How to 'push' high resolution digital audio to Cambridge Audio 751BD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-08-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new to computer audio. I've a CA751BD universal player feeding a decent (but no digital inputs) stereo preamp and I would like to be able to 'push' high resolution (up to 24/192) audio files from my linux laptop to the player wirelessly over my home network.

Thanks to another thread on these forums I've learned that the 751BD can only 'pull' files from my laptop using (for example) Twonky. But I don't want a TV screen in my listening room and to have to use the quite cumbersome interface on the 751BD for searching and playing.

As a beginner, I hope that somewhere there must be a wireless box/dongle which plugs into a usb port on the 751BD and can 'see' my laptop and receive and transfer digital files from the laptop to the 751 (just like a usb stick with wifi smile.gif ). I'm not keen to spend money on a wireless box (eg Squeezebox) with its own dacs and analogue outputs and to bypass the excellent dacs inside the 751.

Any advice would be very welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-08-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 215
For this type function you need a dedicated media box. One common alternative is to get a small LCD portable TV with video input and connect it to the output of the player. TVs in the 7-10" range are cheap and plentiful.

The player is not capable of having media streams pushed to it, this is a hardware limitation. It functions only as a DNLA client.

There are other ways of controlling the player, such as RS-232 and programmable IR remotes which you can program to enter a set of commands. For example, place a bunch of files in the root of a USB drive and program the remote to enter the commands required to play them. For network playback, it's not impossible to do the same, but far more complicated.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-08-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
sorry but your are out of luck. just not poosible....... get a sonos or squeezebox etc which are properly designed streamers with all the features you want

i would recommend apple airport but only its digital outputs are any good. analog has poor HF freq response rolloff
post #4 of 6 Old 07-08-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

There are other ways of controlling the player, such as RS-232 and programmable IR remotes which you can program to enter a set of commands. For example, place a bunch of files in the root of a USB drive and program the remote to enter the commands required to play them. For network playback, it's not impossible to do the same, but far more complicated.

Thanks for the advice. Could you expand a bit more on that please. I've a couple of decent-sized (500 Gb) usb drives available which formerly were used for cloning/backup. These could store audio files.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-08-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by dond2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Thanks for the advice. Could you expand a bit more on that please. I've a couple of decent-sized (500 Gb) usb drives available which formerly were used for cloning/backup. These could store audio files.

Just plug in the drive and jot down the sequence of commands needed to start playback. Then program your remote to accomplish the same. Most programmable remotes offer an option for creating a macro with pauses and various commands. In this case it's not impossible to simply memorize the commands and use the front panel display on the player.

I use a 7" portable TV for my music-only system, work great.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-19-2013, 11:34 PM

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for your opinions.

have just invested in the 751 mainly for picture quality via hdmi, however I also have a large collection of DVD-a's, SACD AND DTS 96/24. I am blown away with the picture however my Onkyo 608 AVR doesn't have analogue inputs which I believe is the best way to hear audio!

My questions are, can the 751 convert the digital audio from dvd audio and sacd to LPCM/PCM and feed my AVR lossless audio via HDMI, and if so will this be as good as analogue?

Also, I've heard that even when using analogue outs to make use of the 751's on board DACS, some AVR's will convert it back to digital! Do you guys think its worth me reinvesting in a new AVR with analogue inputs and pure direct mode.?

Hopefully, the 751 can convert to PCM and feed my existing Onkyo 608 with lossless audiophile quality music. Please help

Thank you, david
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page