Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I ran across this little device on Kickstarter (my new addiction): Pocket TV

Some bits from the project description:
Quote:
Convert your TV into a Smart TV

What can it be used for?

Streaming video: Imagine being able to watch YouTube on your TV rather than on a small computer screen. Or even your other video subscriptions such as Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Video Services. You can now do that right on your home theater system instead of your tablet or phone. Oh and it’s all displayed in HD with up to 1080p resolution.

Listen to music: The Pocket TV even acts as a streaming device for music so you can play all of the content that’s on your computer or home network drive (NAS). That means you access not only your downloaded music but also your movies, TV shows and even your holiday pictures right on your home entertainment system.

Gaming: Why wait for Angry Birds to come to Xbox360 or PS3 when you can play it on your Pocket TV? Or how about racing and strategy games? Wouldn’t they look better on your TV than on your phone?

Social Media: For all you social media addicts who can’t go 15 minutes without checking your Facebook and Twitter feeds we wouldn’t deprive you of that. Trust us, we’re just as hooked as you are!

News: Get CNN and BBC on demand. The story you want, when you want it, right on your big screen TV. For those who are less addicted to news you can access all your feeds with Google Currents, Pulse, Flipboard and similar apps.

Work: Edit documents, read PDFs, review PowerPoint, send and receive emails and even do video conferences.

Google Maps: Tired of squinting at your screen trying to find road directions? Yes we know you won’t be able to take your TV with you on the road, but the satellite imaging is insane on a 50-inch plasma!

Web Browsing: And of course you can to that too. Use Dolphin browser, Opera, or even Chrome and sync it with your laptop's browser.

Thousands more apps: The Google Play store is full of apps for all types of users and most of them work on the Pocket TV. Dropbox, Evernote, IMDB, ESPN… The list is endless. Go exploring and let us know what you like. If there’s a specific function you would like us to develop to better use a popular app let us know and we can work on it.

Hardware Specs

I'm looking to replace a couple WDTVs that I have in the house. I'm trying to decide if this will be a suitable replacement. I love the size (make it easy to pack and take on a biz trip). I like that it is Android based, and that it turns your TV into a big ass Tablet! biggrin.gif

My biggest questions are these:
They claim it will play a 720p mkv (in the comments section). Will that hardware handle 1080p?
It is WiFi only (without an adapter). Will it be able to stream 1080p content (mkv) or a BD ISO via wifi, or would it need to be connected to the wired network?
Are there any good Android apps for browsing a large collection and playing large files? What about providing pass-through audio?

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
No Android player currently can play 720p or 1080p smoothly. Yet. Its hit and miss. If you want small build a mini-ITX APU system which would be vastly more flexible and still tiny.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-06-2012, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I used to have a HTPC, and I hated having to navigate around with the keyboard. The WDTV uses a regular remote and my kids and use it easily enough.
With the Pocket TV, that "air remote" is small and handy and would be perfect for navigation around a "ui friendly" environment. My 3yr old daughter knows how to get to the player on my tablet and play her movies, but there is no way she'll be able to navigate Windows to do the same. The ease of navigation and visualization is unfortunately a big factor now that I have a wife and kids. Otherwise I'd still have my HTPC biggrin.gif

Maybe it's time to look at HTPCs again. My last HTPC was built using the case I got from AVS in a powerbuy (like 8 years ago). LOVE that case! biggrin.gif I know there are many lower power, good performing chips available... So maybe it's time to research to build a couple good/small HTPCs... I think finding a good front end (OS, or something that runs on the OS at startup) will be key though for the family acceptance...

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

post #4 of 8 Old 07-06-2012, 04:04 PM

Liked: 10

looks similar to MK802 and zero device Z802 available from China.

post #5 of 8 Old 07-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

XMBC can autorun when Windows starts, and you can disable logging on with a password in 7 so its more or less seamless. You can a cheap MCE edition remote for XMBC too. For a mini-ITX build the size of three or four stacked DVD's:

- Asus F1A75-I Deluxe

- 8GB DDR3 1600MHz kit, 2 sticks

- AMD A4/A6 65w APU (pick one depending on budget, TDP must be low due to heat constraints, the APU's have the graphical grunt Intel doesn't, note that the next gen APU's [~20% faster overall] are coming within two or three months)

- Antec ISK-150 mini-ITX case (150w PSU included)

- Low profile heatsink

- 2.5" SSD (the ISK only accepts 2.5" anyway), at least 120GB.

Voila! Connected via HDMI.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-06-2012, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Why bother with Windows at all if going for XBMC. Since he's building new select the appropriate hardware and install Openelec either on a flash drive or directly to hard disk and boot directly into XBMC. I still prefer a standalone media player myself.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post

Why bother with Windows at all if going for XBMC. Since he's building new select the appropriate hardware and install Openelec either on a flash drive or directly to hard disk and boot directly into XBMC. I still prefer a standalone media player myself.

Because Windows is flexible. If Openelec doesn't work or parts are broken, there are limited workarounds. With Windows, there are lots of solutions to fix issues. That's why. Same thing with a standalone. It will never be as versatile as a HTPC.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-07-2012, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
My biggest questions are these:
* They claim it will play a 720p mkv (in the comments section). Will that hardware handle 1080p?
* It is WiFi only (without an adapter). Will it be able to stream 1080p content (mkv) or a BD ISO via wifi, or would it need to be connected to the wired network?
* Are there any good Android apps for browsing a large collection and playing large files? What about providing pass-through audio?

* Yes, most Arm chipsets have hardware decoders for common formats. However Android is a fragmented OS and not all media players make use of the hardware acceleration.
* No it would need ethernet, wireless is no good and many Android boxes are bad at network streaming. ISO support is not present.
* No there aren't. Pass- through audio is possible depending upon the device.

If your getting an Android device then get an All Winner A10 based one
* Hardware decoding support that surpasses most media player chipsets, 4k decoding support, H.264 MVC (3D Blu-ray) and so on.
* Can boot linux OS from SD card and XBMC is being ported to A10 chipset, don't bother with a HTPC too cumbersome and expensive. Raspbmc should be one of the distros which will be available eventually.
* Under Android AllWinner media browser has native network browsing which is a rare thing for any Android set top box. It can also open ISO images however it can only open them like a folder.

Of the various Android boxes I've seen & used the All Winner is the best of the bunch for price & features. As the hardware is relatively open it means it can be continued to be supported unlike other devices.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page