Looking for a streamer up to $150? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Moshe1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello.

I was reading for the past couple of hours about Roku, Boxee Box, WD TV, Apple TV, etc. - and couldn't get to a conclusion.

I mainly need ISO, MKV and netflix support. In addition, I would like a full support of my 5.1 surround system.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Moshe1010 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
canton160's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK & Portugal
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe1010 View Post

Hello.
I was reading for the past couple of hours about Roku, Boxee Box, WD TV, Apple TV, etc. - and couldn't get to a conclusion.
I mainly need ISO, MKV and netflix support. In addition, I would like a full support of my 5.1 surround system.
Any suggestions?
Thank you.

you need a media player with chip realtek 1186, and remember chose bug free like the micca EP950 or EP600 g2 and will support ISO 3D also, for 120$ in amazon its hard to beat that.

edit: no netflix support

regards
canton

Portuguese Blog & Forum Discussion about Audio & Video
Visit our Blog & Forum CinemaHIFI.PT
Like cinemahifi on Facebook
canton160 is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 07:16 AM
 
streamerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe1010 View Post

Hello.
I was reading for the past couple of hours about Roku, Boxee Box, WD TV, Apple TV, etc. - and couldn't get to a conclusion.
I mainly need ISO, MKV and netflix support. In addition, I would like a full support of my 5.1 surround system.
Any suggestions?
Thank you.
You really need to be very very specific about what you want/need in a media player for accurate suggestions. do you need/want Blu Ray ISO or just DVD ISO. Do you HAVE to have netflix?
Do you want/need HD audio?
the more information you give us the better our suggestions will be.
You can ignore Canton160 as he is the love child for the Micca players which, according to him are all perfect, and do everything but make him breakfast. He is a bit biased...biggrin.gif
streamerlover is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brajesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 5,921
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I'd start with Gus' thread here.

If you don't need frame-packed 3D Blu-ray ISO support, but need hd audio, then I'd recommend PopBox v8. It's one of the few players under $150 that supports a full jukebox (movie wall with metadata) via YAMJ/Eversion. It requires some work to set-up however. The other is AIOS Media Center with its semiofficial firmware, but it's a little more kludgy to set-up. Neither of them have Netflix. If you need Netflix, then WD Live Streaming player, which supports its own (somewhat limited) jukebox and passes Dolby TrueHD fine, but not DTS-MA, which it passes the core only to your receiver. There's also the Netgear NTV550, which is quite buggy, but has a bit of a cult following. It's under $90, supports a limited jukebox, does hd audio and even full Blu-ray menus. There's a dedicated thread for it.

If you need frame-packed 3D, then either Micca's EP600 G2 or EP950 as Canton suggested. They also do hd audio, but neither do Netflix nor support a real jukebox. But, you don't need a 1186 (Realtek) player, unless 3D is a must.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Brajesh is online now  
post #5 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
b_scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I need a box that streams full BD backup MKV's with HD Audio bitstreaming, from a Synology NAS.

Boxee has been disappointing me. I'm willing to pay over $150 but not willing to build a PC - has to be user friendly for the wife acceptance factor.

Don't care about any streaming services like netflix.

GO!
b_scott is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Moshe1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the suggestions.
Just to clarify what I need:
I need Blu-ray ISO
Netflix is a must
I don't need 3D

So I guess the WD TV Live would be the best option?

Thanks.
Moshe1010 is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Member
 
ajgoyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
NO - WD TV Live cannot play BluRay ISO



From there site..........

File Formats Supported
Video - AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9, FLV (h.264)
Photo - JPEG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG
Audio - MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS
Playlist - PLS, M3U, WPL
Subtitle - SRT, ASS, SSA, SUB, SMI

Note:
MPEG2 MP@HL up to 1920x1080p24, 1920x1080i30 or 1280x720p60 resolution.
MPEG4.2 ASP@L5 up to 1280x720p30 resolution and no support for global motion compensation.
WMV9/VC-1 MP@HL up to 1280x720p60 or 1920x1080p24 resolution. VC-1 AP@L3 up to 1920x1080i30, 1920x1080p24 or 1280x720p60 resolution.
H.264 BP@L3 up to 720x480p30 or 720x576p25 resolution.
H.264 MP@L4.1 and HP@4.1 up to 1920x1080p24, 1920x1080i30, or 1280x720p60 resolution.
An audio receiver is required for multi-channel surround sound digital output.
Compressed RGB JPEG formats only and progressive JPEG up to 2048x2048.
Single layer TIFF files only.
Uncompressed BMP only.
For details, please refer to the user manual.

File Formats Not Supported
Does not support protected premium content such as movies or music from the iTunes Store, Movielink, Amazon Unbox, and Vongo

Vincent Hanna: "It keeps me sharp on the edge where I gotta be."
ajgoyt is online now  
post #8 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brajesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 5,921
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 68
For < $150, yes a WD TV Live Streaming or used/refurb Boxee Box. Both if you don't need hd audio, as one only supports TrueHD and other has drop-outs.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Brajesh is online now  
post #9 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Moshe1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgoyt View Post

NO - WD TV Live cannot play BluRay ISO
From there site..........
File Formats Supported
Video - AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9, FLV (h.264)
Photo - JPEG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG
Audio - MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS
Playlist - PLS, M3U, WPL
Subtitle - SRT, ASS, SSA, SUB, SMI
Note:
MPEG2 MP@HL up to 1920x1080p24, 1920x1080i30 or 1280x720p60 resolution.
MPEG4.2 ASP@L5 up to 1280x720p30 resolution and no support for global motion compensation.
WMV9/VC-1 MP@HL up to 1280x720p60 or 1920x1080p24 resolution. VC-1 AP@L3 up to 1920x1080i30, 1920x1080p24 or 1280x720p60 resolution.
H.264 BP@L3 up to 720x480p30 or 720x576p25 resolution.
H.264 MP@L4.1 and HP@4.1 up to 1920x1080p24, 1920x1080i30, or 1280x720p60 resolution.
An audio receiver is required for multi-channel surround sound digital output.
Compressed RGB JPEG formats only and progressive JPEG up to 2048x2048.
Single layer TIFF files only.
Uncompressed BMP only.
For details, please refer to the user manual.

File Formats Not Supported
Does not support protected premium content such as movies or music from the iTunes Store, Movielink, Amazon Unbox, and Vongo

I don't have many Blu-ray ISOs ,and I have an HTPC connected to another TV in my house, so I can play ISOs there [it just would be more convenient for me to play ISOs in both Tvs]. I bought the WD, let's see what it's all about.
Thanks for your help guys.
Moshe1010 is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 59
if netflix is a must you need a two box solution, the roku for netflix and online streaming then a media player like the v8 or something else.
halfelite is online now  
post #11 of 14 Old 06-17-2012, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Moshe1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got the WD Live Streaming. It works very well, except for its Wi-Fi built in adapter that is really weak in terms of its signal. I have a repeater and a router in my house, a laptop next to the device gets 100% download speed, but Netflix movies are buffering once in a while. Any suggestions?
Moshe1010 is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 06-17-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GusGus748s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Visalia, CA 93291
Posts: 6,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
I did an inexpensive media player thread!
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1411963/budget-media-players

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

 

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

GusGus748s is online now  
post #13 of 14 Old 06-17-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GusGus748s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Visalia, CA 93291
Posts: 6,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

You really need to be very very specific about what you want/need in a media player for accurate suggestions. do you need/want Blu Ray ISO or just DVD ISO. Do you HAVE to have netflix?
Do you want/need HD audio?
the more information you give us the better our suggestions will be.
You can ignore Canton160 as he is the love child for the Micca players which, according to him are all perfect, and do everything but make him breakfast. He is a bit biased...biggrin.gif

I agree. The new Micca players with the 1186 chips are good on paper, but everyone have different issues with it, with the exception of Canton160. They reason why I haven't bought a Micca is because they've got bugs once they fix them I might reconsider buying one.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

 

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

GusGus748s is online now  
post #14 of 14 Old 06-17-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GusGus748s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Visalia, CA 93291
Posts: 6,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe1010 View Post

I got the WD Live Streaming. It works very well, except for its Wi-Fi built in adapter that is really weak in terms of its signal. I have a repeater and a router in my house, a laptop next to the device gets 100% download speed, but Netflix movies are buffering once in a while. Any suggestions?

I bought my parents a WDTV2, and they can play netflix and Vudud HDX movies via wireless without any issues, and the router is approximately 40 feet away in another bedroom / office.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

 

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

GusGus748s is online now  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off