Netgear rangemax only allows DYNDNS, a paid for DNS service - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-10-2012, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i'm trying to configure my netgear rangemax DG384PN router for dynamic DNS so i can access my humax foxsat hdr when away from home.

unfortunately the netgear only allows support for DYNDNS which is no longer a free service. I can't justfy paying for this and signed up for FREEDNS but i can't configure to it.

i think i can use software on my pc but i believe that meand leaving a pc running all the time.

do i have any options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-22-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin777 View Post

i'm trying to configure my netgear rangemax DG384PN router for dynamic DNS so i can access my humax foxsat hdr when away from home.
unfortunately the netgear only allows support for DYNDNS which is no longer a free service. I can't justfy paying for this and signed up for FREEDNS but i can't configure to it.
i think i can use software on my pc but i believe that meand leaving a pc running all the time.
do i have any options?

Are you sure about DynDns? I still don't pay for it. They offer more than one type of service.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-22-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

certain:

http://dyn.com/dns/

if you know otherwise, please let me know!
post #4 of 8 Old 06-22-2012, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It is a common misconception that DYNDNS can only be used as a paid service. According to their own web site:

Quote:
When the trial ends

After the 14 day trial, you will be charged our low yearly fee of just $20 a year (or sign up for five years and get 10% off!) to keep your DynDNS Pro service. Only valid major credit cards (not PayPal) are accepted for DynDNS Pro trials.

Decide you no longer want the DynDNS Pro trial? Just cancel your DynDNS Pro trial within 14 days and you will not be charged. You may keep one hostname free of charge for trying out the DynDNS Pro trial.

Go back and read the web site for this pleasant surprise.

*For those aware of my issue concerning being unable to see, let alone use, edit controls --- I manually added the codes to quote and boldface. Still sucks and don't know why yet.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-23-2012, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

thanks - i'll give it a try.
there seems to be a lot of confusion over this. not too keen on having to log in every month to keep the service. it's not the hassle that worries me - after all it is a free service - but its the hassle caused if you don't do it in time and the account is cancelled. i've been in and out of hospital over the last couple of years and i can't guarentee ill be able to log in every month.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-23-2012, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
If not a trusted family member of friend to do it while you are hospitalized then maybe an automatic log on application that can be scheduled like http://www.logonexpert.com/?

The non-choice of DNS is a common complaint over on Netgear Forum. I figure Netgear has some financial arrangement with DYNDNS and that is why it is the only choice. I don't know if it's compatible with your router, but check out Tomato or dd-wrt in order to gain functionality you want that your router's original firmware does not supply.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-23-2012, 11:06 PM

Liked: 32
What are you trying to accomplish by logging into your local network? You can use Teamviewer, if all you are doing is wanting to check on stuff., or watch stuff recorded on your htpc. There is also of course Slingbox, if you want to watch stuff from your home tv service.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-13-2013, 11:11 AM

Liked: 10
Simple solution, don't buy a netgear router and tell all of your friends not to buy one.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page