Originally Posted by sdg4vfx
Looking for a media player.
* Primary playback will be DVD and Blu-Ray back-up rips from a hard drive.
* Don't need streaming (Netflix, etc. - have other devices that cover that).
* Don't need network connectivity (to a computer, server, etc.).
Already went the cheap route (i.e. $100 or less) and both were useless. (Didn't fulfill priorities listed below, esp. the first one!.) Ready to pay more.Highest Priorities:
- Works out of the box and is dependable
(i.e. infrequent crashes)
- High quality 1080p video playback (including 24p/24hz) (very little of my content is interlaced)
- Able to play standard DVD/BR audio formats in 5.1, etc.
- Clear, functional interface (slick/pretty interface a plus but not necessary)
- Able to play/read DVD/BR menus
- Can attach an external drive - preference is HFS+ drive/raid via USB, eSATA, FW, etc., or, a NAS drive/raid.
- Decent up-scaling of DVD material to 1080p. (The up-scaling on the OPPO decks is amazing, is that too high a bar?)
- Internet connectivity for easier ROM/software updates.Lower Priority:
- Able to play 3D: 3D BR format (frame packing) preferred, Side-by-Side 3D acceptable, Separate L/R streams a bonus (but not expected)
- Able to play/read subtitles.
Misc: Almost all my DVD/BR backups are strait, full disk rips, not conversions (may do that later). 3D playback or Subtitles are not deal breakers.
One last, tangential question - can BR video be played/streamed from a HD over USB 2.0? Or would I need a USB 3.0 connection?
Much, much thanks for any recommendations.