post #1411 of 1432 Old 06-28-2014, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
Two reasons why I don't buy Mede8er:
2) Jukeboxes aren't plug and play compared to Zappiti or 10Muse.
I've never used Zappiti or 10Muse and it may not compare but I'd say it's pretty plug n play...maybe just not to your preferences. I point it to my share and tell it to scan and a few minutes later I have a movie wall with movie sheets. Looks good enough to me and couldn't be much easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1432 Old 06-28-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Not sure what you mean by "band aid".

I archive with forced subtitles enabled. The X3D is set to display English subtitles. Since the only archives I have that are made with subtitles are the ones with "forced" I see them and nothing else.

For those archives that have no subtitles they of course show nothing.

Is that want you mean by "band aid"?

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #1413 of 1432 Old 06-28-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

"to me and couldn't be much easier. "

If you are talking about the X3D's scraper and jukebox creating stuff I agree. It really was simple as compared to SRJG, some of the other jukeboxes.

While I don't use them, I did play with them.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #1414 of 1432 Old 06-28-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
Not sure what you mean by "band aid".

I archive with forced subtitles enabled. The X3D is set to display English subtitles. Since the only archives I have that are made with subtitles are the ones with "forced" I see them and nothing else.

For those archives that have no subtitles they of course show nothing.

Is that want you mean by "band aid"?
Yes, this is the band aid fix. It won't matter to the X3D whether the forced stream has the flag set or not as it's simply playing the first stream, or in your case only stream. If forced subs worked properly you should be able to have multiple streams including the forced and with the sub-title option turned off the forced should show no matter the order of the streams. Currently the only way to get forced to show is have the forced stream be the first stream or be the only stream and turn on sub-titles.

I've never tried this, since I'm only concerned with forced subs and the only stream I have, but I'm guessing if you wanted to have say the Spanish subs playing then you would no longer see the forced subs as it will only play back one at a time given it doesn't honor the forced flag.

Last edited by djc11369; 06-28-2014 at 12:16 PM.
post #1415 of 1432 Old 06-28-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
"to me and couldn't be much easier. "

If you are talking about the X3D's scraper and jukebox creating stuff I agree. It really was simple as compared to SRJG, some of the other jukeboxes.

While I don't use them, I did play with them.
Yes I'm referring to the internal scraper. I'm not picky in how it looks, I know some are, but it looks nice to me and does a great job in getting the proper info. Once in a while it gets the info wrong on a particular movie but it's pretty easy to fix.
post #1416 of 1432 Old 06-28-2014, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Got Kill Bill subtitles figured out. They are not forced subtitles although it seems like they are.

There is a subtitle track that appears to be forced but is actually a regular stand alone subtitle track. If I select anything along the lines of "display forced" in either MakeMKV or DVDFab the resulting file while a few of the results played with subtitles via VLC, none of them played with subtitles on the 800X3D.

However if I did not check Forced for MakeMKV or DVDFab but just let it treat what is practically the forced subtitle track as a stand alone subtitle track, it was successful in playing back on the X3D with subtitles.

The way to get what is for all intentional purposes forced subtitles, I had to render them to the video track. That worked too once I figured out which one of the two English subtitle tracks was the "forced" one.

post #1417 of 1432 Old 06-28-2014, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Do you have the subtitles to be ON all the time under settings? Or do you make the first subtitle the forced sub track. I know Med8der doesn't support forced subs because is a Realtek chip issue, which will never be fixed.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #1418 of 1432 Old 06-29-2014, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Got Kill Bill subtitles figured out. They are not forced subtitles although it seems like they are.

There is a subtitle track that appears to be forced but is actually a regular stand alone subtitle track. If I select anything along the lines of "display forced" in either MakeMKV or DVDFab the resulting file while a few of the results played with subtitles via VLC, none of them played with subtitles on the 800X3D.

However if I did not check Forced for MakeMKV or DVDFab but just let it treat what is practically the forced subtitle track as a stand alone subtitle track, it was successful in playing back on the X3D with subtitles.

The way to get what is for all intentional purposes forced subtitles, I had to render them to the video track. That worked too once I figured out which one of the two English subtitle tracks was the "forced" one.
I haven't come across this but I have read that this is the case with some movies, the forced do not need to be extracted but are a separate stream. These are more difficult to identify and I've read some extract all the subs and look at the file size to determine if one is forced or not, the one with the smaller file size being the forced. I would guess even this isn't 100% fool proof at the onset as there are movies like Lord of the Rings where they are part of the movie and not a separate stream or forced. You would have to rip, watch and realize they're not there, and then extract and remux. There are some lists started by some individuals, Movies with forced subtitles, that help identify how movies are done but they're never 100% complete.
post #1419 of 1432 Old 06-29-2014, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well I had the MED600X3D to replace my WD TV Live for a couple weeks and it's now up for sale in classifieds. Here was my short experience with it...

The good:
- Easy to buy from US online.
- Really easy setup, the automatic movie scraping worked really well direct from device, played a little with changing titles and media library directories to accomodate the different structure Mede8er wanted compared to WD but it wasn't too hard. After a couple hours of tinkering I had everything setup coming from my NAS and had edited titles.
- Media jukebox interface, look/feel/responsiveness miles ahead of my old WD. Everyone who played with it was suitably impressed at how much better it looked.
- iPhone app worked nicely for navigating my media library also.
- Played all my content flawlessly.

The bad:
- When I start or stop playing video, the box loses HDMI handshake and reestablishes it. This means that in my case, my screen goes black for about 3-5 seconds then turns back on whenever you hit play or stop on a video. Mildly annoying, no big deal. Hunted around mede8er forums - this is just how it works.
- When I stop playing audio, pause a video, fastforward - the audio coming out of the HDMI pass-through will cause a POP or crack through the speakers. I similarly researched this on forums and this is again just how it works - appears to be due to mede8er box just dropping the bitstream mid-stream and some receivers not handling this oddness well - Onkyo seems particularly bad for this and seen multiple Marantz reports of this (I have a marantz sr6004). It didn't seem to me to be speaker-damaging type of sounds but its definitely annoying and buggy and I have very expensive speakers passing through monoblock amps out of the receiver so I could see how I could amplify and damage something and I'm unwilling to take that chance. Perhaps I am over-reacting but with no fix for this possible this was the one deal breaker for me. Unfortunate because I really liked the media player.
post #1420 of 1432 Old 06-29-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmatl View Post
Well I had the MED600X3D to replace my WD TV Live for a couple weeks and it's now up for sale in classifieds. Here was my short experience with it...

The good:
- Easy to buy from US online.
- Really easy setup, the automatic movie scraping worked really well direct from device, played a little with changing titles and media library directories to accomodate the different structure Mede8er wanted compared to WD but it wasn't too hard. After a couple hours of tinkering I had everything setup coming from my NAS and had edited titles.
- Media jukebox interface, look/feel/responsiveness miles ahead of my old WD. Everyone who played with it was suitably impressed at how much better it looked.
- iPhone app worked nicely for navigating my media library also.
- Played all my content flawlessly.

The bad:
- When I start or stop playing video, the box loses HDMI handshake and reestablishes it. This means that in my case, my screen goes black for about 3-5 seconds then turns back on whenever you hit play or stop on a video. Mildly annoying, no big deal. Hunted around mede8er forums - this is just how it works.
- When I stop playing audio, pause a video, fastforward - the audio coming out of the HDMI pass-through will cause a POP or crack through the speakers. I similarly researched this on forums and this is again just how it works - appears to be due to mede8er box just dropping the bitstream mid-stream and some receivers not handling this oddness well - Onkyo seems particularly bad for this and seen multiple Marantz reports of this (I have a marantz sr6004). It didn't seem to me to be speaker-damaging type of sounds but its definitely annoying and buggy and I have very expensive speakers passing through monoblock amps out of the receiver so I could see how I could amplify and damage something and I'm unwilling to take that chance. Perhaps I am over-reacting but with no fix for this possible this was the one deal breaker for me. Unfortunate because I really liked the media player.
I used to have an Onkyo receiver before the HDMI board started to fail, actually still have it sitting idle in storage after I replaced the defective components. I never had the screen go black but did occasionally get the pops, their would be handshake issues on occasion when booting but I attribute that to the board failing as I had the issue with other components as well. I replaced it with a Yamaha and no problems whatsoever to date. I've seen these types of discussions in the Mede8er forum about certain amps being problematic with no real solution. I'm not entirely convinced it's the amps fault totally as the mods seem to want you to believe otherwise I think the problem would be more widespread among other devices. The Onkyo had some other quirks as well so I don't really miss it...I think the sound was a bit better but the other annoyances and the fact the HDMI boards don't seem to last negated that fact.
post #1421 of 1432 Old 06-29-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Gus,

Yes, subtitles always on. But the only video files that have subtitles to display do so as if "forced" because none of my other video archives have any subtitles to display.

It also works very well to render the subtitle to video, there is no subtitle track that way and the subtitles become graphic images embedded in the video.

Can't turn them off but we're talking forced so you wouldn't anyway.

The problem is figuring out how the bluray is doing the subtitles to pick the right track and if it is or is not coded as "forced".

Which apparently for Kill Bill they are not coded as "forced".

post #1422 of 1432 Old 07-01-2014, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I believe that HDMI snapping occurs because of video signal transformations.. if you force bede8er to display only 1080p@60hz it wont snap the connection, but if it changes it back and forward 23,95hz to 60hz or 720p to 1080p etc. it'll go black and back on =P I like the option to play the native video content without excessive processing.. some receivers deal better that snappin "issue" and some worse.
post #1423 of 1432 Old 07-01-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post
I used to have an Onkyo receiver before the HDMI board started to fail, actually still have it sitting idle in storage after I replaced the defective components. I never had the screen go black but did occasionally get the pops, their would be handshake issues on occasion when booting but I attribute that to the board failing as I had the issue with other components as well.
Same here.

Got rid of the Onkyo and replaced it with a Pioneer. Problem solved. Won't be buying Onkyo again.
post #1424 of 1432 Old 07-01-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post
Same here.

Got rid of the Onkyo and replaced it with a Pioneer. Problem solved. Won't be buying Onkyo again.
I can't say I will not buy Onkyo again, defects can happen in any brand, but I will need to feel more comfortable that the problems have been addressed. At the time of replacement I was still reading too many reports of failed boards so maybe in another (hopefully) five years or so when it's time to replace the Yamaha they will have gotten past the issues and will be an option once again. The popping audio only happened with the Mede8er so I can't entirely fault the Onkyo for that issue.
post #1425 of 1432 Old 07-01-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post
I used to have an Onkyo receiver before the HDMI board started to fail, actually still have it sitting idle in storage after I replaced the defective components. I never had the screen go black but did occasionally get the pops, their would be handshake issues on occasion when booting but I attribute that to the board failing as I had the issue with other components as well. I replaced it with a Yamaha and no problems whatsoever to date. I've seen these types of discussions in the Mede8er forum about certain amps being problematic with no real solution. I'm not entirely convinced it's the amps fault totally as the mods seem to want you to believe otherwise I think the problem would be more widespread among other devices. The Onkyo had some other quirks as well so I don't really miss it...I think the sound was a bit better but the other annoyances and the fact the HDMI boards don't seem to last negated that fact.
However, Onkyo did step up and was fixing the bad boards for free well after people warranty's expired. Not a lot of companies will do that.

Looky here!
post #1426 of 1432 Old 07-01-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
However, Onkyo did step up and was fixing the bad boards for free well after people warranty's expired. Not a lot of companies will do that.
That's not true. Onkyo didn't do this out of the goodness of its heart. The shear volume of complaints forced their hand.... as it would ANY company. To ignore that many would have amounted to suicide.
post #1427 of 1432 Old 07-01-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
That's not true. Onkyo didn't do this out of the goodness of its heart. The shear volume of complaints forced their hand.... as it would ANY company. To ignore that many would have amounted to suicide.
You're right, they should have just waited for the class action like Samsung does. We can all see how that's affected Samsung.

Looky here!
post #1428 of 1432 Old 07-01-2014, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
You're right, they should have just waited for the class action like Samsung does. We can all see how that's affected Samsung.
Ahh... that's sarcasm, right?

Jokes aside, it's a pure money game. Operations like Samsung can afford a class action and it's probably cheaper for them to lose a few customers. Onkyo on the other hand is a MUCH smaller operation. Too many unsatisfied customers would kill the business.
post #1429 of 1432 Old 07-01-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Same here.

I hope you have better luck then me I actually traded in my pioneer for an onkyo. I had nothing but trouble with the Pioneer when it came to PCM audio and not syncing right and causing nothing but problems swapped it with the onkyo and had no problems yet. "knock on wood"
post #1430 of 1432 Old 07-02-2014, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
I hope you have better luck then me I actually traded in my pioneer for an onkyo. I had nothing but trouble with the Pioneer when it came to PCM audio and not syncing right and causing nothing but problems swapped it with the onkyo and had no problems yet. "knock on wood"
Well, don't get me wrong. The pioneer has its share of glitches too. Irritating, yes, but none of them show stoppers (although I can't say I've had PCM problems). The Onkyo however would come dangerously close to blowing speakers with its pop and crackle attacks. It was so loud at times that it would actually set off the speaker protection circuits and I'd have to cycle the power to get it going again. It was getting to the point where I was having to cycle the power as many as 3 times in a single movie. (I had the Onkyo TX-SR705 and now the Pioneer SC-1527)

No issues though with the Pioneer and the Med800. It all works fine. I will say though that I do have that screen blanking issue that DJMAT was talking about. A bit irritating but that's the 800 and not the pioneer. It becomes quite the PIA though when you want to continue a movie. The "resume/restart" option sign on the med800 only comes up for about 8 seconds or so when you restart the movie and 3 to 5 of those seconds are chewed up with a blank screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmatl View Post
- When I start or stop playing video, the box loses HDMI handshake and reestablishes it. This means that in my case, my screen goes black for about 3-5 seconds then turns back on whenever you hit play or stop on a video..
post #1431 of 1432 Old 07-02-2014, 03:01 AM

Liked: 0
I have the MED600X3D, with 2 external HDD's connected via the usb ports. When I power on the mediaplayer, the device itself starts up quite fast, but the problem is, I have to wait for about 5-10 minutes, before I'm able to acces my files on the HDD's. It seems like the mediaplayer has to "scan" the HDD's each time it is powered on.
Has anyone else experienced this? And is there a way to avoid this? Does creating a movie jukebox resolve the issue?
It is particularly annoying to have to wait this long when the player bugs out and resets while watching something (happens about once a month or so).
post #1432 of 1432 Old 07-19-2014, 05:50 AM

Liked: 16
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Med1000x3d Hd 3d Multimedia Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page