Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-14-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was looking at this:

Synology DiskStation DS112j

http://www.synology.com/products/spec.php?product_name=DS112j&lang=enu#p_submenu

Single disk, minimalistic, quiet, low poer usage, good software support.

I'm not so much looking for alternative solutions as all the other ones I've looked at in the same ( or lower price bracket ) are either not HDD swappable ( inbuilt ) and have reviewed poorly for software support and or noise. I've looked at some D-link and western digital alternatives, none were very well regarded.

What I wanted to know is if the audio was bitstreamed via DLNA ( untouched by the NAS's DACs and whatnot ). I have just ripped about 500CDs in WAV format to a HDD and before I invest in an NAS ( and a new HDD ) I wanted to know if the quality of the NAS's DAC mattered when in a direct network to the receiver. Or whether the receiver simply reads the files as is.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses. I build my own gaming PCs but I didn't even know there was such a thing as an NAS until today...and I wasn't interested in costly HTPC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-14-2012, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Well I don't know if my post will be of much help to you but I have the DS212j. I don't have any DLNA devices, I'm using Audio Station with my iPod touch with the DS audio app and using the Apple TV 3 as the media renderer. I'm no audiophile but I can't tell any difference using this method vs. direct from a PC or Mac using iTunes to the ATV. Not exactly what you wanted to know but maybe it's a help. I will say the Synology is awesome. Once the drives are formatted, which for 5TB I let run overnight, I had things setup in less than a half hour. Visible from my Mac's, PC's, Roku (with Roksbox)...it truly works very well without babysitting or trying to figure out what it's issue is today. Very happy with my purchase up to this point.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-14-2012, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That's for the response. I after reading around the general consensus was the same as yours, that not only was the built quality amazing; but that the software was intuitive etc.

I want to get it up and running ASAP.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page