Oppo BDP-93 vs computer-based music server - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-06-2012, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Hi everyone,

I'm beginning the process of revamping my audio system, and it will include the ability to play music from a hard drive. I intend to buy an Oppo BDP-93 as part of my new system. I know it will stream all the file formats I wish to be able to play. However, I have read about a lot of people that are setting up dedicated computers to handle this task. I'm trying to decide if streaming my audio files via the Oppo is sufficient, or if I need to look into building a music server.

My primary concern is the quality of the sound. Of course a friendly user interface is nice, but I'm not willing to pay a whole bunch extra for that. However, I am willing to invest more if it means a significant increase in sound quality. The Oppo player or server would be sending digital signal to an Anthem MRX receiver via HDMI , optical or SPDIF.

So the question is this: Does anyone out there have experience with both the Oppo and a high-quality music server that would indicate that there is a significant sound quality advantage to either option? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-06-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Digital files are the same played from any device, it all sounds the same. Caveat: if your player is setup to decode and output by analog connects, it can make a difference.

As long as the Oppo supports a particular file format, there's no difference in "quality" compared to a PC.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I've been using my Oppo 93 to play flac from a 2TB HD, the only problem is the slow interface to browse through all those files, it works great though. Something like Squeezebox would make browsing much easier, but won't change the sound in any way.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-07-2012, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own an Oppo-93 connected via HDMI to a Marantz AV7005. I use it to play SACD's, but for CD playback I use my home computer. I ripped my CD collection to FLAC files and stored them on the home computer. I have a wired connection from the PC to the Marantz. Marantz offers DLNA to allow playback of the computer files. For DLNA to work server software is required on the PC. I initially chose Twonky. It worked well. I used it for several months until I read about jRiver Media Center. jRiver offers a 30 day free trial so I installed it on the PC, following jRiver's setup guidlines. The improvement in sound quality over the Oppo-93 playing the CD to the Marantz and Twonky streaming via DLNA to the Marantz was pretty astonishing. My entire CD library became much more listenable, so much so that I have spent the last several weeks listening to it again. The improvement in sound qualities that i perceive are: higher resolution sound (a lot more detail), wider sound stage, and a deeper, almost three dimensional, sound stage.

If your Anthem does not have DLNA, jRiver recommends connecting an HTPC running jRiver to a receiver/prepro using HDMI. They suggest the quality of sound will be better than DLNA.

Hope this helps in your decision.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-09-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Thanks for the feedback. I'm surprised no one chimed in saying that they thought there would be a sound quality difference. Whether there is or not, usually both opinions are represented when it comes to sound quality.

Saeyedoc: Although I haven't used the Oppo, I suspected that its interface would be cumbersome for music files. Does the Oppo have an on-screen (TV) interface and do you use it? Is it difficult in terms of layout, organization, ease of use, etc., or is it just a little slow and unresponsive? I will have a projector, and I most certainly would not want it to be on for music listening.

Seems to me that it would be nice if Oppo had an app for tablets and/or smartphones, and part of it could include a nice interface for browsing your music file collection.

post #6 of 6 Old 07-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The on screen interface just shows the files however you have them organized. It will show cover art on one of the screens that shows what's playing currently.
It works fine, it's just cumbersome to use with large numbers of files and no search feature. You would have to use a screen to see what you're doing, you'd have to hook up a monitor to one of the Oppo outputs if you don't want to use your projector.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page