Local Media Player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-20-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've read and read, and gotten more and more confused. I am looking for a good, reliable, easy to use media player for my local media. I won't be streaming online. I will be hooking this up to a matrix switch that plays in a home theater and around the house. Do i need Boxee, Dune, Popcorn, other? I have a Mac Mini that i was running Plex off of at our old house, but now that the rack is stored in the basement, the bluetooth keyboard won't work for the Mac. Maybe there is a solution for this, i just don't know it. Help please. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-20-2012, 09:55 AM

Liked: 10
Build an HTPC? Assassin has great guides for this. He has his free version, that i linked to, and then for $25 you get full access. Best $25 I've spent.

Don't make fun of me for my stupid questions!
post #3 of 6 Old 06-21-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstaff3 View Post

I've read and read, and gotten more and more confused. I am looking for a good, reliable, easy to use media player for my local media. I won't be streaming online. I will be hooking this up to a matrix switch that plays in a home theater and around the house. Do i need Boxee, Dune, Popcorn, other? I have a Mac Mini that i was running Plex off of at our old house, but now that the rack is stored in the basement, the bluetooth keyboard won't work for the Mac. Maybe there is a solution for this, i just don't know it. Help please. Thank you.

Plex on the Mini is great. It doesn't need the keyboard. Just use Remote Buddy, but of course you have to have an ir signal. You can also use an iDevice as a keyboard/mouse over your network so that would take care of that issue (line of sight).

I would not bother building an HTPC just yet when you've got a great one already (the Mini).

If you want to run the Plex server on the Mini and you need a Plex client then there is the Roku and a new LG SP820 media player (about to arrive). The Roku client is excellent and it is very inexpensive.

If you aren't into Plex then you might want to look into the PCH A300 or Boxee Box. As far as Dune is concerned it is supposed to be good, but there are issues including their odd price increase, state of Blu-ray licensing and what happens with copy protection. Moreover, you could almost get another Mini for what they want. I guess it depends on how committed you are to Blu-ray.

Philip
post #4 of 6 Old 06-21-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 601
If you are going for price alone, I would suggest the PCH-A300. If you want something easy to set up with a nice Jukebox I would recommend the Dune. However, I agree 100% that their price increased is ridiculous. I would also suggest the Mede8er MED500X2 or 450X2.

I just got a PCH-A210 to replace my AIOS (the AIOS is pretty awesome for the price as well), and I've installed the YAMJ / AEON jukebox and its pretty good. The only issue I had was the YAMJ didn't scrap the correct information for about 10 movies. I was able to fix this by making NFO files. So, overall I am pretty happy with the PCH-A210....oh and I do not get any lost sound like I used to with the PCH-A300.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #5 of 6 Old 06-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
An HTPC will do it but don't bother paying for any guide. 10mins of google searching will get you a soild do it all HTPC spec list.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-21-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
That is not true. I have an Integra dhc-80.3 and cannot find an hdmi on a motherboard that can get the correct edid from it. Please show me this google search you speak of.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page