Digital Media Player with optical/hdmi output - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-18-2012, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I'm looking for a digital music media that has an optical output and also supports FLAC files.

I am currently using an Onkyo 809. I use a Xoom and a 3.5 mm to rca (Belkin) cable to connect the Xoom to the receiver.

I would like to spend less than $150

Also, is there another home set-up that will provide me with great sound quality. I am just afraid that the Xoom degrades the sound quality. Thanks

I think I will just use a Dune 301 or Western Digital WD TV Live Streaming device(from PC to device), since they both support FLAC and have digital outs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-18-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Pretty much all the media players in this thread have optical out. I am not sure if all of them support flack.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1411963/budget-media-players

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 06-18-2012, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Gus, I found your thread invaluable. Any comments on the Dunes? The Dune HD 101 seems to be a budget streamer. Thanks
post #4 of 5 Old 06-18-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowyahoo View Post

Thanks Gus, I found your thread invaluable. Any comments on the Dunes? The Dune HD 101 seems to be a budget streamer. Thanks

I own a Dune D1, and a PCH-A210 currently. I used to own the AIOS, Mede8er Med500X2 and a PCH-A300. They all played all of my media, but they also had some little things that my family didn't like. So, I ended up selling them.

The Dunes are solid media players, but I do not have any experience with the Dune TV Series. I know that Damian / dbone1026 is currently testing the Dune TV301.

However, the only two things I see wrong with the 101 is:
1) No support for BD ISO's.
2) No support for HD sound.
3) I have head that the remote control isn't as responsive, and it needs a clear a direct line of sight for it to respond. However, I am not sure if this is true or not.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

Home Theater Set Up:

post #5 of 5 Old 06-18-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. The only issue I have with the 301 is the lack of HD sound, it plays MKV files and FLAC (which is what I need). This would have been be perfect for me if it support HD sound. Nonetheless, it is only $130. I will probably buy the WD TV Live Streaming device, since it is cheaper. Thanks again, Gus, you have been awesome.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page