Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 06-13-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hey Guys,
I am investigating a HDMI splitter (not switch) to send the HDMI output signal from my HTPC to two different setups, one in a living room, and one in a bedroom. The issue seems to be the ones sold my monoprice for example, will do this but being one of my Tv's is only 720p and the other 1080p, it will downconvert both signals to the highest resolution accepted by both displays (720p in my case).

This will not be ideal and my poor living room TV will not get the best possible signal.

Thoughts on a solution or other product? I need to keep the cost reasonable as well, no extravagant $400 splitter:)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-13-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Hi Merrymaid,

I don't believe that the splitter is doing the down-conversion. I suspect that the HDMI handshake is taking place between your HTPC and the displays, and the HTPC is selecting 720p, based on the results of the handshake. Converting from 1080p to 720p is not a trivial operation, and could not be economically performed by a splitter.

I don't know of any simple solution. Depending on your software, two separate HDMI outputs may be required. There isn't any way to get both 1080p and 720p through one HDMI port a the same time.
post #3 of 21 Old 06-13-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Hi Merrymaid,
I don't believe that the splitter is doing the down-conversion. I suspect that the HDMI handshake is taking place between your HTPC and the displays, and the HTPC is selecting 720p, based on the results of the handshake. Converting from 1080p to 720p is not a trivial operation, and could not be economically performed by a splitter.
I don't know of any simple solution. Depending on your software, two separate HDMI outputs may be required. There isn't any way to get both 1080p and 720p through one HDMI port a the same time.

Thanks for responding Mark!
You are right, the splitter probably has nothing to do with the down converting What I thought was odd is that the HTPC chooses the lower resolution even if the one TV (720p) is off?. If this is the case, I would probably need a second output, which is probably not going to happen:(
post #4 of 21 Old 06-13-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

. . . What I thought was odd is that the HTPC chooses the lower resolution even if the one TV (720p) is off?
Now that is odd. I was going to suggest turning off the 720p TV, but thought you had probably tried that.

Do you think the splitter might remember? Or maybe the the HDMI handshake takes place in the 720p TV even when it is off? (HDMI provides its own 5v through the cable. Also, the TV might leave the HDMI circuitry active when it is off.) What happens if you unplug the HDMI cable from the 720p TV? Or unplug the TV from the wall?
post #5 of 21 Old 06-13-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Quote:

. . . What I thought was odd is that the HTPC chooses the lower resolution even if the one TV (720p) is off?
Now that is odd. I was going to suggest turning off the 720p TV, but thought you had probably tried that.

Do you think the splitter might remember? Or maybe the the HDMI handshake takes place in the 720p TV even when it is off? (HDMI provides its own 5v through the cable. Also, the TV might leave the HDMI circuitry active when it is off.) What happens if you unplug the HDMI cable from the 720p TV? Or unplug the TV from the wall?

the bolded part... the htpc is still seeing the 720p display as a valid sink...

sadly, this is not terribly uncommon...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 21 Old 06-13-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I do not own a splitter yet nor have I tried connecting two sources. I was told this by the folks at monoprice and reading various other material. From my understanding the TV can be on/off but the handshake still finds the 720p capable display....as ccotenj pointed out.

I was told in another forum to try a HDMI detective by Gefen which keeps the EDID set at 1080p for both displays. I also confirmed my cheaper 720p plasma does accept a 1080p signal, this is crucial!
post #7 of 21 Old 06-13-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj 
the bolded part... the htpc is still seeing the 720p display as a valid sink...
Thanks, Chris. That is good to know.
Quote:

I was told in another forum to try a HDMI detective by Gefen which keeps the EDID set at 1080p for both displays. I also confirmed my cheaper 720p plasma does accept a 1080p signal, this is crucial!
That's sound advice, and should work, since your 720p TV can down-convert from 1080p. It's not a cheap alternative, but appears pretty solid.
post #8 of 21 Old 06-13-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

well....

if your 720p can accept a 1080p signal, then you should be fine with just a plain jane splitter, as it will broadcast in it's edid info that a 1080p signal is "ok"....

if it will only accept a 1080i signal, otoh....

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 21 Old 06-13-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

well....
if your 720p can accept a 1080p signal, then you should be fine with just a plain jane splitter, as it will broadcast in it's edid info that a 1080p signal is "ok"....
if it will only accept a 1080i signal, otoh....

Chris,
You may be on to something! When I spoke to the monoprice guy about a standard splitter I only mentioned my TV was 720p not that it accepted 1080p, maybe I will reach out to them again and see what they say. I'm using two panny plasmas, ones a 58" 1080p while the other is a 42" 720p (and I checked the panny website to confirm it accepts 1080p).

I will report back.
post #10 of 21 Old 06-13-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I spoke to monoprice again just now and here is what he though:

He thinks because the TV primarily is 720p (even though it truly accepts a 1080p signal) that during the extra handshake from the spiltter, it may send 720p out anyway?

What do you guys think?
He admits that it could work the other way too.......decisions decisions...
post #11 of 21 Old 06-13-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

hmmm... the native resolution of the display should not matter... as long as the edid info says "i can take 1080p", it should be good... how the sink subsequently handles the signal is unknown to the source, so it can't care at that point...

i think it's worth trying the "regular" switch...

- chris

post #12 of 21 Old 06-13-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

hmmm... the native resolution of the display should not matter... as long as the edid info says "i can take 1080p", it should be good...
I agree, as long as the EDID data is correct. However, manufacturers have been known to screw-up EDID information. If the ability to decode 1080p into 720p was a feature added after the TV's original release, I could see the EDID info being out of date.

But it should be easy to test. Hook the 720p TV up to the HTPC and see what happens. Either the TV or the PC should be able to tell you what is flowing down the pipe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj 
i think it's worth trying the "regular" switch...
Yes, and I suspect Monoprice will accept the return if it doesn't work.
post #13 of 21 Old 06-14-2012, 03:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

manufacturers screw up edid information???? like that ever happens.... tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

you make a good point there... with edid, the adage "trust but verify" certainly comes to mind...

yea, mono is real good about returns... i've never heard of anyone having issues with them on that, and "we at avs" certainly send enough buyers in their direction... if there were issues, we'd know about it... no one EVER hesitates to complain most mightily on the internets... wink.gif

- chris

post #14 of 21 Old 06-14-2012, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. I will probably snag one of the Monoprice splitters this week and hope that it works correctly for my situation. Its only money right:p
post #15 of 21 Old 06-21-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update:

The monoprice splitter came and all works just fine. My 42" plasma obviously accepts the 1080p signal so all is well!

Thanks again guys.
post #16 of 21 Old 06-21-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

cool! always a nice thing when the "cheaper" solution works... smile.gif

thanks for reporting back...

- chris

post #17 of 21 Old 06-21-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

Update:
The monoprice splitter came and all works just fine. My 42" plasma obviously accepts the 1080p signal so all is well!
Thanks again guys.

I have the same sort of configuration, a Panasonic X24 50" plasma with a native resolution of 720p but it accepts 1080p, 1080i and 720p according to the specs. I also own the Panasonic AR100U 1080p projector. I bought the Monoprice powered splitter to feed both the HDTV and projector at the same time even though both are located in the same room. The HDMI output from my Denon 2309CI AVR goes into the splitter before going to each device. At first i thought I would only get the lowest common denominator 720p but found when I checked the HDTV and projector each was getting 1080p at the same time. So much like you I was happy with the Monoprice splitter.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #18 of 21 Old 06-21-2012, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Update:

Thanks again guys.

Which monoprice splitter model worked for you?
post #19 of 21 Old 06-21-2012, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWind View Post

Which monoprice splitter model worked for you?

Mono price product # 7522 1x2 pro 3d splitter
post #20 of 21 Old 06-22-2012, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks. . Fwiw > I tried to do something similar, but different, a while back. My older AV receiver only passes 1080i. Using a previous version of the Monoprice 1X2 PRO Series Powered HDMI® SPLITTER # 7522, I split the HDMI out from a Blu-Ray player; connected one directly to my 1080p TV (for the video) and connected the 2nd to the AVR (for the audio). Seemed so simple, but HDCP kept messing me up. Sometimes video but no audio; sometimes audio but no video; the best result was the occasional 1080i with audio, but that was precisely the situation that I was trying to resolve.
post #21 of 21 Old 03-13-2013, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Hi. Bumping this thread to see if anyone else had found a workable solution. I am using Monorpice splitter 8154 (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8154&seq=1&format=2) and having handshake problems. I have a 1080p plasma in the living room and a 720p LCD in the bedroom that the splitter is feeding. The setup is Xfinity X1 -> splitter -> LCD for one output, and splitter -> Integra 9.8 -> plasma for the other. Once every couple of days the living room tv connected to the Integra won't lock on to the HDMI signal. A quick power cycle of the splitter fixes this, but it almost always drops my resolution to 720p.

Are there any workarounds to this? I'm tempted to use this an excuse to upgrade the bedroom set to a larger 1080 LCD, but figured I'd ask here first. Many thanks for any suggestions!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page