Whole-house video distribution over LAN? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 06-26-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have an Audio Authority video distribution system that routes HDTV over two Cat5 cables, which has worked reasonably well for a number of years. My problem with it is that it makes my cabling overly complex (it's component video, and I'm hoping to go HDMI-only soon), and it's fragile. It routes video to two different locations, so that's a minimum requirement for its replacement. One possibility would be to get an HDMI splitter plus at least two HDMI-over-Cat5 devices. I'm not excited by this idea, because it's complicated and no more flexible than my current solution, but it's my fallback position.

My ideal solution would be a box that takes HDMI in and just streams it over my LAN, with a small (and cheap) WiFi-enabled receiver at the far end with an HDMI output that connects to the display. Even better would be if the transmitter passes through the HDMI, so I can put it inline into the cable and not have to use a splitter. I have an 802.11n WiFi network, so it ought to be capable of handling a reasonable quality stream, but I'm willing to compromise a bit on quality if I have to.

Does anybody know whether such a thing exists? I've done some research and I've found a bunch of products that are almost what I need, but nothing that's exactly correct.

Thanks,
Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-26-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Where is the video you sending to two TV's originating from?

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #3 of 20 Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

At the moment, a TiVo, but ultimately I'd like it to be the output of my receiver so that I can switch multiple sources to every display in the house.
post #4 of 20 Old 06-27-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by asher View Post

At the moment, a TiVo, but ultimately I'd like it to be the output of my receiver so that I can switch multiple sources to every display in the house.

I remember these guys from a post some time back. Sounds like what you are looking to do.

http://www.justaddpower.com/

No idea if their products are good or bad.

-Suntan
post #5 of 20 Old 06-27-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Hm. It's a bit hard to tell from their website, but it does look like that would do what I want. On the other hand, it would be something like $1000+ for one transmitter and two receivers, and that's assuming that they can work with my existing router and no additional equipment. That's a bit more than the budget I have available for the project, especially since I can get HDMI baluns for less than $100 for a transmitter/receiver pair. Thanks, but it seems like it's probably overkill for what I want.

Can anybody offer another suggestion?

Thanks,
Aaron
post #6 of 20 Old 06-28-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

So, do I take it from the silence that nobody knows of such a thing? It occurs to me that a Slingbox will very nearly do what I want. It has one main problem, which is that there isn't an HDMI version, but other than that it's pretty close. Anybody know of a good Slingbox competitor?

Thanks,
Aaron
post #7 of 20 Old 06-28-2012, 09:08 PM

Liked: 32
Cheap, go with a slingbox. If you have unlimited funding, go with HDMI over IP. The thing about HDMI over IP, is that it uses its own Closed Loop LAN. What that means, is that nothing else uses the LAN that the HDMI system is using. The catch is, that HDMI is good for if you are sending a single feed to multiple sets, per say in a church, conference center, or open venue.
post #8 of 20 Old 06-29-2012, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

For the benefit of future searchers, I've come to the conclusion that right now what I want doesn't exist, presumably because of the legal restrictions on HDMI (insert rant about stupid DRM here). The closest thing to what I'm looking for would be a Slingbox, but that's really optimized for Internet distribution, which isn't what I want and therefore would be suboptimal (and it doesn't have an HDMI input). Therefore, I think I'm going to go with a 4x1 HDMI splitter ($44 at Monoprice) and a couple of HDMI-over-Cat5 extenders ($18 each at Monoprice). I'll have one spare HDMI output in case I want to extend the system in the future, though I won't have the option of wireless connections.

Thanks,
Aaron
post #9 of 20 Old 06-29-2012, 08:22 PM

Uhm Asher, it already exists, both in wired & wireless. As I already stated, it is HDMI over IP. Bad side is, is costs. Good side is, it is getting better in how the technology is being utilized.
post #10 of 20 Old 07-01-2012, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Uhm Asher, it already exists, both in wired & wireless. As I already stated, it is HDMI over IP. Bad side is, is costs. Good side is, it is getting better in how the technology is being utilized.

'Uhm', not really. Any HDMI over IP product compresses the hell out of the signal.
Greg is a bit of a shill who doesn't really understand technology.
post #11 of 20 Old 07-02-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

Greg is a bit of a shill who doesn't really understand technology.

No need to insult someone just because you disagree with their recommendation.
post #12 of 20 Old 07-10-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trondmm View Post

No need to insult someone just because you disagree with their recommendation.

Read his posts.
...preferably before you comment again.
post #13 of 20 Old 07-11-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

...preferably before you comment again.

I have a much easier solution:
sam64.png
post #14 of 20 Old 07-13-2012, 05:20 AM

works for me too wink.gif
post #15 of 20 Old 07-13-2012, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

For the benefit of future searchers, I've come to the conclusion that right now what I want doesn't exist, presumably because of the legal restrictions on HDMI (insert rant about stupid DRM here). The closest thing to what I'm looking for would be a Slingbox, but that's really optimized for Internet distribution, which isn't what I want and therefore would be suboptimal (and it doesn't have an HDMI input). Therefore, I think I'm going to go with a 4x1 HDMI splitter ($44 at Monoprice) and a couple of HDMI-over-Cat5 extenders ($18 each at Monoprice). I'll have one spare HDMI output in case I want to extend the system in the future, though I won't have the option of wireless connections.
Thanks,
Aaron
Have you considered just using the Tivo "set top box" due out later this year?
post #16 of 20 Old 07-13-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
post #17 of 20 Old 07-13-2012, 12:27 PM
jgb

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been using the Just Add Power stuff for a few years and it works well for me. I have it set up with 5 sources (4 Tivos and a VOD STB) going to 9 TVs. The video quality isn't a perfect replication of the source, but close enough not to be noticeable on most TVs in my house. I will admit that in the Theater Room I use a local source. The cost can be a hurdle though, but it is the most flexible solution I found. The switching between sources is instaneous (unless my TV as to sync to a new resolution, but that is the TV not the switch)

jgb
post #18 of 20 Old 07-13-2012, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:

My ideal solution would be a box that takes HDMI in and just streams it over my LAN, with a small (and cheap) WiFi-enabled receiver at the far end with an HDMI output that connects to the display. Even better would be if the transmitter passes through the HDMI, so I can put it inline into the cable and not have to use a splitter. I have an 802.11n WiFi network, so it ought to be capable of handling a reasonable quality stream, but I'm willing to compromise a bit on quality if I have to.
Does anybody know whether such a thing exists? I've done some research and I've found a bunch of products that are almost what I need, but nothing that's exactly correct.
Thanks,
Aaron
If you're going to try to get Hi-Def through a wireless set up you will have to compromise. You'll either have to endure occasional to frequent 'Chiclets' (tiling) or down res to 720p. Powerline modems from what I've read do a little better though on sustained throughput. Wired, of course, can easily handle it. I have a HDHR Prime and can easily run three 14Mbps streams and internet access through my Gigabit switch, the best I can reliably pass over the 802.11n WiFi on my network is about 10Mbps. Here's an existing thread about it: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1419899/best-wifi-streamer/0_40

PS: You might as well put me on your ignore list too re. gregzoll. Read this: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1418350/coax-splitter-to-whole-house/0_40#post_22197279 to the end...
post #19 of 20 Old 07-14-2012, 05:06 PM

Now OlyTeddy, why would I do that. You just helped fill in more info, which is how a think tank should work. Not one person is going to figure everything out, and if there is only one person that starts stating that their knowledge is far more superior than the roundtable discussion, or think tank as a whole, then you have a problem.

If you have noticed, one in particular that I have blocked, so I do not have to see their comments in threads, but due to the new format, I still have the ability now to see it if I wish, which I don't, it stops the mucking up the threads. In other words, it weeds out those that just want to bicker about nothing out of what you really want to see, when trying to follow a thread.

As for using WiFi to distribute HD, yes it can be done, and as you stated, right now the technology is there, but can only at most do 720p. I really do not see developers getting better than what it is now, until maybe five years from now, if that. As I have stated before, Moore's law states that every ten years technology changes, but now we are seeing five years, which means Moore's law is needing some major updating.

Even Moore stated that his rule was not written in stone, and is just a aspect of his thought in how anything can change by leaps and bounds in ten years time.

As for that other thread you pointed out, I do believe that everything got lost in translation, and when it did, we both lost the meaning of the original intent or thought, but both of us knew and meant well in our own thoughts what we were both thinking, outside of the box at that moment.
post #20 of 20 Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 AM

You can try this Octava HDDSX extender over LAN. The device designed for education, retail displays in multi-display applications where reliability and ease of installation is premium.
SInce it is a LAN/IP based system, the video quality is obviously not same as native HD video, but it is very good and easy to install.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming