Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-09-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys,

It's time to replace my very old Netgear RangeMax router...

We've got a fairly large house to cover with multiple devices including several laptops (2 Windows machines and a future Mac) and several Apple devices (iPhones, iPods and an iPad). I've heard good things about these routers (in alphabetical order):

Asus RT-N66U
Cisco Linksys E4200 v1
Netgear R6300
Netgear WNDR4500

Any thoughts or suggestions on which one to go with? Or perhaps a different model??

Thanks in advance! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-09-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 592
All of them will work. It is just a matter of brand preference and cost. Linksys has better support overall. I own a WNDR3700, which was solid for 2 years, but after a FW upgrade and a power outage it started acting up. I contacted Netgear and they wouldn't provide any support unless I paid them a fee. Needless to say I don't use it anymore.

I used to own a Linksys like 5 years ago, and it started acting up after 2 years as well. I contacted Linksys, and even though it was out of warranty the tech support guy helped me out. I've also heard good things Asus RT-N66u.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #3 of 17 Old 07-10-2012, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Gus!
post #4 of 17 Old 07-10-2012, 08:31 AM

post #5 of 17 Old 07-10-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eug7 View Post

Belkin N750 best value for money.
See: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/76-total-simul
I need better-than-average range due to the large house, but I'll take a peek at this one. Thanks!
post #6 of 17 Old 07-10-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eug7 View Post

Belkin N750 best value for money.
See: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/76-total-simul

I've tried Belkin before...lets just said after 3 hours of messing around with it and trying to setting it up, it was returned. However, I know some of my friends use Belkin and do not have any issues with it. I might of gotten a bad unit since I bought it from Best Buy mad.gif

Home Theater Set Up:

post #7 of 17 Old 07-10-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post

I need better-than-average range due to the large house, but I'll take a peek at this one. Thanks!

If you're house is large, I would suggest getting a signal extender as well. Right now, I am trying to use my WNDR3700 in my master bedroom as a wireless signal extender. I'm just testing it out and see if I get a better signal.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #8 of 17 Old 07-10-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

If you're house is large, I would suggest getting a signal extender as well.
Good idea. But I've gotta replace this old dinosaur first! smile.gif

post #9 of 17 Old 07-10-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good idea. But I've gotta replace this old dinosaur first! smile.gif

Lol you can use that old dinosaur as your extender!biggrin.gif

Home Theater Set Up:

post #10 of 17 Old 07-10-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I guess that's true... smile.gif
post #11 of 17 Old 07-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
This is supposed to be a high powered router for larger houses....
http://www.amazon.com/Amped-Wireless-Wireless-N-Gigabit-R20000G/dp/B007M8SGW2/ref=pd_cp_pc_2

My recommendation is to pick up a couple routers that have been on the market already and proven their reliability. I've owned many Linksys/Cisco routers and ALL of them have had issues. I'll never buy one of those products again and most people buy them just because of the name. One day I bought a DLINK DIR-655 router. I never thought I would like it or use it for a long time but that has to be the best router I have ever used. It NEVER needs a reboot, it NEVER crashes, it NEVER locks up. It has worked flawless for me and I use two of them. I really never thought I would like a DLINK product, but I'm real glad I was introduced to it. DO NOT buy a new router because trust me, you'll never use most of the features it has. Of course you want the basics. Dual wireless and all that...ya know the stuff that every router has. Just don't get worked up on all the crap the routers have in their firmware. I turn off all the features.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-11-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, the Asus RT-N66U seems to be highly recommended elsewhere so I might give that one a shot.
twan69666 likes this.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Hi guys,
It's time to replace my very old Netgear RangeMax router...
We've got a fairly large house to cover with multiple devices including several laptops (2 Windows machines and a future Mac) and several Apple devices (iPhones, iPods and an iPad). I've heard good things about these routers (in alphabetical order):
Asus RT-N66U
Cisco Linksys E4200 v1
Netgear R6300
Netgear WNDR4500
Any thoughts or suggestions on which one to go with? Or perhaps a different model??
Thanks in advance! smile.gif

In spirit of transparency I work with Netgear to help them work with the AVS community. As such I have access to all of their products and get to live with the good and the bad. The two of the routers from Netgear you list the WNDR4500 and the R6300 are their latest top end routers. The R6300 is built on the new AC standard that is capable of 1300mbs with the new AC clients. A big note here is that unlike the other routers this is an actual potential to a client. All other routers list speeds combining both 2.4 ghz band and the 5 Ghz band together. Meaning when you see N600, N750, N900 etc this is taken as the sum of all these bands added together. Not the case with the R6300. The AC technology is the most significant wireless breakthrough since the transition from G to N.

As I wrote in my post on the 6300 these theoretical speeds only matter when you have the compatible client. But they are coming. Netgear will be releasing their AC usb dongle in about 60 days. And it wont be long before you start seeing laptops with this built in. Im sure Apple will be first on this.

But even with out the AC client the 6300 has proven to me to be the best router I have used to day. Why? First it has been a rock. I have not had to power cycle it since I set it up a couple months ago. The range is also the best. I have a large house and hd to use a router and 2 access points. With the 6300 I was able to eliminate one of the access points thus simplifying things. In particular I have found that the 5ghz range is great. Best of any router I have used.

So points of comparison. I have the R6300, WNDR4500, WNDR3800 and the WNDR3700. The R6300 and the WNDR4500 are built from the same/similar chip-sets. The 3700/3800 are of a different vendor. The 6300 and 4500 are the basis of Netgear technology going forward. Both the 6300 and the 4500 have higher powered radios then do the 3800/3700 and therefore better range.

But again in my real world test the 6300 is by far the best I have used. My need for the 3rd access point was because my 6300 sits under my desk between to computers and other electronics. The worst possible placement. The 6300 doesnt seem to mind. It just powers through this electronic mess.

So in my opinion the 6300 is the best choice. You will future proof your purchase for many years to come. If you want to save some cash there is a 6200 model coming shortly that will be $20 ($179 versus $199) less but is a 2 radio (450*2=900mbs versus the 6300 3 radio 450*3=1300mbs). And the 4500 has just been price reduced to make room for the 6200 and it is now $159.

I can vouch for the routers I mentioned from real world use. But knowing what I know I would not hesitate and buy the R6300. It is that good.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
post #14 of 17 Old 07-11-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Bob. Thanks for the detailed info.

To be honest with you, I was just about to order the R6300 when I read reviews on other sites saying that between the two, the Asus RT-N66U was the way to go. In fact this Asus unit seems to be extremely popular and very well-liked, so now I'm torn on which router to buy (R6300 vs N66U).

Since you work with Netgear I'm gonna guess that you've never tested the Asus RT-N66U and can't really comment on it. True? False?

If it helps, I do not own any compatible AC clients and since I'm about to buy a new laptop (any day now) I probably won't own one for years -- plus I'm not too big on using adapters.

Any thoughts based on the fact that AC probably won't come into play for me?

Thanks...
post #15 of 17 Old 07-11-2012, 06:15 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Well, the Asus RT-N66U seems to be highly recommended elsewhere so I might give that one a shot.

Cant say enough great things about this router. Never needs a reboot, great range (for me, but Im in an apartment), and throughput is great. HIGHLY recommended!
post #16 of 17 Old 07-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

Hi Bob. Thanks for the detailed info.
To be honest with you, I was just about to order the R6300 when I read reviews on other sites saying that between the two, the Asus RT-N66U was the way to go. In fact this Asus unit seems to be extremely popular and very well-liked, so now I'm torn on which router to buy (R6300 vs N66U).
Since you work with Netgear I'm gonna guess that you've never tested the Asus RT-N66U and can't really comment on it. True? False?
If it helps, I do not own any compatible AC clients and since I'm about to buy a new laptop (any day now) I probably won't own one for years -- plus I'm not too big on using adapters.
Any thoughts based on the fact that AC probably won't come into play for me?
Thanks...

Well correct I have not used the Asus so I really cant comment.

In Netgear's case keep this in mind. This is their business. Asus, Belkin and many many other companies just buy devices from the China manufactures, brand them and often have little to do with the design and technology. Netgear today is the market leader in networking in the consumer space and I believe their products and designs have a lot to do with it.

Regarding the AC client yes I understand what you are saying if you dont have an AC based pc whats the point. The fact though is that a router will often outlast pc's so you will live with it a long time. You very well may have an AC client in your future. But as to today there are several advantages. One is the more powerful radios in the 6300,6200 and 4500 so increased range. That was a an issue for you. Second the 6300/4500 have many useful features. NAS capability with an attached USB dricve, Apple Air Print capability through their Genie software. IOS apps for status and control. Printer sharing. And the UI is the nicest I have seen on any router.

So all this said if you choose Netgear (and by the way they are an American company based here in the Silicon Valley) my suggestions stand. Either the 6300, 6200 or the 4500. In any case I believe you will be very happy.

Best to you.

Bob Silver
post #17 of 17 Old 07-11-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

So all this said if you choose Netgear (and by the way they are an American company based here in the Silicon Valley) my suggestions stand. Either the 6300, 6200 or the 4500. In any case I believe you will be very happy.
Best to you.
Bob Silver

That's good to know. All they've got to do now is get better customer service.

I think if you get some one else how test a different router, he'd say "my router is better than everything else." That's just the way things are nowadays.

Home Theater Set Up:

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page