Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1468 Old 01-19-2014, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by canton160 View Post

Mede8er players has jukebox function built-in.... no pc/mac are required.

So we have some conflicting information here... The Jukebox Function works on a Standalone Mede8er or does it require something to be loaded on a PC / MAC?

If you were going to do it all over again which would you stick with Mede8er or go with something else like Popcorn Hour, Dune or something else like an HTPC?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1468 Old 01-20-2014, 03:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post

So we have some conflicting information here... The Jukebox Function works on a Standalone Mede8er or does it require something to be loaded on a PC / MAC?

I think i was very clear, NO pc/mac required...the Mede8er has a built in movie scraper, check for the link in previous posts

But if the end user whants a more personalized jukebox, it can use pc/mac to built one with specific programs like Y2M, yadis, dunex etc etc

http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/board,103.0.html
Quote:

If you were going to do it all over again which would you stick with Mede8er or go with something else like Popcorn Hour, Dune or something else like an HTPC?

i choose Mede8er because its the one that allows me to sit and enjoy the show, no tweaks, no hassle, no issues , has being like this for months and months.
want a fancy app mede8er jukebox....done

Portuguese Blog & Forum Discussion about Audio & Video
Visit our Blog & Forum CinemaHIFI.PT
Like cinemahifi on Facebook
post #1173 of 1468 Old 01-20-2014, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Canton is correct, no PC/Mac needed for the Jukebox unless you want something more specific

The 800 has a fan where the 1000 does not if that is important to you. Other than that they are functionally the same, review the product matrix http://www.mede8er.com/mede8er_product_matrix.htm

If you're buying in the US the only place that I'm aware you can get it is Mediaconceptusa. Last I knew they updated the firmware before shipping, they had for my 1000. They may not install the latest beta firmware which maybe mikeemouse is referring to.
post #1174 of 1468 Old 01-20-2014, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post

The 800 has a fan where the 1000 does not if that is important to you. Other than that they are functionally the same, review the product matrix http://www.mede8er.com/mede8er_product_matrix.htm
From my post back in November 2013:

Comparing the 1000 and the 800:

The 1000 is aluminum die cast, fanless, up to 3 TB hard drives and some 4 TB drives. Both have SD card slot but the 1000 has Sony Pro Duo Card Slot also.

Looking at function/setup, the 1000 is much, much easier if you intend on taking the hard drive out/swapping. I use a Thermaltake BlacX to write files from my computer to the hard drive used in my 1000. A simple opening of the lid and a push on the drive to disconnect from the 1000, like hot swapping a drive, is all that's needed. In the 800 there appears to be 4 screws underneath the unit, then 4 screws attaching the HD to the unit, and then power/data cables to connect.

If all you need is to drop a drive in and leave it there, want a fan, and potentially better compatibility with 4 TB drives then the 800 is the way to go. Otherwise the 1000 offers better access to the HD and is noiseless (except for any HD noise).

Of course aesthetics are up to you - spaceship round versus a traditional box.
post #1175 of 1468 Old 01-20-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:

At this point and time, I don't think it is worth buying any media player. Dune support is horrible, PCH appears to having issues with importing their devices to the USA, and Mede8er is a decent media player. I think most people who buy the Mede8er will enjoy it. If I had to do it all over again from this point, I would go with a HTPC.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #1176 of 1468 Old 01-20-2014, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a MED600X3D a couple month ago. There was a lot to like about the player. It really did play everything I threw at it and it handled lossless audio where other players failed. I especially liked its ability to put up a movie wall with minimal amount of metadata.

However, I experienced three issues, the final being fatal. For some reason it would default to subtitles on with some DVD ISO files, not all. This was not a big deal since I could simply turn off the subtitles. Another problem is that I would see some frame rate issues. I know it supports 29.97 frame rate, but also does auto frame rate. Maybe I just didn't have everything setup properly, but I would see some very subtle picture jumps for all types of content. The big problem with the MED600X3D that I experienced caused me to give up on it and return it. The MED600X3D supports audio passthrough rather than bitstream. With passthrough, the player does not maintain a constant bitstream to the A/V receiver when skipping chapters, pausing, resuming and even layer changes. The digital bitstream is then broken up with segments of PCM. Practically all A/V receivers handle this without problem. However, my Marantz SR6004 as well as many Onkyo receivers don't. These receivers try to process the digital bitstream transitions which can produce non-continuous signals, resulting in clicks and even horrific pops that put the receiver and/or amps into protection mode. Luckily, I didn't experience any equipment damage when encountering this. I did find one thread where someone blew their tweeter. I found many other threads about this problem. It seems to be an inherent issue with the Realtek processor. It seems to be the only remaining video processor that uses passthrough instead of bitstream.

I have since purchased a WDTV Live SMP. With the latest firmware upgrade, it's working out quite well. I wish it supported a movie wall using simple metadata, but none of these players seem to do everything well.
post #1177 of 1468 Old 01-20-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana_av View Post

I purchased a MED600X3D a couple month ago. There was a lot to like about the player. It really did play everything I threw at it and it handled lossless audio where other players failed. I especially liked its ability to put up a movie wall with minimal amount of metadata.

However, I experienced three issues, the final being fatal. For some reason it would default to subtitles on with some DVD ISO files, not all. This was not a big deal since I could simply turn off the subtitles. Another problem is that I would see some frame rate issues. I know it supports 29.97 frame rate, but also does auto frame rate. Maybe I just didn't have everything setup properly, but I would see some very subtle picture jumps for all types of content. The big problem with the MED600X3D that I experienced caused me to give up on it and return it. The MED600X3D supports audio passthrough rather than bitstream. With passthrough, the player does not maintain a constant bitstream to the A/V receiver when skipping chapters, pausing, resuming and even layer changes. The digital bitstream is then broken up with segments of PCM. Practically all A/V receivers handle this without problem. However, my Marantz SR6004 as well as many Onkyo receivers don't. These receivers try to process the digital bitstream transitions which can produce non-continuous signals, resulting in clicks and even horrific pops that put the receiver and/or amps into protection mode. Luckily, I didn't experience any equipment damage when encountering this. I did find one thread where someone blew their tweeter. I found many other threads about this problem. It seems to be an inherent issue with the Realtek processor. It seems to be the only remaining video processor that uses passthrough instead of bitstream.

I have since purchased a WDTV Live SMP. With the latest firmware upgrade, it's working out quite well. I wish it supported a movie wall using simple metadata, but none of these players seem to do everything well.

You should pay a visit to WD Forums. I believe the WDTV's can run a jukebox from the player rather than a PC, but I'm not sure.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #1178 of 1468 Old 01-21-2014, 09:01 AM

Hi people. Can you suggest me MED800X3D or MED1000X3D (is it made of metall or plastic?) for using with Samsung UE55ES7500 and Sony STR-DN840? Has it good video 2D/3D and audio quality (DTS True HD & DTS Master Audio pass through) suitable for my electronics? I can't decide what media player to buy. Also I've seen many reviews about Xtreamer Prodigy (which called like player which can do all things with good perfomance) and Pioneer BDP-160 (best video and sound quality). Is MED800X3D or MED1000X3D better? Best of all I'am interesting in audio and video quality.

post #1179 of 1468 Old 01-21-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawgun View Post

Hi people. Can you suggest me MED800X3D or MED1000X3D (is it made of metall or plastic?) for using with Samsung UE55ES7500 and Sony STR-DN840? Has it good video 2D/3D and audio quality (DTS True HD & DTS Master Audio pass through) suitable for my electronics?
 I can't decide what media player to buy. Also I've seen many reviews about Xtreamer Prodigy (which called like player which can do all things with good perfomance) and Pioneer BDP-160 (best video and sound quality). Is MED800X3D or MED1000X3D better? Best of all I'am interesting in audio and video quality.

The MED800X3D has a fan, and the MED1000X3D doesn't have a fan. The MED800X3D is square / rectangular looking, and the MED1000X3D is more circular. They both support HD audio, and HD video. So, they are pretty much the same media player just different shell.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #1180 of 1468 Old 01-21-2014, 07:26 PM

Before I pull the trigger on one of these (probably the 600) can anyone verify for me that these units have DVD / Blu-Ray Functionality like Skipping to the next Chapter and things like that? I understand that they do not support Blu-Ray Menus which is fine with me.

I picked up a WD TV Live and while it is cool and really not bad for the cost it only seems to allow you to fast forward / rewind not utilize "Chapter" on Backed up Blu-Ray's and DVD's which is a complete deal breaker for my needs.

post #1181 of 1468 Old 01-22-2014, 03:54 AM

I have to say I am very impressed with Mede8er US Distributor Media Concept USA I e-mailed them late last night and they replied to me within an hour and after a few more e-mails and checking out the manual for the MED600X3D I pulled the trigger on one. Here's to hoping it will be everything I am looking for or at least close. I've had the worst luck with Media Players over the years. The closest I've come so far was a Micca EP600 which I actually like but had some inconsistent issues that the company couldn't really help me out with so back it went.

post #1182 of 1468 Old 01-24-2014, 04:54 PM

Just got my MED600X3D and so far I am pretty impressed. My only beef so far is the remote seems to be a bit jumpy at times. I already had the center button stick and I seem to get what I refer to as bounce which is when the device will jump down two or three things to each button push but that doesn't seem to be consistent at all. It seems to happen in the set-up menus more than anything.

That said I was able to connect it to my network, locate and "Favorite" all of my shares and so far playback has been flawless **Knock on Wood** this includes both DVD and Blu-Ray Rips. Could this finally be the one player I've been looking for? It almost looks like it supports Down-Mixing of the Audio but will have to play with that as I've already converted my Blu-Ray Rips to AC3 since my Sound Bar does not currently support DTS.

I am currently enjoying Dido Live in Concert which is pretty awesome in surround =)

I still have to figure out how to use the Jukebox function but that might not even be a big deal for me since loading my thumbnails is almost instantaneous when browsing a folder.

I will report back in a few days once I've had some more time to play with it.

Thank you to everyone that has responded to my questions before!

post #1183 of 1468 Old 01-26-2014, 10:11 PM

Well apparently I spoke to soon, I got my Mede8er 600 on Friday afternoon got it all set up and it was working great, I messed around with it a little more on Saturday without any issues. Today I go to use it and it was still powered on and locked up completely with the Screen Saver. I had to hold the power button on it to get it to power off.

I power cycled it and went to watch a DVD (some Dido one I was watching as a test) and it played about 2 minutes and locked up solid again. Pulled the power cord this time and tried it again with another video and this time when it came up to the main menu it was completely unresponsive to the remote as well as the buttons on the front.

I can not believe the luck I am having with these players!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions? I was told in the e-mail that I received when I ordered it that the latest / greatest firmware was loaded on it before being shipped. I am not even sure if I can update it at this point since I can't seem to get it to do anything other than power on before it locks up.

post #1184 of 1468 Old 01-27-2014, 03:29 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Just got my MED600X3D and so far I am pretty impressed. My only beef so far is the remote seems to be a bit jumpy at times. I already had the center button stick and I seem to get what I refer to as bounce which is when the device will jump down two or three things to each button push but that doesn't seem to be consistent at all. It seems to happen in the set-up menus more than anything.

This seems to be common to all X3D models. Usually, remote transmitters send a command serially, for as long as the
button is pushed. Once the receiver decodes a command, it will execute it and then ignore the current command stream
until the button is released. The net result is that each button push is executed only once. Looks like the X3D models
continue to execute commands from the same stream, for as long as the button is pushed, without waiting for the next
stream. This results in very annoying behavior. For example, clicking OFF can turn the unit off and immediately ON again.
Or, clicking to the next file in a row will skip that file and play the file further down the line.

The workaround is to click button very quickly (but not too quickly). For some (like me) this is easier said then done -- i
forget often.

The whole thing is a shame, as it is very easy to implement correct logic, unless the circuit is embedded in an IC.

-- Ron
post #1185 of 1468 Old 01-27-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Does anyone have any suggestions? I was told in the e-mail that I received when I ordered it that the latest / greatest firmware was loaded on it before being shipped. I am not even sure if I can update it at this point since I can't seem to get it to do anything other than power on before it locks up.

You should still be able to reflash using the emergency procedure.
post #1186 of 1468 Old 01-27-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:

You should still be able to reflash using the emergency procedure.

I tried but it never seems to read my USB Drive. Do I have to do something special to the Thumb Drive for it to be recognized? I am formatting it through Windows 7 as FAT32.

According to what I am seeing I should download the firmware, extract it and put the .img file in the root of the thumb drive.

Connect it to the Mede8er

Remove the Power Cord

Plug Power back in and hold the power button for 15 seconds which will cause it to load the firmware after verification

When I do this I get a strange blue and white "Logo" on the screen and it just sits there, never accessing the Thumb Drive once.

Am I missing something?

post #1187 of 1468 Old 01-27-2014, 06:56 PM

Your procedure looks correct. Try a different flash drive, I've read that some are problematic. If you have any external drives connected to it you should disconnect them as well before updating. The power button you hold needs to be the button on the front of the player and not the remote, I saw someone making that mistake before. smile.gif
post #1188 of 1468 Old 01-27-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:

Your procedure looks correct. Try a different flash drive, I've read that some are problematic. If you have any external drives connected to it you should disconnect them as well before updating. The power button you hold needs to be the button on the front of the player and not the remote, I saw someone making that mistake before. smile.gif

I've tried 4 different USB Drives and none of them are being detected by my Mede8er at all. I am using all different sizes and brands. I don't have anything else connected VIA USB (Including Hard Drives). Is there something I am missing or do I just have a unit that is defective?

Oh and I am holding the power button on the unit itself and not on the remote.

post #1189 of 1468 Old 01-28-2014, 04:39 AM

I'd say it's defective and to swap it out. It happens with all devices, it sucks of course I know. I see you posted in the Mede8er forum as well so you must have tried their suggestions without avail?
post #1190 of 1468 Old 01-28-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:

I'd say it's defective and to swap it out. It happens with all devices, it sucks of course I know. I see you posted in the Mede8er forum as well so you must have tried their suggestions without avail?

Yes I tried everything and then some... The unit doesn't even recognize anything I connect to the USB Ports and this includes 5 different Flash Drives of different sizes / makers as well as 3 different USB Hard Drives so something is up with it. I am returning it and getting another one... Here's to hoping that the new one doesn't have any issues.

post #1191 of 1468 Old 01-30-2014, 02:46 PM

Liked: 12
I really like the 600 streamer one of the bedrooms, but in my main theater room, I used to use Dune media players but recently built my own HTPC.

My experience with Mackcam Warranties. Projector sent with HDMI issue, returned with Lens damage. Still no ETA. 6 Months waiting to date. Sporadic response from CS. Stated it was sent to Epson, but was sent to another repair shop.
post #1192 of 1468 Old 01-30-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Media Concept has always done great service for myself as well.
post #1193 of 1468 Old 02-03-2014, 03:19 PM

After what seems like years of reviewing and lurking in these forums I finally pushed the confirm order button from Media Concepts on a new 800 (wi-fi model). I think initially I will just connect my 3tb and 4tb drive to it and run it from there. Eventually I will go with some type of server (thinking unraid for now). Can't wait. I hope my wife likes it because I keep telling her it's going to be great. We have the hardest time picking out movies so I hope this is going to make it a little easier.
post #1194 of 1468 Old 02-03-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Probably harder as you'll end up with more movies to choose from than you have time to watch smile.gif.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #1195 of 1468 Old 02-03-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Probably harder as you'll end up with more movies to choose from than you have time to watch smile.gif.
Your probably right! Now I need to finish off my ripping. Down to my last row on the shelf. Should be done by the time it arrives.
post #1196 of 1468 Old 02-03-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner33 View Post

Your probably right! Now I need to finish off my ripping. Down to my last row on the shelf. Should be done by the time it arrives.

Take it from someone that has tried many different Media Players. Maybe I got spoiled with an HTPC that I built many, many years ago using X-Lobby as my graphical front end and TheaterTek as my player both of which are not around in their original form / are only offered as part of overpriced systems.

I think you will be impressed with the Mede8er Player, so far I am loving mine but only use it for movies and nothing else. Once I figured out how to get the Scraper Application to work properly with my library which is many, many years old I am very happy with it.

I got mine in 2 days and I am across the country so you should get it soon.

Keep us posted

post #1197 of 1468 Old 02-04-2014, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just went to check and I was going to get a 450X2 that will fit my needs. Now the company only shows the 400X2S.
So I guess the 450 is discontinued but that is all that mediaconcept carries. Should I go ahead and get the 450 or wait for a 400?
I am in no hurry.
post #1198 of 1468 Old 02-04-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Looking at 450X2S' specs, I don't see how it differs from X2. Same hardware, same firmware. But, of course for just $11 more, you may as well spring for the 600X3D.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #1199 of 1468 Old 02-05-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post

I just went to check and I was going to get a 450X2 that will fit my needs. Now the company only shows the 400X2S.
So I guess the 450 is discontinued but that is all that mediaconcept carries. Should I go ahead and get the 450 or wait for a 400?
I am in no hurry.

I don't see the 450 in the companies "Product Matrix" which is here.

http://www.mede8er.com/mede8er_product_matrix.htm

Looking at the Specs for the few extra $ I would go with the 600 which is what I went with and I am thrilled with it so far **Knock on Wood** =)

post #1200 of 1468 Old 02-07-2014, 06:53 AM

Hi all. I've recently purchased a MED1000X3D (my first streamer device) and am getting acquainted with the jukebox and how to set it up. I've been reading that the Yamj jukebox supports boxed sets (for example, having Batman Begins, Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises under one movie icon, which when clicked on will show all three), but I haven't been able to get it to work. I'm beginning to think that maybe this device doesn't support this feature of the program. I noticed some users posted about it in the Mede8er forums but received no responses. Is it possible to do this using the Yamj jukebox on the Mede8er devices? Thanks in advance.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Med1000x3d Hd 3d Multimedia Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page