Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Howdy to this incredible Forum!

We have just stumbled upon what appears to be a pretty decent Player:
Code:
http://www.ebluetimes.com/en/ProductView.asp?ID=235&SortID=195

Curiously, we can't find any reviews at all (perhaps it is too new). Has anyone had any experience with these (we also saw an earlier model using Realtek 1185 chip)?
Has anyone had any experience with this company? This player looks to be a very nice build quality and we are very interested. If they perform as well as they appear,
we would need to get a quantity for our needs. Of course we will have to test one first. Presently we can't find any sellers from the US for these.

We only see these being sold on ebay (but the only ones we found there are the 1185 players).

Any information would be hugely appreciated! Thanks very much for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-21-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
I've never heard of that company before. However, all the Realtek 1186 players are pretty much the same. If I was you I would waited out a little longer and wait for the ones that will come out with XBMC and dual OS.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old 06-22-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Nice retro design however. Although most Realtek 1186 players are about the same, there are some crucial differences. For example, Xtreamer's Prodigy and Sidewinder 3 have built-in jukebox, but don't support choosing which playlist to play via their BD-lite menu. This is a problem for 'Toy Story' 3D BDs and 'Cars 2' BD as the Spanish credits playlist plays by default. You can choose playlists with Micca EP600G2 and EP950, as well as HiMedia HD900A and HD900B, but these players don't have a jukebox, not full featured anyway. There's a custom firmware for HiMedia that supports YAMJ, but it's kludgy and only supports local storage.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #4 of 12 Old 06-22-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I've never heard of that company before. However, all the Realtek 1186 players are pretty much the same. If I was you I would waited out a little longer and wait for the ones that will come out with XBMC and dual OS.
Howdy Gus! As I am presently 'dumber than a bag of hammers' about these devices, I don't know about XBMC. I had thought I read somewhere that these 1186 "Android" players were dual OS but not sure where I saw it and in what context.

I was wondering if you could help me decide something based upon our needs? For instance, IF we were to test one of these players, which chipset should we get? They make these with both the 1185 & 1186 chips. We do not need or want any 3D support, Android stuff or wireless. Not sure the slightly faster processor is really an issue since we also don't need any BD (Bluray) support [yet]. What I wonder is if there are other compatibility improvements with various file formats with the 1186 over the 1185 and if there's enough difference to warrant the 1186 player? Right now, we could order this 1185 player from internet, however, to get this with the 1186 chip, we'd have to order direct from factory and they claim they are unable to accept returns even for defective product. I believe one of the biggest issues is whether or not there is decent FW support, since it seems the FW determines whether or not these players are even tolerable. We are presently trying to find that out now. It's a shame there isn't more collaboration between these manufacturers in China and the US. Getting straight and understandable information from these people\companies is a bit like pulling teeth out with a pair of pliers. mad.gif

I thank you very much for your invaluable information. Regarding knowledge, I'm not a complete idiot or so I've been told. I'm MCP\MCSE, Network+, Security+ and warranty certified for repair of most every brand of computer out there. I specialize in setting up, stabilizing and securing networks and Ironwork (hardware repair). However, this technology has eluded me thus far. We've been lugging around stand alone set top DVD players to my classes and frankly, this is getting extremely tiresome. wink.gif The lack of flexibility with this method is getting very old. A stand alone media streamer\player that would handle our needs would be a blessing.

Thanks again for all your help Gus, and Brajesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 12 Old 06-22-2012, 02:24 PM

Ive got a bluetimes tv001 and cant recommend it high enough. Ive had it six months and i use it daily. It plays everything with no fuss. I think its realtek 1185. Im tempted to get the bt3549b as i now want wireless capability to save plugging and unplugging external drives. As the 1185 chipset has played everything so far i wouldnt worry about the 1186.

A good company to get the players from are www.futeko.com they are very knowledgable and have links to firmware updates to everything they sell. The tv001 worked fine straight out of the box but it has had two firmware updates so they do support their hardware.

If you dont need all the features of the bt-3549b then the tv001 might be a better option for you. Its quite small and a third of the price.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-24-2012, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothadave View Post

A good company to get the players from are www.futeko.com they are very knowledgable and have links to firmware updates to everything they sell.
Thanks Dave for your invaluable feedback here! Heard about futeko before... wondering if they ship to U.S. Also wondering about which models they carry... didn't see they carry the bt-3549b but guess we'd have to contact to verify all this. We do see they carry the bt-3550b which is very similar to the 3549.

Perhaps this 3549 is too new for a lot of sellers don't have it yet (only in the RT1185 which we would prefer IF if would meet our meager needs.) Since your device uses the 1185, could we ask some simple questions about some of our needs to see if it would work for us?

thanks very much again!
post #7 of 12 Old 06-25-2012, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
If your a beginner to this I wouldn't bother with the Realtek player they tend to be very rough round the edges, get a WDTV Live it does everything you seem to be asking for, you can buy them almost anywhere and there is a very large user community around it.

XBMC is an open source media platform, traditionally network media players have been very behind the times and XBMC is treated as what they should aspire too, well thats about to change soon as XBMC is making it's way to various off the shelf set top boxes.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-25-2012, 11:51 AM

lol well i was a "beginner" before i bought the bluetimes tv001 and it has a very nice interface. well laid out and simple to use. the tv001 is considerably cheaper than any wdtv live too. around half the price at least in the UK. dont know about in the US of course but id imagine it would be the same. i cant see any advantage of the 3549 or 3550 over the tv001 apart from the internal hardrive and networking capabilities. other than that the features are almost identical. its really down to your requirements. if you dont need the internal hardrive or networking features then save yourself $50 lol.

i think the 3550 is the same as the 3549, just browsing the ebluetimes website and they seem to reference both on the same page. i think the 3550 is actually the same model but with a built in wifi module.

http://ebluetimes.com/en/ProductView.asp?ID=169&SortID=149
post #9 of 12 Old 07-06-2012, 08:09 PM

almost all 1186 same function
post #10 of 12 Old 04-21-2013, 04:41 PM

I would strongly advise against any WDTV except the old second gen, for the simple fact that their codec playbacks are 'iffy' at best. Google "wdtv mkv freeze" and you'll see lots o' forums and no solutions. WDTV in their efforts to do streaming and other such things have allowed their basic QA to go by the wayside, so that mkv's and other files are very prone to not playing back based on minor tweaks in the package. No problems on a laptop, no problems on the older models, but try it on a Play or Streaming version and you'll think it should be renamed the WDTV Steaming . . . it's that bad.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-04-2013, 01:03 PM

Given the recent trouble I had with the WDTV Streaming being unable to handle a range of mkv files, and wanting a backup/portable option, I got the HD Media Player box on ebay (item 321113139276 for $15) . . . the one with hard buttons on the top in addition to a remote. The dang thing handles more mkv's than the WDTV Streaming could, all for 15 bucks. No glitches, DTS and others pass through just fine to my Denon DTS capable receiver. However, I wanted something with Wifi capability, and the Blue Times c500b (http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Bluetimes-C500B-3D-Android-1080p-H-264-MKV-WiFi-Network-USB-3-0-HDMI-TV-Box/702748_812362634.html) seemed like a good option. Now I don't have time for an extensive review, so here's what I could ascertain in my limited time before trying to get it returned (still in process of resolution):

1. It handles every file so far including a wide range of mkv's with various frame rates, audio, compression . . . mkv's that WDTV can't handle, this could.
2. Has USB 3.0 and 2.0 but more interestingly, SATA II . . . they even provide the cable that has data and power supplied from the media player. Just plug it into an SATA drive and boom! It can read the files and play them. Not pretty or fancy, but works.
3. No manual, but can figure it out with minimal problem
4. The deal breaker: The Wifi setup was easy, but nonfunctional. Web browsing not an option (it's there, but greyed out). The one simple thing I definitely would want was access to youtube- Not only did the interface with youtube routinely freeze, it required a hard reboot (i.e. unplugging power and plugging it back in). No amount of remote adjustment would respond once it locked up. This was 100% reproducible with every attempt at Youtube. I didn't even bother attempting streaming or anything else . . . if this basic functionality isn't there and requires hard rebooting, it goes back.

Hence, I didn't have time to check DTS, ac3, sound pass throughs, other extensive files, photo display etc. However, given the above, would you still be interested even at $70?

Will keep you apprised on how the return goes. They do communicate promptly. When I told them about the above, the response was that "it's mainly a media player". I think they already knew the Wifi functionality was badly implemented off the realtek 1186 chipset.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-30-2013, 12:41 PM

Well, the return process failed. 30 bucks to ship it back, and no sign of a refund. As they're in China, I just got screwed, end of story. Chalk it up to experience, I would not recommend risking any money on a Blue Times or Bluetimes product unless it's through a retailer that will offer a full refund and return shipping cost. Caveat emptor, dudes.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page