post #1 of 13 Old 07-14-2012, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://xbmc.org/theuni/2012/07/13/xbmc-for-android/

Watching this super close....

Maybe we will finally see a real functional XBMC set top box. I certainly hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-14-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Me 2!

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #3 of 13 Old 07-14-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Nothing is that great of news. Software decoding for audio/video limits it to pretty much anything running only a tegra3 for some decent playback. Same problem is there with running xbmc on the meleA2000 and things video is ok using the supplied blobs for video render but audio sucks.
post #4 of 13 Old 07-14-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

Nothing is that great of news. Software decoding for audio/video limits it to pretty much anything running only a tegra3 for some decent playback. Same problem is there with running xbmc on the meleA2000 and things video is ok using the supplied blobs for video render but audio sucks.

Pivos already has HW decode working if you read the article....

Its an initial alpha port. They have to start somewhere.

by opening it up sooner rather than later they will attract more developers and expidite this process tremendously.

Time will tell.... I have a feeling in 6 months many of the doubters will be singing a different tune.

The worlds best media center just got better.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-14-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

hardware decoding is working on the mele a2000 also. but its no where near what people will think, But like I said the blobs are not that great to work with. And if i remember right the pivos is running the same A10 all winer chip with the mali400 as the mele A2000. Video works ok but audio is a killer, I give it way longer then a year before it becomes usable for people

This is not stuff that has been hidden and locked away the xbmc dev has been posting videos if things running on the A10 stuff. although they have been using the linux model for it. the android blobs suffer same audio issues. Take the Mele A200 for instance can play 2160p flawless under android yet it cant handle dts/ac3/ none of the loseless formats. Unless pivos has better access to audio blobs it will be the same thing.

im going off experience rather then some news article also.

If they can shape it into something awesome but I have my doubts on ever getting working HD audio, on xbmc/android

I for one will be trying it so if i see different I will be sure to update my post.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-14-2012, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
According to this thread in the Pivos forum http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=684 it can only down mix to stereo at this time, no bitstreaming of DTD/DD yet or HD audio. I could sacrifice HD audio and I could live with the fact that it may never become an option but just down mix to stereo is a no go. I hope that the firmware comes along that they speak of that makes bitstreaming possible, I'll be definitely buying one when/if it does.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
In case you wanted to mess around with it

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1772433

Xbox Live- DragonsLee

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." - Bruce Lee
post #8 of 13 Old 07-14-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Downloaded the app in my Atrix 2 phone. It can only see my W7 PC, it cannot find my server at all. Pretty useless since all of my media is in the server. Hopefully this will get fixed.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #9 of 13 Old 07-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

hardware decoding is working on the mele a2000 also. but its no where near what people will think, But like I said the blobs are not that great to work with. And if i remember right the pivos is running the same A10 all winer chip with the mali400 as the mele A2000. Video works ok but audio is a killer, I give it way longer then a year before it becomes usable for people
This is not stuff that has been hidden and locked away the xbmc dev has been posting videos if things running on the A10 stuff. although they have been using the linux model for it. the android blobs suffer same audio issues. Take the Mele A200 for instance can play 2160p flawless under android yet it cant handle dts/ac3/ none of the loseless formats. Unless pivos has better access to audio blobs it will be the same thing.
im going off experience rather then some news article also.
If they can shape it into something awesome but I have my doubts on ever getting working HD audio, on xbmc/android
I for one will be trying it so if i see different I will be sure to update my post.

The Pivos is not using an All Winner A10 and hardware decoding is not yet working on the A10 with XBMC but it is in development for Android and linux. The lack of comprehensive audio support is common among Android/GoogleTV boxes due to licensing issues, Dolby and DTS have become very strict these days, there is an unofficial patch which enables Dolby AC3 and DTS under Android for All Winner. Hopefully linux work proceeds on the A10 and we can fully unlock the potential of the hardware.

The Pivos XIOS-DS uses an Amlogic 8726-M1 chipset and hardware decoding is working for those only under Android. The XIOS-XS from Pivos will be a linux based player on the same hardware.

No other Android chipsets are supported just the Amlogic at this time though that will obviously change quickly. If it works with another device then congrats you got lucky.

Also XBMC cant run on GoogleTV's easily as they lack the NDK, Google would have to issue firmware updates adding support for Android NDK to them. You can hack the players to install the NDK so it would be possible to run XBMC but not without a lot of work. I pray Google has the good sense to rectify this.

It's very early days and this was more of an announcement then release, a lot more spit and polish will be needed to get XBMC in working shape, it does run nice though on one the boxes I have, GUI is smooth and photo browsing/music works well but it is buggy.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-14-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

The Pivos is not using an All Winner A10 and hardware decoding is not yet working on the A10 with XBMC but it is in development for Android and linux. The lack of comprehensive audio support is common among Android/GoogleTV boxes due to licensing issues, Dolby and DTS have become very strict these days, there is an unofficial patch which enables Dolby AC3 and DTS under Android for All Winner. Hopefully linux work proceeds on the A10 and we can fully unlock the potential of the hardware.
The Pivos uses an Amlogic 8726-M1 chipset and hardware decoding is working for those only under Android.
No other Android chipsets are supported just the Amlogic at this time though that will obviously change quickly. If it works with another device then congrats you got lucky.
Also XBMC cant run on GoogleTV's easily as they lack the NDK, Google would have to issue firmware updates adding support for Android NDK to them. You can hack the players to install the NDK so it would be possible to run XBMC but not without a lot of work. I pray Google has the good sense to rectify this.
It's very early days and this was more of an announcement then release, a lot more spit and polish will be needed to get XBMC in working shape, it does run nice though on one the boxes I have, GUI is smooth and photo browsing/music works well but it is buggy.

I should have clarified that A10 hardware decoding is working with android players, mx player, bsplayer and so on So im just going to guess if you installed the new xbmc build hardware might work also on the A10 have not tried it yet.. So with xbmc not having audio and none of the stock players having audio its seems they are all using the same blobs which is a shame. So either have to wait for a company to make better blobs or hope someone can reverse engineer what is out there to make it better. As seems the only thing holding everyone back is what is out of there control, Hopefully xbmc has some sway with pivos to light a fire under someone to get working blobs out. Then everyone can be happy, as stock Players will work, xbmc will work, and its a win win.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 01:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Android has a very fragmented hardware acceleration system for video using OpenMAX, it's full of issues from what I've heard & it's not a unified as something like DXVA under Windows so even if the platform supports OpenMAX it still might have to be tailored in some fashion to work with XBMC. The A10 should be the next chipset in line to be supported under Android.

Hopefully XBMC acts as a unifying force on the Android platform making it's multitude of partners get their act in order.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 05:54 PM

Liked: 10
Even if Google TV can't make good use of android apps, xbmc could make good use of a nexus Q.

http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-q-running-cyanogenmod
post #13 of 13 Old 08-19-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I just installed the 17 Aug nightly build on two android devices.
HTC EVO 3D (Neon)
Asus Transformer TF101 (Tegra2)

Streams from my ReadyNAS without issue (when Tegra2 hardware rendering is supported it will be complete) Not that I intend to watch a lot of HD video on either device. To me just having smb streaming to ALL of my music is huge. Mowing the lawn, washing the car - I am no longer limited to what I have stored locally to the device.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page