Help me pick a new router, please !! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-17-2012, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
It appears our D-Link DIR-655 router just bit the dust, and I need a new one ASAP. It only lasted 1.5 years, which is ridiculous, so I'd like to avoid D-Link. I need a router that will work excellent with Netflix HD streaming(wired connection). The only wireless uses are for 2 laptops in the house. What models do you guys recommend? I was told Linksys are very good. About $80 max would be nice. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-17-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Netgear, ASUS, Linksys.

I used to use a Netgear WNDR3700, which lasted 2 years. Then I stopped using it because it interfered with my U-Verse RG box.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old 07-17-2012, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Gus. Based on our usage(wired HD streaming) and wireless to 1 or 2 laptops, what features/speed do I need? I don't want to overspend, but I don't want a piece of junk either.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-18-2012, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Thanks Gus. Based on our usage(wired HD streaming) and wireless to 1 or 2 laptops, what features/speed do I need? I don't want to overspend, but I don't want a piece of junk either.

The ATT RG box that I am using is rated 100 MB/s wired, and the wireless is G rated one. I use the wireless for my laptop, tables and smart phones. The G rated speed works fine with my set up. I also stream movies from my UnRaid server, but everything is connected to a gigabit switch. The RG box is connected to my 8 port gigabit switch to provide internet to my devices that need it.

That being said, I would recommend pretty much any gigabit router. All of them should support a/g/n wireless connection. You can give the on from www.monoprice.com. I believe it cost about $30 dollars, and it works just as well as the ones that cost 3 times as much. I've seen the Netgear WNDR3700 as low as $80 dollars.

One router I was thinking of buying to replace my WNDR3700 was the Asus ASRTN56U. However, this one cost a little over $100 dollars.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #5 of 11 Old 07-18-2012, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. So I should get a gigabit router, since I'm streaming HD movies? I'm thinking of the Netgear 3700. Is it easy to set up? I know very little about computers.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-18-2012, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. So I should get a gigabit router, since I'm streaming HD movies? I'm thinking of the Netgear 3700. Is it easy to set up? I know very little about computers.

Its pretty simple. If you've got questions just call their support department. As long as your router is under warranty the will help you out. The only thing you will need to do is to secure your wireless network, which is pretty simple to do.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #7 of 11 Old 07-18-2012, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sounds good. I just read something on Netgear's website that has me confused. Under "System Requirements" it says "Wireless Adapter or Ethernet Adapter and cable for each computer". It also says to use a wireless dual band wireless adapter. Are these extra things I have to buy?
post #8 of 11 Old 07-18-2012, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
That just means that every device you want to connect must be wireless capable.

Netgear is a great router, I own two of them and neither has ever failed me, or given me problems.

My Gear
post #9 of 11 Old 07-18-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. And what about where they say "Use with an N600 wireless dual band USB adapter"? Is that something I might have to buy? I just want to make sure before I buy the 3700.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-18-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. And what about where they say "Use with an N600 wireless dual band USB adapter"? Is that something I might have to buy? I just want to make sure before I buy the 3700.

You don't need to buy anything. Your devices will either have a 2.4hz or 5.0hz (spelling) capabilities. So, you can set up the dual band option. If non of your devices have the 5.0 capabilities, I wouldn't bother setting it up, and just use the 2.4.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #11 of 11 Old 07-18-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. I picked up the Netgear 3700 today and it's working great. Luckily my daughter was around to set it up.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page