
NCIX $85

Maple-Leaf-RDP.jpg
post #219 of 235 Old 05-17-2013, 04:28 PM

Liked: 10

Im trying to find a cheap but good remote with up/down/left/right Ok and BACK buttons .I also dont need keyboard combo or air/motion sensor.

I have heared harmony remotes work on Pivos but does any body knows if harmony 200 will work on linux version of Pivos? are there any others.??

post #220 of 235 Old 05-17-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoldman5 View Post

Im trying to find a cheap but good remote with up/down/left/right Ok and BACK buttons .I also dont need keyboard combo or air/motion sensor.
I have heared harmony remotes work on Pivos but does any body knows if harmony 200 will work on linux version of Pivos? are there any others.??
All harmony remotes will work with XIOS XBMC-Linux out of the box.
goodoldman5 likes this.
post #221 of 235 Old 05-22-2013, 11:30 PM

I have XIOS with the 05072013 update (build number m3-20130504-86b1691), however I cannot get VPN functionality with Foxy Proxy to work properly. Any tricks? It works OK on my laptop. I have also tried ExpressVPN on my Android XIOS and it seems to work OK.
post #222 of 235 Old 05-23-2013, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Something happen to Pivos forums aasoror ? Cloudfare page pops up stating DNS Resolution Error.
post #223 of 235 Old 05-23-2013, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

Something happen to Pivos forums aasoror ? Cloudfare page pops up stating DNS Resolution Error.
Not sure, but I guess it is resolved now.
post #224 of 235 Old 05-23-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijstokes View Post

I have XIOS with the 05072013 update (build number m3-20130504-86b1691), however I cannot get VPN functionality with Foxy Proxy to work properly. Any tricks? It works OK on my laptop. I have also tried ExpressVPN on my Android XIOS and it seems to work OK.

This might help you, read here:
http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3394&start=40#p32100
post #225 of 235 Old 06-14-2013, 08:23 AM

Hi Guys, I believe this is the correct thread. If not, please re-direct me? Thx.

I have a Pivos Xios (M1) flashed with Linux and loaded with XBMC FRODO version. My issue is where to load the temp fix for 180Upload (as per mash2k3). I have the updated file and I know the path, but I do not know how to put that file onto the linux box. Do I need special software? Etc...

Appreciate all the help I get. Thanks
post #226 of 235 Old 06-14-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuppyRider View Post

Hi Guys, I believe this is the correct thread. If not, please re-direct me? Thx.

I have a Pivos Xios (M1) flashed with Linux and loaded with XBMC FRODO version. My issue is where to load the temp fix for 180Upload (as per mash2k3). I have the updated file and I know the path, but I do not know how to put that file onto the linux box. Do I need special software? Etc...

Appreciate all the help I get. Thanks

You mean you want to access the XIOS file system remotely ?
post #227 of 235 Old 06-14-2013, 10:52 AM

Hi aasoror, Yes I just want to move a file to the pivos box. I thought I would have to physically attach the pivos to my laptop, but I see I just have to connect via IP address. As it's not firmware I'll be loading, I guess I would not need to reboot. The plugin file (and I guess all the files are kept on the sd card??) that I need to update is the 180upload.py. Can you confirm that the location would be as follows?

~/.xbmc/addons/script.module.urlresolver/lib/urlresolver/plugins

Will give it a go when I get home this evening from work.

Thanks.

BTW, I saw your handle user id on the pivos website but wasn't too sure if I should have asked the question there.

duppy
post #228 of 235 Old 06-14-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi aasoror, Yes I just want to move a file to the pivos box. I thought I would have to physically attach the pivos to my laptop, but I see I just have to connect via IP address. As it's not firmware I'll be loading, I guess I would not need to reboot. The plugin file (and I guess all the files are kept on the sd card??) that I need to update is the 180upload.py. Can you confirm that the location would be as follows?

~/.xbmc/addons/script.module.urlresolver/lib/urlresolver/plugins

Will give it a go when I get home this evening from work.

Thanks.

BTW, I saw your handle user id on the pivos website but wasn't too sure if I should have asked the question there.

duppy

If its an addon file you want to change and you have redirected your userdata to the mSD card (using the xbmc-data folder feature) then you just need to shutdown the box, disconnect the mSD card and plug it in your PC then put the file in the addons folder (somewhere under xbmc-data)
post #229 of 235 Old 06-14-2013, 11:26 AM

Oh ok, that sounds simple enough. Will do and post a reply of how it went later tonight. Thanks again.
post #230 of 235 Old 06-14-2013, 04:16 PM

Hi aasoror, that worked! So simple and here I was thinking it was more complicated. Thank you so much.

It's sites like this and people like you that make this hobby so enjoyable!!

Much appreciated.
post #231 of 235 Old 06-14-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi aasoror, that worked! So simple and here I was thinking it was more complicated. Thank you so much.

It's sites like this and people like you that make this hobby so enjoyable!!

Much appreciated.

No problem DuppyRider smile.gif
post #232 of 235 Old 10-08-2013, 12:34 PM

Looks like it's been a while for activity on this thread, but I am receiving one of these boxes today and I'm pretty excited it will fit the bill. I have been using jailbroken ATV 2 to use XBMC and since the wife and kids are used to that format, I wanted to stick with XBMC when we got a new TV. I tried out a WDTV Live and it just wouldn't work for us as far as TV shows go. All the TV we watch is streamed from the computer and we have XBMC set to hide watched shows so we know what's been watched and I don't have to delete files from the computer. So XBMC has been great in that regard.

I bought a new ATV so that we would have Netflix and all the other online channels, but we needed something to get XBMC for the movies and TV shows stored on the home computer. Though I'm sure having 2 different devices will not be the most ideal, I think my wife and kids will have a much smaller learning curve in managing the new devices. If this setup works out, I am contemplating selling my 2 jailbroken ATV2s and purchasing more new ATVs and Pivos XIOS boxes for the TVs. I have not been able to update the ATVs for some time because of jailbreak and several channels like ESPN, HBO, and the Disney channels have been added to the ATV lineup.

This thread has been very informative for me. Can any of you with experience with my particular setup speak to how things will change? If navigating between 2 different inputs on my TV is the only difference in performance I will be very happy.
post #233 of 235 Old 12-13-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I am having issues with the on board virtual keyboard not working. I can press Done but that is it. No way to navigate through the keyboard it is unresponsive. I am using the newest M3 software on Linux. This has happened twice and I did a whole reinstall to make it work last time and I have a lot of data. Any ideal? Is this a software issue or hardware? I have used this for a week without issues after the first glitch.
post #234 of 235 Old 12-14-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I saw mention that there's a new XIOS coming out. when is that suppose to be and how do we know the difference between the new one and the old one? They'll both be called XIOS?
post #235 of 235 Old 12-14-2013, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Pivos Ultra Slim Xios Ds Hd Wi Fi Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page