LG Smart TV streaming content through router??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-06-2012, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've searched the forum here but thus far can't find much reference to the problem I'm having...

I have an LG HB906SB HTIB that has the Smart TV system. It is connected via cat5e cable to my SMC Barricade router which uses a Linksys DSL modem for internet access. The router is configured to use OpenDNS (not sure if this is relevant but I think it is). I initially had much difficulty getting a WAN connection to function on the LG HTIB. So far the only way I have been successful in obtaining an external WAN connection on the LG is to manually set the DNS settings on the LG to point to the SMC Barricade router (192.168.2.1).

With the LG DNS settings manually configured to point to the router I can access Netflix(.ca) but apparently no other on-line content. For example, if I try to access Youtube from the LG I just get the "working" circle that spins on the screen. Youtube never comes up. Likewise with any other "Premium" streaming content. Netflix seems to be it with the settings I'm using. Internal LAN connections are not a problem as I can stream from my media server with no problem (DNS settings don't come into play).

I CAN access the LG App store, but haven't actually purchased any apps so not sure if connectivity is otherwise limited here as well.

It does seem strange that I have to set the LG DNS configuration to point to the router but it is the only way I could find to get an external connection at all. Network tests always failed before I did this. I'm likewise confused that if I manually configure the LG DNS settings to point directly to OpenDNS I cannot get an external WAN connection. Similarly I'm boggled that Netflix works but nothing else does....must not be using DNS for Netflix?

There has to be something I'm missing. I would like to be able to use the other streaming content features. I know they are limited in Canada but at the very least I would like to be able to access Youtube.

Note: I previously had a Samsung Blu-ray player on this same connection that could access both Netflix and Youtube with no manual configuration necessary.....so much for going with the integrated approach. rolleyes.gif

Any tips on settings to get streaming to work reliably through a router?

PS - Also regarding external connections....the LG previously noted that updated firmware was available (which suggests it works) but the update always failed until two days ago. I had been trying for a couple of months with no luck. I think I remember reading somewhere that the updated firmware did help with streaming issues. After many failed attempts to update firmware via both web and USB it did finally succeed the other day. I had hoped that this might resolve my streaming issues but alas no.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-16-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

*Bump*

Anybody???
post #3 of 3 Old 09-06-2012, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Just in case anyone else finds this thread in a search....

This issue seems to be resolved with the 2012.06.28 firmware update.

Default Gateway and Primary DNS settings still point to the router IP but all premium content now works as expected.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page