Help With Connecting To Receive Netflix - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-20-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Pardon my ignorance and hopefully I’m posting in the proper forum.

I need some advice regarding receiving Netflix movies on my TV. I am considering getting Netflix but not yet signed up.
I am in the process of receiving a Sony KDL 46EX640, it is WiFi ready and has a Ethernet connection.
I don’t want to use WiFi.

Here is what I wish to do, kindly advise what if any additional equipment I will need and how to hook it up.

My TV will be in the bedroom on the 2nd floor, my computer is in the basement. I do NOT want to be connected to my computer at all. I have Cablevision Internet service that uses a Motorola SB5100 SURFboard cable modem.
I would like to purchase the same or better modem and have near the bedroom TV, connected by a splitter.

I don’t think by plugging it in the modems Ethernet out to the TV’s Ethernet in that this would work, surely something additional is needed.
How would I hook this up and not involving my computer, is this is at all possible?
Any suggestions on buying a better modem so I don’t have freezing problems.

Here are some specs on the TV:
Sony Entertainment Network
Experience the endless entertainment of the Sony Entertainment Network, where thousands of movies, TV shows, online videos, games and music are always at your fingertips. By connecting to the Internet you can access Full HD 1080p entertainment, 3D content and made-for-TV apps like Netflix, Pandora, YouTube, Facebook and more.

Thank You in advance for any assistance offered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-20-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25

As far as I know you cannot have two cable modems for the same service.  The TV that you are considering does in fact connect directly up to the internet and has a Netflix app available.  Yes it is that easy these days smile.gif  You do not need to involve your computer at all.  Anyway what you need is a ethernet connection in your bedroom.

You will need to run an ethernet cable from wherever the cable modem/router is to your bedroom.  If this is not easy for you to do and you do not want to hire someone to do it for you then you have several options.

One is to use a powerline adapter like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=powerline+adapter

They convert ethernet to work over your existing A/C wiring.

or a MOCA convertor like these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006555&isNodeId=1&Description=moca

These boxes convert the ethernet to work over your existing coax and is basically what you were thinking of doing with the additional cable modem.

EDIT:

Your cable modem does not have a multiple port switch inside it.  I would call your cable company and request a cable modem that includes a 4 port switch.  Otherwise you will also have to buy an additional ethernet switch as well.

Hope this helps!

Laters,

Jeff

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...
My HT Construction Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
My 2.35:1 Discussion Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
XBL = eqshadimar
post #3 of 8 Old 06-21-2012, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Jeff,
Thank you very much for the information and links.

Running a ethernet cable from the modem in the basement to the 2nd floor bedroom would be very difficult to do because of the house's configuration. I am handy, years back I rewired the house with RG6 cable, routing a ethernet cable would be a chore and something I want to avoid.

Two more questions if you don't mind.

1- If my cable company (Cablevision with Optimum Service) DOES NOT offer a modem with a 4 port switch, can I buy one that does. Can any brand be used or must it be a Motorola that is compatible with Cablevision service?.

2- Is there any loss of signal when using a powerline adapter?
post #4 of 8 Old 06-21-2012, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Update,

Just called Cablevision and was informed they don't have multi port modems and i CANNOT buy one to use with their system,
I was told if I bought a router it will allow me to have more than one IP addresses, the modem I have only permits one even if split.

For the price they charge for internet service this is quite a disappointment.

For my TV to work as intended, I will need to buy a router and the powerline adapter.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-21-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25

Sounds like you have a plan then.  Just remember that you will need two powerline adapters, one at each end.  Your setup will be:

Cable modem -> router WAN port via ethernet cable -> router switch port -> powerline adapter via ethernet cable -> A/C wiring -> powerline adapter -> TV via ethernet cable

Yes there is some signal loss with the powerline adapters so you definitely want to get one of the newer ones with the higher speed rating, although for Netflix it probably will not matter that much.

Let us know how it all works out.

Laters,

Jeff

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...
My HT Construction Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
My 2.35:1 Discussion Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
XBL = eqshadimar
post #6 of 8 Old 06-21-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Jeff,
Thanks to you I now know how to set the system up.

I did more research on Netflix streaming video and was not happy with what I read.
I was hoping new releases would be available via internet but that doesn't seem to be the case.

My wife is the one who watches all the movies and she belonged to Blockbuster. They now closed the stores near us. The plan she had was two DVD's unlimited rentals and no set return restriction, she usually got 9 per week.
Now her only option is the Redbox kiosks. Problem with them is DVD's must be returned by 9PM the following day.

I might have to put this video via internet on hold and discuss our minimal options.

I do appreciate your time and education you provided.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-21-2012, 09:02 PM

Liked: 32
You will be fine with Netflix, since the most that it will stream, is about 6mbps. Powerline will work fine for it. Lots of people use Powerline ethernet, or Wifi Bridges and have not had problems.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-21-2012, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 83
When you sign up for Netflix you get a free month, plenty of time for your wife to determine if it fits her/your needs.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page